Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cd player wiring..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
opera guy
i bought a panasonic cd/mp3 player and it came with a wiring harness. all the speaker cables are hooked up with no problems. but the head unit is not getting any electricity. there was a Blaupunt amp and a no name head unit installed in there before, so i ripped them out ar15.gif

i only have three wires left to connect to the head unit. they are labled as such on the harness that came with the cd player.
1. Continuous 12V
2. ACC (i assume this is from the ignition)
3. Ground

The ground is no problem there are two brown wires left over from the removal of old HU and amp. i will remove one of these and use the other one for the ground.

i used a voltagemeter (multimeter?) and measured the three wire bundle that went into the old head unit, and whether the ignition is on or not, there are no 12v electricity. do i just keep going back wards and check where the elec. stops on these wires that suppose to have power? i replaced two inline fuses but still no juice. i checked the fuse panel under the dash (visually and with continuity check), and all the fuses are good. what am i missing here.

oh, i didnt know that different color fuses mean different ampage or resistence, so i might have put at least two of the fuses back in the wrong place. can anyone tell me what color goes where?

ug, this is so frustrating, i installed the same cd player in my accord w/o any problems. but 914 elec problems is part of the joy of owning a 914, no? <_<
sj914
If your getting 12v on the the wire without having to turn the key, then that would be your continuous, thats to keep the memory up on your hu. The 12v switched would be the one powering the whole hu. Now if both wirees check out, you might want to look at the head unit itself. I used to actually use some jumper wires to power them outside of the car to see if it would power up. And maybe hook up a speaker to see if I'm getting any power to the speakers.
sj914
Remember these are 30 year old cars. So the wiring for the radio could be someones hack together job to get the radio to work.
seanery
I believe the ACC is Accessory. It will power an amp when the head unit is turned on. I have also seen folks run power from the ACC for the antenna, you have to use a switch with it or the antenna will try to go up all the time (this is how my current teener was wired when I got it).
opera guy
that is the trouble. there is absolutely NO 12v anywhere, i check the wire that went to the old HU, no juice. check the wire that went to the old amp, no juice. guess i'll just have to work backwards and see where the power loss is happening (relay, fuses... etc)
McMark
The fuse on the very right of the fuse panel (#12?) gets 12v constant. Get a spade connector and some extra wire and connect it over there. You might need a piggyback spade connector. I can't remember. Make sure the head unit is fused or add an inline fuse.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.