Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A few questions.. new to me 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
matt_o_70
Hello,
I am a proud new owner of a 73 2.0 914.
I have a few questions that I think some of you may have already dealt with.
1 - temp gauge in center is consol inop. Is this oil temp? or CHT?

2 - car is currently set up with carbs. and there are 2 hoses routed to a catch tank mounted on the firewall there is alot of pressure / pulsation coming out of these when engine is running there has to be a better set up for this? crankcase ventilation?

3 - turn signal indicator on speedo initally blinks to the side you are turning then both flash but dimmly.. Is this normal operation? If So why is this.. and what do I have to do, so that I can modify the circuit to work as in modern cars?

4 - I think I want to put FI back onto this car.. what should I consider before I do this? any issues etc..

thanks
d7n7master
Welcome & Congrats on your new baby!!! smilie_pokal.gif
For F.I. - do a search on this board for KitCarlson. Then try Megasquirt. Then D-Jet.
As for the large pressure in the catch tank, and not knowing what "large" equals, I'd have to guess worn or broken ring/rings. Check compression.
lapuwali
The temp gauge is probably oil temp, as that's what came from the factory. The sender is in a plate on the bottom of the sump, leading edge, driver's side (the so-called taco plate).

On the hoses, one probably goes to the tower near the oil filler. This is the crankcase breather. The other probably goes into a rigid black pipe that vanishes up front. This is the fuel tank vent, and is the other end of the hose coming out of the small canister on the top of the fuel tank.

The turn signals are supposed to work like that.

If you don't have any of the EFI parts, your best bet is Ebay to find a complete setup. However, it's very likely in buying any used system that the MPS or the wiring harness are toast, as that's what often causes people to replace it with carbs. You can get a complete wiring harness new by looking in the vendor section of this board. Can't help on where to acquire an MPS.
SirAndy
QUOTE(matt_o_70 @ Jul 17 2004, 07:11 PM)
1 - temp gauge in center is consol inop. Is this oil temp? or CHT?

2 - car is currently set up with carbs. and there are 2 hoses routed to a catch tank mounted  on the firewall there is alot of pressure / pulsation coming out of these when engine is running  there has to be a better set up for this? crankcase ventilation?

3 - turn signal indicator on speedo initally blinks to the side you are turning then both flash but dimmly.. Is this normal operation? If So why is this.. and what do I have to do, so that I can modify the circuit to work as in modern cars?

4 - I think I want to put FI back onto this car..  what should I consider before I do this? any issues etc..

hello, welcome to the club! smilie_pokal.gif

1) oil temp, if it doesn't have numbers on it and has a red zone. the sending unit is on the "taco" plate, a round plate on the bottom of the engine, drivers side.
BUT, not all cars had the sending unit, early cars had only a cover there, without sender.
if your car was re-equipped with a center console it might not have the sending unit.
check under the car, the wire from the sending unit is green/black and there's a connector into the main harness on the pass. side in the engine compartement under the battery tray.

2) actually, there should be 3 hoses! one from each cylinder head vent and one from the oil-filler vent. on the stock FI all three vents go back into the air-filter so the oil-vapor can get burned. on carbs, they're usually vented into a "catch-can" (bottle or other container with baffles). for a clean install (re-using catched oil by re-routing it into the heads) look at CB Performance crank case vent kit for carbed engines: http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=238

3) NO. this is a ground problem. most likely, the PO has added a different speedo at one time and didn't realise that there are different models. you need to add a additional fround wire to your blinker bulbs, right now, they're not grounded right.
there's lots of brown ground terminals on all the gauges, just make sure the two blinker bulbs are grounded correctly!

4) get a complete FI setup for your engine from a running car (i know, might be harder to find, but troubleshooting used FI components is a bitch).
one problem could be, if the PO has actually put in a *hot* cam to go with the carbs (which is what you should do when converting to gain some HP).
the stock FI will not work well with a hot cam ...

hope this helps a bit!
Andy
94teener
Your tach is presently set up to flash simultaneously on both left and right indicators. You can rewire so that the system works like a modern car by rewiring as shown in the following diagram.

Phil
SirAndy
QUOTE(94teener @ Jul 18 2004, 06:00 AM)
Your tach is presently set up to flash simultaneously on both left and right indicators. You can rewire so that the system works like a modern car by rewiring as shown in the following diagram.

there's a difference between the tach's that are set up for blinker indicators blinking at the same time and blinkers that only blink bright once or twice and then go dim (and/or blink together when dim).

the latter is a ground problem ...
wink.gif Andy

PS: the 914 tach's where both blinker indicators blink at the same time are actually from "modern" cars, those were added in later years ('75 i believe). probably another attempt to save money ...
smrz914
For the blinkers i get thet with a lower draw of current through the wires. I know this because my indicators worked like a new car where on side blinks and the other doesn't, untill I changed to LED taillights. but it sounds like the ground problem that SirAndy describes.
tod914
there's a difference between the tach's that are set up for blinker indicators blinking at the same time and blinkers that only blink bright once or twice and then go dim (and/or blink together when dim).

the latter is a ground problem ...

Andy, my car does this on occassion. Where should I start to try to trouble shoot it?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.