Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Man Cave............
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hot_shoe914
Very Nice! smilie_pokal.gif
Spoke
Sweet! Not bad for a weekend's work for you and your friends & neighbors.
bigkensteele
Nice! Trying to figure out where the recliner and big-screen will be situated... Will it be air-conditioned?
cary
Nice, Byron. How many square feet?
racerbvd
QUOTE(cary @ Sep 17 2011, 09:25 PM) *

Nice! Trying to figure out where the recliner and big-screen will be situated... Will it be air-conditioned?

All in do time, got to set up the lift & compressers, but will be working on the lay out first, with the 12' walls, thinking a projector and a screen painted wall beer3.gif.

Been a long time project with many set backs, both the shop & my health and still have a few more things to go before I can really set it up, including a another vintage Coke machine to keep my drinks cool beer.gif
rick 918-S
Nice! aktion035.gif
Eric_Shea
smilie_pokal.gif What did you have to trade for all that? biggrin.gif
Lou W
Very Nice smile.gif
JRust
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 17 2011, 10:34 PM) *

smilie_pokal.gif What did you have to trade for all that? biggrin.gif

Nice lol-2.gif . Seriously sweet man cave Chris. Congrats
MikeSpraggi
A cave indeed! Looking great Byron. When's the open house ....err... cave date??? Must be broken in properly beerchug.gif .
JawjaPorsche
Every men needs a Man Cave like this! You are very lucky! Your wife will never see you again!
TheCabinetmaker
A crane for 4 12 pitch trusses? What a bunch of wimps! av-943.gif

Seriously, nice looking building. How you gonna treat the inside walls?
Zimms
Congratulations! It will fill up fast!
Cairo94507
Now that is the way to build a garage. That is very cool. I look forward to seeing how you set it up. pray.gif
JmuRiz
Wow, great space! That's a lot of friggin' block.
McMark
So cool! aktion035.gif
Thestigz06
Mancave build thread???? aktion035.gif
Tom_T
What was your total budget for that - not counting equipment, entertainment, toys, etc. - just the construction costs?

I assume you have hurricane tie-downs from the CMU walls to roof trusses?
messix
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Sep 18 2011, 10:36 AM) *

What was your total budget for that - not counting equipment, entertainment, toys, etc. - just the construction costs?

naw... he'll justr throw a blue tarp over it to hold it down! slap.gif
ellisor3
Very Nice Byron,

Let me know if you need help installing the TAP beerchug.gif
pdlightning
QUOTE(racerbvd @ Sep 17 2011, 09:39 PM) *

All in do time, got to set up the lift & compressers, but will be working on the lay out first, with the 12' walls, thinking a projector and a screen painted wall beer3.gif.

Been a long time project with many set backs, both the shop & my health and still have a few more things to go before I can really set it up, including a another vintage Coke machine to keep my drinks cool beer.gif

Is the compressor going outside and plumbed through the wall? In a covered area, you won't have to hear it run and it doesn't take up space in the CAVE!
Drums66
.....That looks cool & weather proofed(brick) aktion035.gif
enjoy!! bye1.gif
trojanhorsepower
Very nice Byron!

I have just started mine and can't wait for it to be done. Keep the pictures coming.

-Peter
FourBlades
Congratulations man! first.gif

Looks like the dream set up. piratenanner.gif

All you need is one working toilet somewhere on the property and you can tear the rest of the house down. biggrin.gif

John

PanelBilly
Too cool.
racerbvd
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(pdlightning @ Sep 18 2011, 01:46 PM) *

QUOTE(racerbvd @ Sep 17 2011, 09:39 PM) *

Is the compressor going outside and plumbed through the wall? In a covered area, you won't have to hear it run and it doesn't take up space in the CAVE!

Yes sir.. The compressors (I have 2, one out of the HSM race shop, along with the lift from that shop) will go on this corner and I'll build a cover for em..

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Well, it went WAY over budget as it required a LOT of concrete.. And yes, everything is built above code and since I couldn't build any taller (dang Town mad.gif ) the trusses were engineered to also support hanging shelves (loft like) to maximize storage space while keeping the floors open for other things.. A buddy designed the set up biggrin.gif
The double 2x8 bottom chord trusses will each support a direct download of 2,250 lbs, at 3' -7 5/8" from each wall. However, the download strength of the 3/8" threaded rod in the sample hanger I created for you is only rated at 2,105 lbs.

Is the 2,105 lb load sufficient for your needs, or should we increase to a 1/2" diameter threaded rod that will support 3,750 lbs?

Note:
Approximate normal floor loading design criteria for the main floor of a home is about 50 lbs per square foot (10.3 psf dead load, 40 psf live load). The 3/8" rod I've proposed and used in my sample would provide your loft shelves the equivalent of 386 lbs per square foot.

Let me know your thoughts as to which rod you'd prefer. We'll just have to ensure my bracket at the end of the threaded rod will also be able to equally support the 2,105 lb load the trusses can support.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
biggy72
Threaded rods huh? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyatt_Regency_walkway_collapse ..... just kidding smile.gif properly designed threaded rods are more than adequate. I'm definitely jealous.
smontanaro
Wow, not just a man cave, a Man Cave Bomb Shelter! I guess you have some problems with bugs gnawing on wood and the occasional stiff breeze down there in Sunny FL... smile.gif
6freak
dont see any hurrican clips on the trusses ?maybe not required !like here in Washington State aint that funny..and no wire mess on the slab ?maybe not required .....very nice place with lots of room to move smile.gif i know you will injoy it when its complete
Cairo94507
Hey I didn't even notice there is no re-bar grids in the pad. Here in CA you could never get away with that with all of the earthquakes we have here.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 19 2011, 04:22 PM) *

Hey I didn't even notice there is no re-bar grids in the pad. Here in CA you could never get away with that with all of the earthquakes we have here.

Rebar is mostly in expansive soils within the slab (rebar should be in the footings & column pads though), 4x4 WWM is more common on a house or garage slab. If it's 6"+ slab here in CA, then there's an exemption for no vapor barrier & no rebar/WWM in the slab. I know cuz when we competitively bid for the SoCal National Archives, our competitor under bid us by leaving out stuff like that, & that's a warehouse for storing critical PAPER records! We protested & warned the NARA PM, but he let it slide! dry.gif

He'll still have uplift & lateral forces to contend with from the hurricanes taken by the rebar from the footings & up the CMU cells, but he had an SE do the plans for him, so I'm sure hell be okay with that.

At least Byron, you could go up some, my city won't let me change anything or I have to tear down & rebuild the 1921 garage, because when the school district took the surrounding farm property for a high school in the 1950's, they set the side property line at only 2'!!!! mad.gif
racerbvd
QUOTE(6freak @ Sep 19 2011, 08:39 AM) *

dont see any hurrican clips on the trusses ?maybe not required !like here in Washington State aint that funny..and no wire mess on the slab ?maybe not required .....very nice place with lots of room to move smile.gif i know you will injoy it when its complete

Yes, the slab has the rebar, mesh & vapor barrier ( I have those pix somewhere, and the well over a foot thick, 2 foot in some areas w00t.gif ) everything was done to the ever changing & present FL. code, including the hurrican clips, beerchug.gif Plus, it still isn't finished, getting closer & checking for camera angles..

Wow, not just a man cave, a Man Cave Bomb Shelter!

Yep, I wanted a secure place for my 914-6s & other cars (plan on 2 lifts) cause I may still move to Portland, and if I do, I won't bew able to take all my toys sad.gif and yes, I installing camera in different spots idea.gif I want my cars & bikes safe..
914_teener
QUOTE(racerbvd @ Sep 19 2011, 06:17 PM) *

Yes, the slab has the rebar, mesh & vapor barrier ( I have those pix somewhere, and the well over a foot thick, 2 foot in some areas w00t.gif ) everything was done to the ever changing & present FL. code, including the hurrican clips, beerchug.gif Plus, it still isn't finished, getting closer & checking for camera angles..

Yep, I wanted a secure place for my 914-6s & other cars (plan on 2 lifts) cause I may still move to Portland, and if I do, I won't bew able to take all my toys sad.gif and yes, I installing camera in different spots idea.gif I want my cars & bikes safe..

Very cool Man Cave my man.

But......in Cali....I'll stand outside and drink beer! I know everybody worries about winds in Florida and those trusses will resist the wind.....as the engineering says....but.....

It those walls to the foundations that worry me. In California you have to tie those walls in laterally and horizontally. I don't see that anywhere in the CMU build. Do they let you wet set or post drill those dowels in? It won't hurt to load those walls with more static load from your stuff!
racerbvd
QUOTE(914_teener @ Sep 19 2011, 06:31 PM) *

QUOTE(racerbvd @ Sep 19 2011, 06:17 PM) *

Yes, the slab has the rebar, mesh & vapor barrier ( I have those pix somewhere, and the well over a foot thick, 2 foot in some areas w00t.gif )
This was the 1st pour, course it was thicker than this from the start, but this slab wasn't level, so it was added too (the pour pictured..
Click to view attachment
everything was done to the ever changing & present FL. code, including the hurrican clips, beerchug.gif Plus, it still isn't finished, getting closer & checking for camera angles..

Very cool Man Cave my man.

But......in Cali....I'll stand outside and drink beer! I know everybody worries about winds in Florida and those trusses will resist the wind.....as the engineering says....but.....

It those walls to the foundations that worry me. In California you have to tie those walls in laterally and horizontally. I don't see that anywhere in the CMU build. Do they let you wet set or post drill those dowels in? It won't hurt to load those walls with more static load from your stuff!

Rebar rising
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

This guy is bolting down the top plate, 1" screws that were set when the concrete was poured..
Click to view attachment
After the trusses were set, they went back over with more fasteners..

Click to view attachment
Cat 2 legal..
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Like I said, there are multiple truss designs in this roof biggrin.gif

At least Byron, you could go up some,

Actually, I can't, I'm as I as the town will let me go, unless I raise the roof on my house (don't laugh, I wanted to do this, but the funds & tiing weren't there unsure.gif ) and a metal building wasn't a choice either, as the town doesn't allow those eitheer mad.gif
Before I broke ground, I spent a lot of time at the Town Hall getting premitted and jumped through many hoops, plus, the "Town" is very small only ,5.6 sq miles, of which, 3.9 square miles of it is land and 1.6 square miles of it is water. so there are drive bys every day (not a bad thing, they have been doing that since I bought here in 95 and the guy who does likes to stop & BS with me when I'm out..
Cairo94507
It is an incredible garage and I am way jealous. Congratulations.
nsr-jamie
Nice !! Your garage is bigger than my home sad.gif
orange914
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Sep 19 2011, 08:43 PM) *

Nice !! Your garage is bigger than my home sad.gif

bigger than the town I live in.

NICE, I'm jealous! beerchug.gif
sixnotfour
Yep, I wanted a secure place for my 914-6s & other cars (plan on 2 lifts) cause I may still move to Portland,

Portland Oregon ? or Portland Maine ?

I have 1250 and it is not enough. blink.gif
914_teener
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Sep 19 2011, 10:23 PM) *

Yep, I wanted a secure place for my 914-6s & other cars (plan on 2 lifts) cause I may still move to Portland,

Looks great. I see the horizontal ties. Here they would want way more steel here because of the quakes.

No disrespect I hope.....probably the last thing ya want to hear after all the effort and money is to hear some other engineer question your cool Man Cave.

Job is done.

Enjoy the fruits....I would step inside anytime.

Congratulations!
racerbvd
QUOTE(914_teener @ Sep 19 2011, 11:30 PM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Sep 19 2011, 10:23 PM) *

Looks great. I see the horizontal ties. Here they would want way more steel here because of the quakes.

No disrespect I hope.....probably the last thing ya want to hear after all the effort and money is to hear some other engineer question your cool Man Cave.

Job is done.

Enjoy the fruits....I would step inside anytime.

Congratulations!

And you are welcome inside any time as well..

Click to view attachment
3d914
Now you built that just for 914s - right! biggrin.gif

AREA-914 aktion035.gif
URY914
I like the split-face block and the coiling door. STRONG stuff.
Krieger
Very Nice! flag.gif
Van
More like a man-fortress!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.