Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1971 Italian market 914/6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
sixerdon
This isn't meant to be an add, but rather a subject for study and discussion on an Italian market 1971 914/6. Lots of pics to look at. The car was sold and moved on to the southwest.

http://www.cannillomotorsports.com/pastinv...y/9146/9146.htm

Open for discussion........

Don
1970 Neun vierzehn
Not a frequently seen color.....though I personally like it.

Curious placement of a clock huh.gif

First thing I'd do is ditch the aftermarket radio.

The battery area appears to be in reasonable shape.....hard not to think it hasn't been fixed at one point though.

I wonder how long ago it's been repainted and the quality, prep and application thereof?

I'd like to see bottomside photos if I were a buyer.

It would be interesting to find the complete history and story of this Italian /6.

If the car is as nice as the pics show, 36K seems reasonable.

Paul
OmaPossu
Is back bumper from new (-73 - 76) model?
SirAndy
QUOTE(OmaPossu @ Sep 18 2011, 12:03 PM) *

That bumper would be correct for a 71 model ...
shades.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image
sixerdon
QUOTE(OmaPossu @ Sep 18 2011, 11:03 AM) *

It is also correct for '72 & '73 and in Europe, the '74's, also. (no bumper tits)

Don
porbmw
Curious re the front side markers...
IronHillRestorations
Well the bumper may or may not be the right one. I've seen some '71's with the triangular instep. I don't know about the air cleaner housing, all the original 6's I've seen are plastic.
OmaPossu
I think this is right bumper for -70 .. -72 modell
http://harrasteet.1g.fi/kuvat/OmaPossu/Possu914+006.jpg

and this -73..
http://harrasteet.1g.fi/kuvat/OmaPossu/Pro....4.2010+005.JPG
SirAndy
QUOTE(OmaPossu @ Sep 19 2011, 11:28 AM) *
I think this is right bumper for -70 .. -72 modell
http://harrasteet.1g.fi/kuvat/OmaPossu/Possu914+006.jpg

Nope. The sharp edged bumper was on early cars only ('70) and it was for both, the /4 and /6 cars!

All later cars, including the /6 cars had the rounded edges.
popcorn[1].gif
Jasfsmith
I was under the impression that all 914's (4/6) sold outside the US did not have the lettering on the engine lid. And side markers, wasn't that a US and Japan only item. Fuchs look strange. Were they refinshed?

I wonder if this was a US spec car destined for the US but delivered to Italy. Pehaps a service man stationed there?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Sep 19 2011, 03:59 PM) *
And side markers, wasn't that a US and Japan only item.

The car is in the US. In order to be streetlegal here, it needs the sidemarkers. So no surprise there ...

shades.gif
Cairo94507
SirAndy is 100% correct regarding the rear bumper (not that anyone doubted that BTW). I have owned original '70 sixes and my present six is a '71. Both of my 70's had the stepped rear bumper and my '71 has the same bumper as pictured on this car.
sixerdon
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Sep 19 2011, 02:59 PM) *

I was under the impression that all 914's (4/6) sold outside the US did not have the lettering on the engine lid. And side markers, wasn't that a US and Japan only item. Fuchs look strange. Were they refinshed?

I wonder if this was a US spec car destined for the US but delivered to Italy. Pehaps a service man stationed there?

Couple of things, James. Did you notice it did not have the expansion tank? Was this standard on the euro cars like yours? In reality, my expansion tank is useless and vents under the car like most /6's sold outside of CA.
According to Johnson's Authenticity book, Italy and Denmark also received the side markers along with Japan & US.
Also, the wipers are reversed. Is this an Italian set up?
Obviously, this car has been repainted and the over spray and lack of protection of the wiring harness is evident. The hold down tabs are bare without their covers.
We know how much faith we put in the CoA. If this car was an Italian delivery, then only the warranty book will provide the answer.
The car is still a rare '71 and only requires proper detailing of correct parts to complete.
Don
pete000
This car is now in AZ and offered at $50000.00 firm.

Nice car but there is overspray on parts from the respray. At that price I would want near perfection in the paint.

I think it now has earlier 15" 911 Fuchs which look better IMHO.
sixerdon
I did a little more digging and apparently this car did come from Italy. The story behind it can be found in the book "Porsches for the Road - The Survivor Series" by Henry Rasmussen, published in 1981. (which I have in my library) The story goes that a gentleman, Sam Cabiglio from SoCA, traveled to Milan, Italy back in '77 to buy cars for his business. Does anyone know him? In short, he found this car on the street with the then current owner and buys it from him almost on the spot......ships it to his place of business in Long Beach, CA.
The pictures depict the car as it was in the late 70's or around the time of the photo shoot. The PORSCHE script on the engine lid is not present. The amber side marker lens is present along with the clear turn signal lens (upside down) as mentioned in the Authenticity book. The headlight surrounds are black which means someone back in the day painted or replaced the white ones. It seems Sam kept the car for several years and at some point popped up on the east coast in NY. Now it has gone back to the southwest.
So, from $36k in '08 to $50k now, is it worth it? It does have provenance and is well traveled with two binders worth of records and receipts. I think it shows that the asking prices are rising faster on quality /6's. With a few detail improvements to stock condition I think it would sell on a world market.
Don
Pat Garvey
Nice!

Loved it for $36k. Not so much now.

Looks like Adriatic Blue, which I love.

Would like to see the bottom, but the topside & compartments are near perfect (from the pics).
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Sep 19 2011, 10:45 PM) *

Couple of things, James. Did you notice it did not have the expansion tank? Was this standard on the euro cars like yours? In reality, my expansion tank is useless and vents under the car like most /6's sold outside of CA.
Don

No expansion tank on my Euro car. Importing required that it meet DOT standards. They were very lax. All you had to do was show that it met the DOT (i.e. side markers) via photo documentation and approval was made. Bubble gum does a great job for "posing" such items for the camera. Fortuantely it was exempt from emissions testing.
pete000
Interesting history, the dealer has a lot of photos of the car top and bottom. They had it on a lift.

FYI: It has a side shift conversion with the OEM gear box. The numbers match so at some time it had a trans update.

The seats look to be smooth vinyl ? Not sure if that look quite right to me.

Also the lack of detail on the respray getting over spray on a lot of the parts makes the 50 grand asking price a bit steep IMHO...
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(pete000 @ Sep 22 2011, 08:59 PM) *

The seats look to be smooth vinyl ? Not sure if that look quite right to me.

Also the lack of detail on the respray getting over spray on a lot of the parts makes the 50 grand asking price a bit steep IMHO...

1971 smooth seat inserts would be correct.

I too would agree that the 50k is a bit much. I would peg it closer to 35k.

Regardless it is a very nice car.
haasman
I seriously looked at this car. I was, for a while, fascinated by it. It was after seeing the over-spray on the oil filler neck, wiring harnesses that it cooled for me.

I ended up buying a 1970 914-6 with 57k miles, in very original condition (white/brown). The previous owner was very keen on keeping the car original. All the previous 3 owners and uninterrupted paperwork documents the provenance. I even had to agree to offer him first right of refusal if I ever decided to sell it. The PO went through every area of the car. It has been repainted but only with the stock paint and color and only exterior.

Each little item I have done to the car is only done to keep it stock. There are some changes from stock, but these could easily be reversed such as deep-6 Fuchs and jet-coating the exhaust.

After a several years of researching the 6's, there are very few surveyors. Of these most have been converted to some sort of competition use. A truly stock 914-6 is a very, very rare car.

I think $35k for that car then was just about right. I paid more for my car and continue to be very happy I did.

Haasman
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.