Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what is the hardest turning motor sport?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
messix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5zV-dggA3Q
Elliot Cannon
Maybe if there were 4 more boats on the course at the same time. lol-2.gif
messix
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Sep 18 2011, 11:39 AM) *

Maybe if there were 4 more boats on the course at the same time. lol-2.gif

how would that make them turn harder? confused24.gif slap.gif

but you have a point..... get 4 of them on a course at the same time.... holy shit that would be wild and dangerous!
Ductech
A buddy of mine went thru a sprint boat track after the races in his 81 bronco with 38 super swampers. Sprint boats tracks and boats are bad ass biggrin.gif
Thestigz06
Its like the boat verion of auto-X!!!
damesandhotrods
I don’t know, maybe I’m an olde man, or maybe I grew up with too many Bond movies, but I fail to see the attraction.
messix
QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ Sep 18 2011, 02:25 PM) *

I don’t know, maybe I’m an olde man, or maybe I grew up with too many Bond movies, but I fail to see the attraction.

Go back to your rocking chair you old fart! slap.gif
pcar916
These races in Australia were a constant on the early Speedvision channel and before that, on all of the sports channels in the far east (Philippines, Singapore, etc.) in the late 1990's. I love 'em and you're right they are extreme.

A ten foot boat with 1000 hp is a treat to watch. Onboard video shows the navigator doing nothing but holding his hand on the dash pointing either right or left long before the actual turn. It looks like an AX but it's more like a rally race because the driver is reacting to the navigator if he wants to stay on the course.

Love it... hated when Speedvision cancelled this and Norwegian unlimited 4WD racing at the same time.

Sorry beggars... and yeah, I know why they did it so don't start.
6freak
QUOTE(messix @ Sep 18 2011, 11:34 AM) *

them race`n planes pull way more G`s and they crash harder as well

but yup AX on the water BADASS FUN
messix
QUOTE(6freak @ Sep 19 2011, 08:59 AM) *

QUOTE(messix @ Sep 18 2011, 11:34 AM) *

them race`n planes pull way more G`s and they crash harder as well

but yup AX on the water BADASS FUN

The sprimt boats pull 7g turns in an instant, not many planes can take that constant abuse
jhadler
The roll bars on those boats aren't there for looks. One error and the boat gets launched up onto the shore, rolling and tumbling.

-Josh
zymurgist
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Sep 18 2011, 05:55 PM) *

Love it... hated when Speedvision cancelled this and Norwegian unlimited 4WD racing at the same time.

agree.gif ar15.gif
pcar916
For those unfamiliar with what's now called Formula Offroad (in all Scandanavian countries as far as I can tell) here's a clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EetUh57PV_I

Just thought some of you needed this little exposure. 1K to 3k hp... wow.
Cap'n Krusty
Those airplanes we're all suddenly more aware of pull a LOT more Gs than car drivers or boat steerers could ever imagine. THAT'S the "hardest turning motor sport"!

The Cap'n
nsr-jamie
How about a ride on the space shuttle (now no longer) or some rocket to space? That would be some serious G force eh...probably some time in the future they will have rocket racing or something like that where you pull like 10 G and the winner is the one who doesn't lose his lunch icon8.gif
jhadler
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Sep 20 2011, 07:46 AM) *

How about a ride on the space shuttle (now no longer) or some rocket to space? That would be some serious G force eh...probably some time in the future they will have rocket racing or something like that where you pull like 10 G and the winner is the one who doesn't lose his lunch icon8.gif

More likely, it'll be the one who doesn't black out or suffer cerebral hemorrhage (extreme negative G's)...

-Josh
stugray
Actually the Shuttle was one of the most comfortable rides to orbit at only 2-3 Gs.

How about 20+ Gs?:

http://www.astronautix.com/flights/soyuz181.htm

Or

"the fastest man on earth" survived 46.2 Gs. that resulted in a detached retina & broken ribs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_P._Stapp

Stu
thenewwazoo
Wusses, all of 'em. All they do is sit still while strapped into a seat.

Now, what I do...

link to video smile.gif
Rand
QUOTE(thenewwazoo @ Sep 20 2011, 08:47 PM) *

Now, what I do...
link to video smile.gif

Yeah, I like monkeys! Very cool camera angles.
JmuRiz
I'd say this is...they penalize you if you do too many g's
IPB Image
Cap'n Krusty
You want cornering? Strap on your biggest set of cojones and hit the half mile dirt track with a bunch of young, fearless, death wishin' sprint car wranglers. Ventura and Santa Maria are calling you ......................

The Cap'n
bcheney
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 28 2011, 02:29 PM) *

You want cornering? Strap on your biggest set of cojones and hit the half mile dirt track with a bunch of young, fearless, death wishin' sprint car wranglers. Ventura and Santa Maria are calling you ......................

The Cap'n

I Agree with the Cap'n...If you've never witnessed World of Outlaws Sprint Car Racing..."Live and In-Person" you're missing one helluva show...Although that boat in the video was un-freakin real as well!!!!
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(bcheney @ Sep 28 2011, 02:38 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 28 2011, 02:29 PM) *

The Cap'n

I Agree with the Cap'n...If you've never witnessed World of Outlaws Sprint Car Racing..."Live and In-Person" you're missing one helluva show...Although that boat in the video was un-freakin real as well!!!!

Santa Maria Speedway used to be on the WOO circuit. The first time they ran here, the first car out on the track during qualifying dropped the lap record by a full second on his FIRST timed lap, beginning a lap after he took to the track. Cold engine, new and freshly graded track, cold tires, and pretty much guessing at the setup The old record was set by a non-WOO winged sprinter. Those guys are major serious top of the line drivers ................... You owe it to yourself to see 'em live if you have the opportunity. Just 'cause there's a bunch of cars out there on the track doesn't mean you're in for an evening of nascartainment, either. This is the real deal of racing.

The Cap'n

messix
I crewed on a 410 car years ago, we have a pretty good track up here that runs a national. And we also have a 5/8 mile asphalt oval that runs sprints.
I still think the lateral g-load on jet sprints is unmatched.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.