Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Great UFO autox today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Randal

Well it ended up being sunny for all the run groups today. Dennis Hale designed a great course and everyone had fun.

Not sure who won, but probably the A Mod guy with the big wings.

I was the tire warmer for Greg McNair, with his black buggy and fast engine. Tough shoehorning a bigger guy, like me, into that machine, but I actually made it around the course and warmed his tires.

The buggies are crazy fast, but with the bias weight issue they have a hard time turning. I managed, at the wrong time, to hit the throttle, go straight and totally miss the back corner, then went off course into official NAVY territory and totally embarrassed myself. mad.gif

But the course was great. Wish I had 222 out there.

Can't wait till I get some new tires and get back out in my machine.
grantsfo
Thing that amazes me is that I felt very slow in the Z. Then I was watching you guys in Mod class cars in group 4 flying around making slower or equal times. I must have been going fast in the Z but it sure didnt feel like it! I felt like I was crawling. Especially in the tight stuff. My car barely fit through that one section of tight turns in the interior of the course.

Overall very fun day. I think it was amazing you could even drive the buggy Randal. It was fun seeing you haul butt into that stright where I was working. Those cars are so cramped I cant even drive one!
Randal
QUOTE(Randal @ Sep 18 2011, 08:04 PM) *

Well it ended up being sunny for all the run groups today. Dennis Hale designed a great course and everyone had fun.

I was the tire warmer for Greg McNair, with his black buggy and fast engine. Tough shoehorning a bigger guy, like me, into that machine, but I actually made it around the course and warmed his tires.

The buggies are crazy fast, but with the bias weight issue they have a hard time turning. I managed, at the wrong time, to hit the throttle, go straight and totally miss the back corner, then went off course into official NAVY territory and totally embarrassed myself. mad.gif

I don't know what differential Greg is running in his black buggy.

But you have to wonder what could be done to get one of those buggies to turn?

grantsfo
QUOTE(Randal @ Sep 22 2011, 08:10 AM) *

Greg was turning. He has figured out weight transfer secret. He uses little short bursts. Front end was diving just as he was turning. It's all in technique. Buggies deny the slow in fast out strategy. They work better sliding into turns with no power and then blasting out full throttle.

Having said that I m pretty sure I could make big improvements on the current setups. But that would be so un buggy like!

Randal
QUOTE(Randal @ Sep 22 2011, 08:10 AM) *

It was pretty easy to figure out that the buggy wouldn't turn under power. That realization took place after the first couple of corners. Wax on, wax off, i.e., power on (straight) poweroff (to turn) is the mantra. You could also add power after you turned in, but only in serious moderation.

Who knows with a torque bias differential and magic weight transfer device you could go from 80% rear bias to something better.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.