Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Green Dots
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
74914LE
Has anyone seen this type of thing before? I have
a set of the long alloy lug bolts that came off of a car with the Performance Option. On the round tops of
the bolts, there is a green dot about 1/2" across. It
is the same color green as the struts. The paint survived over the years, thanks to the lug bolt covers. Was this a factory deal? I was going to have them replated silver cadmium, but not if this
would take away from there original state.

Thanks,
74914LE
davep
I believe that what you are seeing is the corrosion on the copper layer of plating the bolts have. If you ever see a copper roof it has the same appearance. Either the corrosion is coming through the cad layer, or the cad layer is worn away at that point. The only way to know is to remove the corrosion and see the color of the remaining layer. I need to get my bolts replated also.
Rusty
I remember reading that the factory marked certain bolts with paint to indicate they were torqued. I assume the dealer had to clean any of that visible marking off during dealer prep (like removing the paper on the rocker panels, etc).

There was that 72 (71?) car on the old 914 Club classifieds that had like some incredibly low number of miles, and a lot of the dealer prep stuff was still left on the car. Did anyone ever get pictures of that?

Are you sure the green dots are paint, rather than corrosion? (I've never seen either, personally.)

-Rusty smoke.gif
smg914
I think you got it right Lawrence. My understanding is that it was the factorys way of marking that the lug nuts were torqued.

I ordered a 914 2.0 in 1973 and when the dealer delivered it to me, I distinctly remember the green paint on the lug nuts. In fact, I actually have a close-up picture somewhere, when my car was only 3 weeks old that shows this.

And, my Sahara Beige car has it too. In fact, there are areas that the paint is actually on the wheel itself. At the 2003 parade, the Preservation Group judges wrote on my score sheet: "odd green spots on wheels". I tried to tell the judges that they came from the factory like this. I don't think they believed me. I have known about the green dots on the 914 alloy lug nuts and wheels for 31 years and it to see a parade concours judge, judge my car and not know about this really made me question their creditability to judge a 914.
tod914
The 73 1.7 (Italian), with 7500km on it, was never dealer prepped. That car has yellow stickers on the lugs.
Mike9142.0
My 73 has the light green paint on the lug's.
I was reading the recall info that was posted and it had something about green dots on good wheels and red dots on bad one's.
Could the green paint be the way the dealer know's the wheel recall was done?
davep
I have heard a few tales of such color marks on bolts also. I have never seen any however. How about if those of you that can properly document such items do so. What we need is some close-up photos to show the details. Very few cars have any such original detail remaining. Things like campaign decals, the white marks on the engine tin, labels on the transmission bell housing are other such items.

My previous remarks about the copper corrosion was based on the most likely situation that I have seen. I'm happy to be wrong in this case.
TimT
I have heard a few tales of such color marks on bolts also

On some year 911s one lug bolt had the end painted, this was to align the valve stem with when you put the wheel on.. Im not sure if Porsche still continues this practice
Mike9142.0
The green paint on my lug's is the same color as copper corrosion.
davep
So, is it paint or corrosion? Give it the acid test. A weak acid should dissolve the corrosion but not affect paint.
Anyone have some photos?
74914LE
Here is a picture of the lugs. These came off of a 73 2.0 with all the options.
Based on the VIN#, it was very early in the run. I will give one of them the
Acid test to verify. Just did not want to do anything to them until I had some
clarification, as I had not seen this on any of my other sets.
davep
Since the color shows on the hex faces as well, and the color is consistent with copper corrosion, I'd opine that it is corrosion. Probably the plastic caps kept the heads wet much longer than they would otherwise be, and this is the result.
smg914
The green on those lugs does look like corrosion. On my beige 914, it's a very thick dark green paint that looks like it was slopped on. Most of it is on the sides of the lugs and on the wheels. It's so thick that you can catch it with your fingernail and attempt to chip it off. However it's so hard that it won't chip off with my fingernail. On my wheels, it's definately NOT corrosion.
Cap'n Krusty
They came painted. At least the hundred or so I PDId at the dealer in 73/74 had the paint marks. Maybe those were the only ones, though .................. The Cap'n
JeffBowlsby
The BO recall which only applied to ~8100 early 1973 cars, with alloys, might have paint on them...but the paint should be on the rim, not the bolts according to the recall paperwork...but maybe they just got a little sloppy? cool.gif

"BO
Dec 8 1972
Forged alloy rims - 2 liter cars only
914/4
Verify correct part number/dimensions, replace rim
Green paint dot on correct rims"
smg914
FYI,
The VIN # of the 914 2.0 (with fuchs) that I bought new in March of 1973 was 4732913397 and the beige one is 4732926371. Both have the green paint on the alloy lugs/wheels.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.