Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wide Band O2 sensor controller
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lmcchesney
The topic of WBO2 sensor and controller comes up again. I have done a search on the forum, but have not found complete information.
Which controller is the best option for the LSU O2 sensor?
GoTech manufactures a unit for $350.00
Tech Edge has a DIY kit for the controller for $145.00 USD.
MegaSquirt speaks of a stand alone O2 wide band unit but I cannot find a finished reference or site for purchase.
AfreshBoardBOM http://www.squirrelpf.com/msavr/index.php?...=AfreshBoardBOM speaks of a unit, but seems to be still in design phase.
A preferable option would be a unit that could interface with MegaSquirt and/or Kit Carlson unit. Dave Hunt, do you use a WBO2 closed loop feedback to your MegaSquirt? Is the SuperMegaSquirt design include an O2 sensor input?
I'm at that point in the design and can't seem to find a reliable experience source.
Thanks,
L. McC
lapuwali
UltraMegaSquirt (not Super) will have WBO2 driver circuitry on-board, but it's still a ways off.

IMHO, the DIY angle of WBO2 is still too new to rely on. I'm not entirely convinced it's a good idea for the T4, either. O2 sensors, esp. the WB units, are easily contaminated by oil in the exhaust, and T4s are a bit oily. I'd use one of the hand-held meters (Innovate, or the complete Tech Edge thing, which is more than $150 with the display) to set up an open loop MegaSquirt, then remove the sensor and use one of the screw in plugs to seal the hole. You can reuse the sensor later to double check things at tuneup time, but run open-loop most of the time.
DNHunt
I used the DIY-WB unit with an NTK sensor. I killed 2 sensors in a year. I just installed a TechEdge yesterday with the Bosch LSU 4 sensor.

I needed to mess with the firmware as it seems less tolerant of changes in temperature and would progressively read leaner as everything got hot. Seems like it working now but I only have about 30 miles on it.

I agree with tuning and running open loop. I've run it both ways open and closed loop with 3 different AFR targets with MS and I can't tell any difference. So after I'm satisfied I'll take it back out.

Dave
jandro62
tech edge also has a slightly more expensive version that is not DIY. I'll let you know when I get around to installing it next week how it performs.
mightyohm
The Tech Edge kit worked fine for me. I was driving around with it for a few weeks before I broke my car again.
airsix
I have the inovate unit and it's great. Built-in data-logging of mixture. If you have the aux-in cable you can data-log mixture vs. rpm, MAP, TPS, temp, whatever. Very nice. Data-logging mixture vs. rpm has been very handy. This is the one to get IMHO.

-Ben M.

ps - it uses the LSU sensor. I've had it running on the car all summer - no problem except that it doesn't like to get wet. It's fine once I dry out the plug.
3d914
L. McC,

I came across some WBO2 sensors info that I was considering for my MS installation. I was surprised because the pricing was very reasonable, and the part numbers were VW.

The MegaSquirt (ver 2.x) supports the WBO2. I've been running open-loop since my install, but would like to have one available for tuning and emissions prep.

Email me if you're interested in the VW sensor info.
lapuwali
The VW sensor is the LSU sensor, I believe. New, cheap, Bosch stuff.
TimT
p/n for Bosch LSU4 sensor 0 258 007 057

Here it is for $40

Im going to look it up on WorldPac...
lmcchesney
It seems like continous running of the WBO2 sensor in the TIV has problems. Has anyone used the Gunson Gastester for temporary A/F tuning?
The LSU sensor can be purchased at 1st VW parts for about $25-30.
L. McC
lapuwali
I'd use the WBO2 for TUNING, I'd just not use one as part of a closed-loop system on a Type IV.

Dunno anything about the Gunson unit. It's been around awhile. I'd still lean towards one of the hand-held WBO2 units primarily because they'll allow you to run it on the car while driving under load, and they generally log other things besides AFR, which can be very useful (RPM v AFR in particular). The Gunson is really only useful for tuning idle mixture.
fiid
I've done the DIY-WB thing as well. I ended up tuning and then running open loop. There are several problems with the diy board that make it quite tricky to get running in a dependable way - namely the heater circuit is reliant on several resitances, and as such is not usually capable of heating the sensor properly in a 914 (mine has taken as long as 5 minutes to get to temp).

It's not for the feint of heart, but will give you enough information to get your MAP close to right. I was very happy with my MSed 1.7 before I gave up for a bigger engine.

It is worth going wideband though - the days of tweaking carbs or FI based on exhaust smell and color, sound, and jedi mastery are gone. It's much much nuber to have hard numbers to back up your adjustments.
mightyohm
The Tech Edge controller doesn't have the supply voltage problems (at least I have not noticed them). The unit is spitting out data within 30 seconds of starting the car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.