Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NPC: Any BMW 5 Series Sportwagon owners out there?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dion9146
The Wife decided to see how far her Honda Pilot could travel in the air yesterday after hydroplaning, jumping a drainage ditch, flying through a small tree, and crushing the right side. I'm pretty sure the car is totaled, but she is OK and that's all that counts.

She has already started shopping around for a replacement, and we are taking the opportunity to escape from Sport Ute hell. We've spotted an older 2000 5-series sport wagon that looks like its brand new. A one owner vehicle with a spotless, and well maintained carfax report. A quick search on the internet shows that these things seemed to be pretty reliable, but I've owned more than one BMW and also know repairs can be costly if done at a dealer.

Anyone out in 914-land own one between the 1997 and 2003 model range?

Thanks,

Dion
rick 918-S
It's a Touring. Sandy likes to give me a bad time and calls it a station wagon.

My last one was a 1995 525I T. Purchased at around 80 K miles sold it three years later with 247K. These were very trouble free miles. I got 28-29 mpg on the highway.

Click to view attachment

My current one replaced the 95. It's a 99 528I T. Purchased with around 80K last fall it now has well over 100k already. I don't like the air ride, I don't like the seat. Driving long distance like I do kills my back and makes the backs of my thighs ache so much I'm constantly shifting in the seat. I can drive my 914 1000 miles and without any issues.

I think I have to consider selling it. It doesn't work for me. I've owned many BMW's but this one fell short. I think If your not driving long distances you could be fine.

Oh, I get around 24-25 mpg on mid grade. The 95 525 had more power. It was more like a Sport Touring than a slow family hauler. And the front end has a rattle sound that I think is going to be expensive and the air pump for the cold start failed throwing the check engine light. The pump is like $ 250.00.

Granted, I think this car was less cared for my the previous owner. I'm not upposed to make a few repairs as a car ages. Specially when I drive the hell out of them but the seat issue I can't live with.

Click to view attachment
dion9146
Great info. I appreciate the feedback. I suppose butt comfort is a personal preference, but I will look for that during a test drive.

Dion
jpnovak
I have a 2003 Volvo V70 wagon as a DD. Super comfortable on trips. Gets 28-29mpg hauling 80 down I10. ~22mpg in town.

I test drove the E39 BMW wagons. not nearly as much cargo room as the V70. This was important for us with the dog/kid on trips.

Swap a set of Biilsteins and springs on the V70 and have some fun in the twisties as well. Did this at 90K miles when the stock struts were too worn/soft for my liking.

Avoid the 2001 and some 02 models as they have transmission issues.
Dave_Darling
A buddy of mine bought one of the 5-series wagons for his wife.

Now he drives it, because his E30 3-series was getting a little stiff for daily commuting. He loves the thing, but he was already a Bimmer fan before he bought the car.

--DD
BuddyV
Not that you asked, but I bought a Volvo V70R after considering the BMW wagon.... I love the Volvo.

It's a 2004 and I still admire the interior every time I drive the car.

Oh - and the power is awesome when you get your foot down! (300 HP, twin intercooler, Brembo brakes, AWD....)

Good luck! The Beemer is a great car, too.
dion9146
Funny, I stopped by my buddies lot today to check it out in person and right next to it sits a 2000 V70. It's taken me 10 years to convince my wife to look at a touring model, and the only reason she agreed is because from the rear headrests forward it looks and feels like a normal 528i. The Volvo might be tot much 'station wagon' for her to consider, although I sure would drive a V70R!
bigkensteele
Dion, is the car she found kind of a lilac color with a white interior? If so, that car has been for sale for a looonnnnnggg time, like two years. I was looking a while back and found the one I am referring to down in Louisville. It looked like a great buy, but I couldn't get past the color (or how it appeared in the pics). If it is the same one, you gotta wonder what the car fax is going to say.

I was also concerned about the V8. I have heard that some of them can be problematic. I think that it depends on the year.

Good luck and glad your wife is OK!
dion9146
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Sep 20 2011, 08:12 PM) *

Dion, is the car she found kind of a lilac color with a white interior? If so, that car has been for sale for a looonnnnnggg time, like two years. I was looking a while back and found the one I am referring to down in Louisville. It looked like a great buy, but I couldn't get past the color (or how it appeared in the pics). If it is the same one, you gotta wonder what the car fax is going to say.

I was also concerned about the V8. I have heard that some of them can be problematic. I think that it depends on the year.

Good luck and glad your wife is OK!

Nope, it's a champaign color with tan leather. The car was a one owner car. Bought new in TN where it spent it's entire life, then my friend bought it earlier this Summer. I've seen the carfax, and it has a complete service history with zero issues.

I also thought the 528i is a 6 cylinder.

Thanks for the well wishes.

http://modules06.dealercarsearch.com/userc...aspx?id=1212024
bigkensteele
Oh, I thought I saw 530, which is the 8. The 528 is the six, which should be as reliable as sunrise.

I had an '87 325is, and it was arguably one of the best cars I have ever owned. Took it to 235k and only sold it because we had another kid on the way, and I really needed 4 doors.
jmill
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Sep 20 2011, 09:10 PM) *

Oh, I thought I saw 530, which is the 8. The 528 is the six, which should be as reliable as sunrise.

530 is still a six with more hp than the 525. The 550 is the 8.
dion9146
QUOTE(jmill @ Sep 20 2011, 10:39 PM) *

540 is an 8 too. He has a nice black on tan one, but it's a manual tranny and the wife wants a lazy shifter.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(dion9146 @ Sep 20 2011, 09:44 PM) *

QUOTE(jmill @ Sep 20 2011, 10:39 PM) *

540 is an 8 too. He has a nice black on tan one, but it's a manual tranny and the wife wants a lazy shifter.

The manual trans car is a Touring? WTF.gif Cool! The 550 should be a V12 I'm thinking about gettin a 750IL. drooley.gif
dion9146
No sorry, I was referring to the 540. It is a manual transmission.
dion9146
Just heard back from Alstate. The pilot is officially totaled.

Car shopping starts in Ernest now. smile.gif
BajaXJ92
QUOTE(dion9146 @ Sep 21 2011, 07:07 AM) *

No sorry, I was referring to the 540. It is a manual transmission.

If you found a 540 Touring with a manual trans, I'd be interested! drooley.gif

Link?
dion9146
We are getting lost in translation here.....

I'm looking at a 528i Touring. Pics in the link above.

The car lot has a number of other BMWs including a nice 540i sedan. It is not a touring model, but it is a 6 speed.
http://modules06.dealercarsearch.com/userc...aspx?id=1023281
rick 918-S
QUOTE(dion9146 @ Sep 21 2011, 06:14 AM) *

We are getting lost in translation here.....

I'm looking at a 528i Touring. Pics in the link above.

The car lot has a number of other BMWs including a nice 540i sedan. It is not a touring model, but it is a 6 speed.
http://modules06.dealercarsearch.com/userc...aspx?id=1023281

That's an "M" It has the sport seats. I would really like to try the feel of those seats and compare them to mine. I have a friend in Cleveland that has a 2000 528I T with the sport seats. That could make a difference in the long distance drivine I do. It's nothing for me to put on 300+ miles in a day.
dion9146
It's not an M, just a 540 with sport seats and M trim. I've had an M5, and that's no M sir..... smile.gif
Eric_Shea
Wife's car is an E500 Wagon.

Rick's car is very nice. I can attest to that! biggrin.gif Rick, I think the back of the leg thing is your sciatic nerve... you're just getting old. biggrin.gif

IPB Image

Wagon's rule!
dion9146
That e500 is a pretty car! I'll bet that thing is a tank.
dion9146
Went and test drove the BMW and a 2004 e320 wagon. Honestly, didn't like either. Then my wife fell in love with a bright red 2006 c230 Sport. She drove it and loves it, so now not only are we downsizing, we may be really downsizing!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.