Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mysterious oil leak revisited
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ctrout
A few days ago, there was a post about a mysterious oil leak. The question was asked if the motor needed to come out to repair a leaky oil pressure sender or oil cooler. I have the same question as I have a pretty unhealthy leak coming from directly above the oil filter. Something above the filter leaks onto the filter, runs down it, and drips from the bottom, forming a puddle directly beneath it. I haven't tried to nail down the source yet so I could get lucky and find that it's just the filter. If it's the cooler or sender though, I'd like to have an idea of the work involved. 1974 1.8 L-jet.
rhodyguy
pulling the sender is pretty easy. clean the area where it screws in, put the sender back in, leave the rubber boot out and start it to see if it's leaking. my 75' did the same thing, bad cooler seals. is the top of the filter one big puddle? there is a tech article at the bird re changing the seals with the engine in, i opted for the engine removal. you pretty much have to tear the front of the engine apart.

kevin
Allan
ar15.gif Dude that was unfortunately my post, and now I am thinking that it is coming from the tranny. I'm just trying to figure out how it is making so much smoke through the top motor lid and coming up through the inside and fogging up the windows. I have run the dye for the last 5 days and nada.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.