Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Plan on selling my '73. Opinions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dltalfa
I plan on selling my 1973 1.7L. I have done a lot to it and I'm hoping to get around $6.500.00 for it +/-. Am I being realistic?

It runs and drives great. and it's 100% rust free.

So far, I have rebuilt the pedal assembly;
New Good Year tires;
New outer door handles;
New gear shift knob;
Refinished the vinyl side sail panels;
Replaced the bumper rubber top pads;
New window scrapper rubbers;
New trunk molding, front & rear;
New rear GT spoiler;
Older repaint but stil looks VERY nice.
From 10 feet away, it looks absolutly new.
Nice black interior with new seat covers.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Honest opinions please!!!

Dr Evil
No idea. Region causes serious price fluctuations.

I would buy it at $6.5K if I had the $$ and it is truly rust free smile.gif

popcorn[1].gif
dltalfa
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 20 2011, 10:27 PM) *

No idea. Region causes serious price fluctuations.

I would buy it at $6.5K if I had the $$ and it is truly rust free smile.gif

popcorn[1].gif

It is an actual RUST FREE car. It has been in Alabama since new and has no rust issues,..not even the battery box. It has normal surface rust on the undercarriage,..but no rot or damage,..no rust through or scaling.
hot_shoe914
It has normal surface rust

How is that 100% rust free? confused24.gif
76-914
So if someone ask if it has any rust you say "Yes, I just haven't been able to find it, yet!" shades.gif BTW, nice car.
bigkensteele
From the pics and your description, I think that it would be worth north of 6.5k, but you haven't posted pics of the hell-hole, door bottoms, rear trunk floor, trunk weather stripping channels, etc. These cars rust in a lot of places that most casual observers would not think to inspect. Check the above spots, post pics, and if it is what you and I hope it is, you will get better than 6.5.
dltalfa
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Sep 20 2011, 10:40 PM) *

It has normal surface rust

How is that 100% rust free? confused24.gif

It is still rust free because EVERY car has surface rust on the udercarriage unless it has just undergone a full restoration and has never been driven.

Even a newer, (say 2008 to 2010), model car will have surface rust on the undercarriage if it is driven daily.

For example, if you park your car outside, undriven,.. your brake rotors will have surface rust on them after a couple of rains.

The tie rod ends, exhaust, steering nuckles etc will all have light surface rust on them.
dltalfa
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Sep 20 2011, 11:41 PM) *

From the pics and your description, I think that it would be worth north of 6.5k, but you haven't posted pics of the hell-hole, door bottoms, rear trunk floor, trunk weather stripping channels, etc. These cars rust in a lot of places that most casual observers would not think to inspect. Check the above spots, post pics, and if it is what you and I hope it is, you will get better than 6.5.

I will provide pictures to verify, but as I mentioned, I recently repalced all the trunk molding. I removed the old and replaced it all,...and there was NO rust in the channels.

The bottoms of the doors, trunk floors, floor board and hell hole are all rust and bondo free.

It is a local southern car and has spent most of it's life in a garage when not being driven.

I'll get some pictures and upload them.
ezbngreen914
Part of me wants to buy this car to "dollar cost average" the 73 1.7 I bought a year ago. If this car is what you say it is and is not sold within the week I will be a little disheartened... but nothing a spin in the 914 won't fix. biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(dltalfa @ Sep 20 2011, 08:23 PM) *

Your front turn signal lenses are upside down!

popcorn[1].gif
dltalfa
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 21 2011, 03:17 AM) *

QUOTE(dltalfa @ Sep 20 2011, 08:23 PM) *

Your front turn signal lenses are upside down!

popcorn[1].gif

Are you talking about the side marker lights?

If so, do you mean the angle is slanted in the wrong direction?
BajaXJ92
QUOTE(dltalfa @ Sep 21 2011, 06:31 AM) *

No, he's talking about the turn signals right next to your headlights. They need to be unscrewed and flipped so the top is pointing down.

Very nice looking car you've got there.

Wouldn't mind seeing more pics of that MG in the background too!
gasman
I would put it on e-bay.......There is an interest for our cars in Europe. Put a reserve on it north of $6,500.00 You probably will get it..... Just sold mine two weeks ago and it's going back to Germany. There wasn't any hassel with the shipping as the buyer arranged it all.
Cairo94507
Sure seems to be a nice car; accepting your word re condition, I would think you are priced fairly. Good luck....and oh... post some more pictures please.
nsr-jamie
Looks good, 100 % rust free I would be more careful about that....are those Porsche letterings on the side designed for a 914? I really like your wheels
Ferg
Sent you a pm, I'm interested, been to long since I have had a 914...

Ferg
dltalfa
QUOTE(Ferg @ Sep 21 2011, 10:27 AM) *

Sent you a pm, I'm interested, been to long since I have had a 914...

Ferg

PM sent back
dltalfa
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Sep 21 2011, 09:40 AM) *

Looks good, 100 % rust free I would be more careful about that....are those Porsche letterings on the side designed for a 914? I really like your wheels

That is the negative PORSCHE decal that was a dealer add-on option when our cars were new. You can get them through all the major vendors right now. Fairly easy to install and they look nice.

You can go with the "positive" or "negative" style lettering.

The wheels are the stock, (optional), Mahel wheels.
Gudhjem
Looks like a good price to me, assuming the rust is even close to what you think it is. If it were nearby, I'd go take a look.

Nice car though. I've never liked the spoilers, but it looks good on your car.
SirAndy
QUOTE(BajaXJ92 @ Sep 21 2011, 03:47 AM) *
No, he's talking about the turn signals right next to your headlights. They need to be unscrewed and flipped so the top is pointing down.

agree.gif
thelogo
I bought a

73 1.7 in california , very nice , very similar to yours .

for 5k cash . 1.5 years ago .

market what it is I'm guessing you'll get less money today than

then .

but My car came with rivs not factory pedrins so factor that in too .

just my experiences , hope this help .

and I think it's the buest 5k I ever spent sunglasses.gif
thelogo
QUOTE(Gudhjem @ Sep 21 2011, 09:18 AM) *

Looks like a good price to me, assuming the rust is even close to what you think it is. If it were nearby, I'd go take a look.

Nice car though. I've never liked the spoilers, but it looks good on your car.

i'm with this guy , it does look good on yours but , I think the black looks better then body color

those spoilers are the dumbest things i ever saw because they ruin a completely

clean line of the car .
TheCabinetmaker
Those are Mahle wheels, not Pedrini.
Madswede
FWIW, that price ($6,500) is in-line with what I paid for my '73, a CA born 'n raised car with extremely minor rust just like you say this one has, and very similar well-keeping as yours. So I think it's a very fair asking price, given the caveat about rust in hard-to-see places.

Also, mine had a 2.0 bus motor running on 3-cyl most of the time, so factor that in your equation. I think it's much more about rust than anything else when it comes to selling price/purchasing decisions for 914s.

EDIT: "extremely minor rust" means, in this context, surface rust only with no ... read that as "none at all" ... rust that would damage the structural integrity of anything. A very nice find, Joe O'Brien tells me. Just had to upgrade the hell hole repair and clean surface rust off the undercarriage after soda-blasting stripped the paint. shades.gif
dltalfa
QUOTE(BajaXJ92 @ Sep 21 2011, 05:47 AM) *

QUOTE(dltalfa @ Sep 21 2011, 06:31 AM) *

Wouldn't mind seeing more pics of that MG in the background too!

OK,..here's a couple of pictures of the MGB in the back ground.

IPB Image
IPB Image
swl
Certainly hope you get asking on that car. Accepting that it is in the condition described I think that's a reasonable price. Tough time to be selling hobby cars though.
Ian Stott
I think that is a very reasonable price, I think your car looks to be in very good shape. These club members are very knowledgeable about our cars, so any flaws will be noticed, this is a good thing, it is why a lot of us are here, the knowledge is unbelieveable and generously shared. Checking the prices of "lesser" cars from the same era will remind you what a bargain a 914 is, don't sell it for a song.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.