Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Proper timing at idle for a 009
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
I am running a 009 because my 050 isn't throwing spark for some reason.

Anyway, I read the other day that timing at idle should be like 12 degrees. Is this correct? I think I am at 7 degrees and while it runs, it's not running well.

I know that many of you dislike the 009, but it's what I have for now. I will give it the float test sometime in the future, I promise.

TIA
McMark
Correct timing at idle or correct timing at full advance, which do you want, cause you can't have both. wink.gif

Unless you open it up and change the limit inside. It's not hard, but a little tedious.
KaptKaos
Mark,

At Idle please.

Thanks
jcd914
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Sep 21 2011, 07:37 PM) *

Mark,

At Idle please.

Thanks

The point is that there is no correct timing at idle because the 009 distributor is such crap that they all have different ranges of advance. You need to set timing at total advance and live with what ever your 009 has at idle.
Mark has previously reported total advance in 009's from 15 degrees to 25 degrees. If you don't know how much advance yours has, settitng timing at idle is just a guess at what the timing will be in RPM ranges that count.

Jim
KaptKaos
Guess I should figure out what's wrong with the 050 then.....
Series9
Mark's right. I set 009s at full advance. It's an "on or off" arrangement.

009s are good for race cars, but for in-town driving, they create bog off idle. Add Webers to the mix and you've got a bog-off-idle recipe for bog perfection. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.