Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Outdoor storage in the Mid-Atlantic
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zymurgist
Hey all,

It looks like I'll be forced to adopt Babydoll before I have room in my dry garage for her. (Haven't sold the 911 yet.) Absent any other storage options, it looks like she'll have to spend the winter outside under a cover. Any advice on what kind of cover to buy, outdoor storage tips, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
mepstein
Lower the price of the 911 until it sells.

Edit- If you want to pay the cost of me trailering my 914 roller down to Scotty B's, you can have a space in my detached 2 car garage. smile.gif
flipb
Mine lives in a covered (but open-sided) carport, and I use a Coverking Stormproof cover - they make them custom-fit for 914.

I'm not 100% convinced of its efficacy - I've pulled it off and found that the front trunklid is wet after major, blowing rainstorms. But maybe a cover like this plus a pop-up tarp/tent over the car?

Bummed that Caroline is giving it up, but excited for you. Enjoy it.

If all else fails, I'll take either Babydoll or the 911 off your hands and store them free of charge (umm... outdoors) at my place. smile.gif

Oh, and FWIW, I found the cheapest place to buy the Coverking cover, at least 2 years ago, was autopartswarehouse.com.
mark21742
Go down the street and sweet talk my parents into letting you store it in their tent til you have space smile.gif
mark21742
Ok seriously, my mom just called to BS and she said for like $20 a month she will clean out a spot for you in that big grey tent behind the garage if you want....just let me know if your interested
zymurgist
Winner winner chicken dinner! That sounds like a plan.
type47
You should take it to scottyb before you take ownership of it. He's already practicing on jimkelly's car.....
warrenoliver
Ken,

Why not just put it in one of the 10 X 15 self storage units. smile.gif I do that every year for my 914. Current price around here (YMMV) is $85.00/month with a month to month lease. I figure it is better than storing outside or storing in a large shed with other stuff that might fall on it or encourage rodents to find a home. I would not be comfortable with a cover on the car if there is a chance there would be moisture underneath. I also wouldn't want the wind to be working on that cover against the paint.

Works for me and I have access to it whenever I want.

Good Luck

Warrenoliver

Bartlett 914
I used to have to store mine in a barn over the winter. It stayed dry. You still need to worry about ground moisture. I think parking on plastic may help. The other worry is mice. They kept getting into the glove box and other places. These noise generators do a good job of keeping them out but you will need electricity
mark21742
Tarp on the ground and jack the car up on jackstands or blocks so the tires are off the ground.....even better, take the wheels off and store the wheels and tires in your basement so the tires aren't touching the cement or dirt
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.