Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pedrini wheels in 1970?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
1970 Neun vierzehn
According to Johnson's book, 914, A Restorer's Guide to Authenticity, the Pedrini wheel was an option beginning with the MY1970. I always thought that wheel became available in 1971.

Anyone have firsthand knowledge of a 1970 being originally delivered with that wheel?

Paul
Tom_T
Paul, I have seen some Pedrini backsides bootyshake.gif with a 1970 mfgr. date, but didn't save the pix.

That doesn't mean that they were supplied on a 1970, but then our friendly veterinarian & 356/914 expert Dr. Johnson is wrong on other things 914 in his book - so maybe they were later in the 70 MY? confused24.gif
sixerdon
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Sep 21 2011, 05:16 PM) *

According to Johnson's book, 914, A Restorer's Guide to Authenticity, the Pedrini wheel was an option beginning with the MY1970. I always thought that wheel became available in 1971.

Anyone have firsthand knowledge of a 1970 being originally delivered with that wheel?

Paul

From my experience, I would agree with 1971.
However, other written sources are mixed. Get this;
Excellence Was Expected says 1972.
Pat Paternie's book says 1970.
Brian Long's book says 1971.
Factory brochures don't mention it until MY 1972.
Again, the only way to verify is with an original Bill of Sale specifying it as an optional item.

Tom, don't be too harsh with Dr. Johnson. One only needs to read the Acknowledgments in "Authenticity" to see who "proofed this text for accuracy" in the book.

Don
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Sep 23 2011, 12:46 PM) *

........... to see who "proofed this text for accuracy" in the book.

Don

I realize that every "fact" in that book could not be referenced individually, but re: the Pedrini wheel fitment, just where does information like that arise from?, word-of-mouth?, dealer say-so?, factory data (probably not)?, original sale information to original buyer? confused24.gif

Paul
Pat Garvey
I recall, and I'm going on my rotted out memory here, that these wheels were available on "late" 70 914's, though only in Europe. I've seen several original 71's with these wheels, as well as numerous '72's.

I don't believe that they were available for very early 70's.
Paul, do your wheels have a mfg date? I know your 914 is pretty early.
Pat
sixerdon
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Sep 23 2011, 12:58 PM) *

QUOTE(sixerdon @ Sep 23 2011, 12:46 PM) *

........... to see who "proofed this text for accuracy" in the book.

Don

I realize that every "fact" in that book could not be referenced individually, but re: the Pedrini wheel fitment, just where does information like that arise from?, word-of-mouth?, dealer say-so?, factory data (probably not)?, original sale information to original buyer? confused24.gif

Paul

To answer your question as you put it? I would go to the source of that information......and I don't mean Dr. Johnson, but rather the other Dr. from AA who was the primary consultant. I'm sure he would oblige you with an answer.

Don
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 23 2011, 02:31 PM) *

Pat

Pat, the mfg date is (ahem, cough, cough).....1972. So chair.gif But they are a 914 part rolleyes.gif

Paul
cooltimes
Bruce Anderson says 1971. 7th paragraph in the link.
http://www.excellence-mag.com/resources/bu...guide/856880138

Cool

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Sep 21 2011, 08:16 PM) *

Paul

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Sep 23 2011, 08:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 23 2011, 02:31 PM) *

Pat

Pat, the mfg date is (ahem, cough, cough).....1972. So chair.gif But they are a 914 part rolleyes.gif

Paul

So are rubber bumper F & R tops!

Fix it or accept it!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.