Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A/C Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten
Is it requried to cut into the engine shelf in order to fit an A/C compressor? The PO of my car cut into the shelf, but the A/C wasn't installed when I got the car, so I am curious if it is required to butcher the engine shelf, or if this was just another crapy modification gone wrong.
rhodyguy
that's the way it goes. hopefully they did'nt cut the front trunk with a fire axe. if you have'nt pulled your pass side rocker you may be in for a surprise the too.

kevin
ClayPerrine
Yes, to install the AC the engine shelf under the battery tray was notched. It was/is required for clearance for the compressor.
3d914
thomasotten,

Note that the engine shelf only needs notched. It should not require a big chunk - nothing like the material that has to be removed from the engine tin.

If I recall, I only had to notch just past the lip where the rubber trim is installed. This may have to do more with the type of compressor mounting bracket you use. That alone could be motivation to fab your own bracket.

Good luck,
thomasotten
About how many inches of a notch is it? Could someone post a picture of their notched engine shelf?
Doug Leggins
Here is a pic of my engine shelf that was "notched" for AC.

I've been told that this is representative of the "butchering" that was done on the engine shelf when AC was installed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.