Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why not SCCA GT3???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brett W
Why is no one successfully racing a 2.0 914/6 in SCCA GT3? To me the motor seems to have the potential to really be a class killer if properly developed. The factory made 220hp way back in the 70s with 60s technology in endurance trim. Imagine what could be done now.
Joe Bob
hOW FASSYAWANNA GO? Gots a check book?

30 year old car.....new motor.......banned in one season.....welcome to the SCCA.....ain't gonna happen.
Brett W
What are you talking about?
machina
its wierd, at the same weight (2080) the 911 can run a 2.2 while the 914 is limited to a 2.0 6 at 2080 or a 2.0 4 at 1880.

at this level of prep, its all about $$$ and engineering if you want to run up front nationally. There are some scary fast cars in GT3.

dr
Brett W
I hadn't even looked at the 911, guess SCCA is still pissed at the 914.

Yes GT racing is very competetive. If you want to win you don't just slap a car together and run it. You must examine every aspect and design the car to the maximum. That is part of the the reason I am interested in the class. Yes I had thougt about doing the 4 cylinder but the more reasearch I do with the flow data the stock heads have no chance without me welding the hell out of them. A competitor will spot that a mile away. If I could use other heads then there might be a chance but until then.
Randal
Rich Bontempi's car is a 1.7 or 1.8 and he's made a lot of big time racers cry.

And he was always getting protested(*), cause they couldn't believe his times. A great driver and a great car mean mean fast times and of course Rich was (is) more than pleased to show them how it works.

Rich also had some great times in the recent PCA club events. First time out in years, and for as long as his machine held togeher he was back out there showing most of the other drivers the way around Sears and Laguna.

(*) he never lost a protest
Joe Bob
Ask him how much he has in the motor.....THAT will make YOU cry.

BTW..I believe it's an EP class 1.8 motor.
Randal
THAT will make YOU cry.

I know it would, but how much do you think all those guys running around in Matt Lawrence cars have invested, not just initially, but for yearly rebuilds?

I'll have to ask Rich how much it cost to re-build one of his motors, but I'll bet it isn't the same as a big six.

Unfortunately if you want to play it costs big dollars, and to be honest, no one talks about the real amount of money they have put into their cars.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.