Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: source for high pressure 9mm ID fuel line ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tod914
Anybody have a source for 9mm ID high pressure fuel line? Not interested in the vaccume style cloth covered fuel line. 30R9 or above would be ideal. Seems 3/8ths is the only option in my web searches. Thanks, Tod
AZ914
RacerChris at Tangerineracing.com.

Great guy to deal with and a member vendor here.
Prospectfarms
QUOTE(tod914 @ Sep 22 2011, 10:54 PM) *

Anybody have a source for 9mm ID high pressure fuel line? Not interested in the vaccume style cloth covered fuel line. 30R9 or above would be ideal. Seems 3/8ths is the only option in my web searches. Thanks, Tod

I'm not aware of SAE standards for metric fuel hose. Some companies (Gates) advertise 8mm, but it is really 5/16" (7.9xx mm). Even with carbureted (low pressure) VW's, 3/8" can leak when used for 9mm application, so that leaves you with cloth covered 9mm, or, 5/16" for SAE 30R9, or ordering something from Porsche, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, with an unknown (to me) permeability rating.

5/16" will mate with the fuel rails if you are patient.
nathansnathan
As people are using 5/16" fuel line (7.9mm) for where the factory used 7mm, you should be able to use 3/8" ( 9.525mm) instead of 9mm as the difference is less, even.
tod914
Chris is great guy to deal with. Actually purchased all my adapters from him, to work out a clean fit for the 3 port pump up front. The 5/16ths line works fine. Actually I like it better up there than the 7mm; as per his suggestion. 3/8ths aka 9.5mm, is just abit too loose for my comfort zone on the pressure end. I ended up using an oem step hose for the portion from the pump to feed line under the tank. I'll see what the BMW dealer has today. This E10 gas really sucks! Might do a run out to PA, to get some non tainted gas for winter storage.
ChrisFoley
Tod is working with components supplied by Tangerine Racing.
I did a bit of testing this morning since Tod made me aware of an issue yesterday.
The problem appears to be the adapters we're making.
When we swage them the large end doesn't quite reach the full diameter of a 9.5mm hard line.
From now on we are going to weld the adapters from two pieces of tubing rather than swage the smaller tube at one end.
This means the weld on each adapter will need to be pressure tested. At the moment I don't think the different procedure will affect the price at all, but I'll have to produce a batch to be certain.

Tod,
I'll supply you with new adapters asap.

Anyone else who already has an adapter they are uncomfortable with using, plese contact me and I'll send you a replacement as well.
Prospectfarms
Tangerine Racing is excellent and will steer you in the correct direction.

The problem with 3/8" hose on 9mm fitting, despite the close approximation in size, has more to do with the clamp. Typical OD on 3/8" is around 16.5mm. Try finding a standard FI clamp that accepts 3/8" but has enough range to get it tight over a smooth 9mm fitting. Makes a worm gear clamp tempting, but that defeats the point of the expensive hose.

tod914
Chris thankyou again for such awesome support! Your adapters do work perfectly with the 9mm ID line. Rather snug fit. The local BMW dealer is looking to see if they have any 9mm in stock as I type. I'll post the results for everyone as well.
In conjunction with your adapters, I prefabed some 5/16ths brake line to cut down on the amount of line needed. I'll post some shots to see what you think. Feel free to utilize this set up if you see if of any benifit for the members.
Thanks again, Tod
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Prospectfarms @ Sep 23 2011, 10:37 AM) *

Tangerine Racing is excellent and will steer you in the correct direction.

The problem with 3/8" hose on 9mm fitting, despite the close approximation in size, has more to do with the clamp. Typical OD on 3/8" is around 16.5mm. Try finding a standard FI clamp that accepts 3/8" but has enough range to get it tight over a smooth 9mm fitting. Makes a worm gear clamp tempting, but that defeats the point of the expensive hose.

I actually provide two clamp sizes, 13-15mm and 14-16mm. The smaller one will fit over 9.5mm 30R9 hose and provide a tighter clamping force on a loose fitting connection such as you describe.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.