Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Easy/cheap battery cutoff?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BigDBass

Is there a "go to" solution for a quick battery disconnect?
I've seen some for race cars, but I'm just looking for something in the engine bay in line with battery wiring to make it quick and easy to disconnect the battery when working on the car, flat towing, etc.

Any recommendation for part and source would be appreciated.

Dan
flipb
My car has the cheapie green knob (linked above at HF) courtesy of a PO.

It's pretty convenient - loosen it one turn and it's disconnected. Or, if you're paranoid or parked in a bad neighborhood, spin it loose and slip it into your pocket.

Especially convenient for fuching with wiring... very easy to disconnect the battery, fidget, then reconnect to test your work. Just turning a knob.
BigDBass
Ah, that one from Harbor Freight looks perfect. (Maybe I'll get 2 since one will probably break.)
Thanks!
pcar916
I'd advise against any of the cheap solutions. My car had the "green knob" on it for about 6 months when I bought it. It got increasingly corroded and gave me flakey results for a while until it just broke altogether. Use this one if you want to be kind to your alternator and diodes... not to mention the ECU if your car has one.

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product...ery_Disconnects

flipb
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Sep 23 2011, 03:19 PM) *

I'd advise against any of the cheap solutions. My car had the "green knob" on it for about 6 months when I bought it. It got increasingly corroded and gave me flakey results for a while until it just broke altogether. Use this one if you want to be kind to your alternator and diodes... not to mention the ECU if your car has one.

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product...ery_Disconnects

Hmm, guess it's a YMMV situation. I've had the green knob since I bought the car 2 years ago (and who knows how long it was on before I bought it) with no trouble... no visible corrosion and no electrical issues. (Other than forgetting to re-tighten it after I've left the car parked for a while.) smile.gif
pcar916
QUOTE(flipb @ Sep 23 2011, 02:36 PM) *

(Other than forgetting to re-tighten it after I've left the car parked for a while.) smile.gif

Oh yeah, I did that plenty of times. It falls under the same heading as leaving your steering wheel in the house. But the corrosion wasn't something I could see unless I took the thing apart. It simply got increasingly tough to screw it down hard enough to make good contact.

Sidenote: You can get a battery cutoff from Pegasus, Summit, or any of the other normal racing outlets. But the pricing is nearly always better at Racer Parts Wholesale.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.