Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yeah!! Another newbie is "experienced"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bostonmeche
Hi all!,
Just wanted to say thanks pray.gif for helping me find the courage to tackle car work (with help from my wife of course driving-girl.gif )

We followed the directions from Pelican but I don't know where they get 2 hours. Took us 5 1/2. Though we did run into rusted bolts here and there.

The reason we dropped the engine is to try and determine the cause of an oil leak. If it looks even remotely expensive to fix then we are going to take this opportunity to do a full rustoectomy and 3.2 liter engine conversion. In a way, I'm secretly hoping that the engine leak has terminal causes happy11.gif
bostonmeche
can't forget the wife!
Jeroen
Toolwenches rule!!!

cheers,

Jeroen
Bruce Allert
agree.gif especially in safety glasses beer.gif

...........ain't it fun??? & what an experience to drop an engine! Danm thangs look so big after they're out too smoke.gif

............b
Joe Bob
2 hours is a good time for an experienced wrench.....good on ya for a first time. mueba.gif
bostonmeche
No kidding about being big once they're out. I had thought that once the engine was out I'd just pick it up and chuck it in the basement. The only problem is the basement door is only 26" wide and the engine/tranny is a bit heavier than I thought. Looks like I'm doing some more outdoor disassembly before I bring the stuff inside.

I guess I could always widen the basement door too sawzall-smiley.gif
Trekkor
Good work!

I've pulled many, many engines. Never outta one'a dem 914's, though. cool_shades.gif

You're one up on a lot of us smilie_pokal.gif clap56.gif
seanery
Good Job! You're a lucky man to have a toolwench to help!
Allan
Outstanding! Must feel great! mueba.gif
SLITS
She looks extremely happy rolleyes.gif rocking nana.gif

Good job - the second and the third and the fourth and........... are easier lol2.gif

With an overhead lift - 40 minutes is my fastest, but no rusty bolts.
Eric_Shea
The 26" basement door is terminal... you'll need a 32" biggrin.gif
dinomium
Aw, that is TRUE LOVE!! wub.gif

I can barley get my wife to bring me a "drink"...
I dropped one engine out with Shane this past weekend. I am going two swap it with my 72 tonite, I am going to put the stop watch on it!!
Great job!!
bostonmeche
Eric, I hear ya. I had half a mind to cut a 6ft opening in the foundation and put a proper ramp in. But then my more reasonable side kicked me, I mean kicked in. It was decided that it is best to buy another house with a nice garage and basement access, rather than try to expand our house rennovation plans to include a garage and extensive foundation work. Especially since we are almost finished renovating our current residence. We just finished putting in over 1800 ft of molding in. The only projects left on it are a deck and landscaping mueba.gif This after a new roof, new windows, new floors, new electrical, new plumbing, new bathrooms, new kitchen I guess new everything except foundation and framing.

Slits,
I gotta admit, working on the car isn't her favorite past-time. But in her defense she was/is on some serious painkillers and muscle relaxants for a pinched nerve. Besides, she knows I like it and she's willing to take part in the festivities when necessary. The only worry comes when its my turn to suck it up and grin biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.