Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bilstein or Koni shocks for my 75 plus tires
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lonewolfe
I want to install new shocks/struts in my 75 914. I'll be using this car for aggressive street driving. I wish to install either Bilstein or Koni shocks and am leaning towards Bilsteins. It appears there are a couple of different front strut mounts offered on the 914. I see ads for Bilsteins made for a bilstein mount and others for a Boge mount. I believe I have Boge front struts in the car now because they are black. Were there really two different strut mount setups on 914's? How can you tell which ones you have? I have not run into mention of different housings when searching for Koni shocks but do run into the mention of different housings when searching for Bilsteins. I am totally new to 914's having my car for only 2 weeks now. I also want to change out the rear springs. What would you suggest for springs? As for tires, I am buying those too. I was thinking 205/50 15's or perhaps 205/55 15's. Any suggestions for good street tires for my car? As for ride height I'm shooting to lower the car close to the Euro spec.

I've not had much luck using the search function on this site. For whatever I search for I end up getting tons of threads that have absolutely nothing to do with what I'm searching for which is pretty aggravating.

I look forward to seeing what you experienced 914 folks have to suggest.

wingnut86
Welcome to Shangrilah (sp?).
welcome.png

Any pics of your ride?

Color has nothing to do with vendor unfortunately, as many POs have repainted the struts. You'll need to remove one of your front wheels and get a good light/digital camera behind the front rotor for some closeups. If you have access to a lift, this job is much easier. The cleaner the struts, the better.

Get to know your car from every angle as that's a minimum request so we can help. Review as many of the top threads on this site as possible. We have awesome owner/operators/vendors as members and Admins that will help you increase your knowledge.

You are at THE premier 914 resource site on the web.

Enjoy the free knowledge available no where else.

I'm Wingnut86, and I'm an 914-OCD-aholic...

jcd914
There were 2 different strut types installed in 914/4, Boge and Bilstein. Very few cars came with Bilstein strut so you likely have Boge struts but you need to look to be sure. Yes Boge originally were black and Bilstein were green (or maybe yellow) but as pointed out the struts may have been painted. Only Bilstein inserts will fit a Bilstein strut, the inserts are held in by a roll pin driven thru the base of the strut (by the ball joint) and they have a large diameter shaft (30-40mm maybe) that slides in and out of the strut. There is no threaded gland nut on top of a Bilstein strut. Several shock manufactures make inserts that fit the Boge strut including Bistein. The Bistein that fits a Boge strut is different that the Bistein that fits a Bilstein strut. No one except Bistein make an insert that fits a Bilstein strut (as far as I know).
So pull a wheel and look for the manufacture name stamped in the strut housing or take the strut nut off in by the fuel tank and lower that strut enough to see under the dust cover and let us know what you find.
Threaded gland nut with 20mm shock shaft, you have a Boge strut.
30-40mm shock shaft and no gland nut you have a Bilstein strut.
Picture will help us, we love pictures.
Jim
markb
welcome.png

Lots of good info here. Using " and + in searches helps.

Tell us about the car, and

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.