Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Type IV Head Gaskets.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Series9
I guess the venerable Type IV engine no longer has head gaskets (according to some).

Can any of you old-schoolers identify the gasket-in-question in this picture?
'73-914kid
The smaller diameter rings are indeed the "Head sealing rings" and the larger diameter rings are cylinder base shims IIRC.

Krieger
Bus/1.8?
Series9
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Sep 23 2011, 10:21 PM) *

The smaller diameter rings are indeed the "Head sealing rings" and the larger diameter rings are cylinder base shims IIRC.

So you're going with the semantic difference between "head sealing ring" and "head gasket"?

Is that correct?
Series9
To be perfectly clear:

'73-914kid
They can be called whatever you want. The guy who sold me my gasket set listed it as a "Head sealing ring" that I was told to leave out, and lap the cylinder to the head instead.

Yes, the arrow is pointing towards a head gasket.
SirAndy
If i'm not mistaken, there was a VW bulletin going out to all mechanics back in the day to leave them out when rebuilding T4 engines.

idea.gif
Series9
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 23 2011, 10:42 PM) *

If i'm not mistaken, there was a VW bulletin going out to all mechanics back in the day to leave them out when rebuilding T4 engines.

idea.gif

I'm simply attempting to make the point that Type IV engines came with "head gaskets".

That's all.
Dr Evil
To leave out those things that do not exist wink.gif poke.gif
rick 918-S
Ya, They came with them and so did the engine rebuild kit I purchased. But I followed the lead of others here and did not use them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.