Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.7 camshaft, wear marks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
larss
Took the cam sout of my spare engine and found this type of groove at top of both of the two middle lobes (not at the outer ones).The engine has some 150.000 km on it. The lifters looks wery fine.

Is this from wear or what ?
Should I dump this cam?

/Lars S

IPB Image
Valy
QUOTE(larss @ Sep 24 2011, 09:49 AM) *

Took the cam sout of my spare engine and found this type of groove at top of both of the two middle lobes (not at the outer ones).The engine has some 150.000 km on it. The lifters looks wery fine.

Is this from wear or what ?
Should I dump this cam?

/Lars S

IPB Image

That is excessive wear. See that recession in the middle of the lobe? The pressures on the lob concentrate in a point just below the lobe surface. That effect causes the lobe surface to collapse without any external signs of wear.
Newer cams have a black coating that helps lubrication.

I'm sure the lifters are done as well. Take 2 lifters, clean them and put them face to face and look against a light source. Their surface is round so they should touch like this )( and you should be able to see light between them. If they are worn out the surfaces will be || or worst () so you will see full contact between the surfaces.
larss
QUOTE(Valy @ Sep 24 2011, 09:26 PM) *

[Their surface is round so they should touch like this )( and you should be able to see light between them. If they are worn out the surfaces will be || or worst () so you will see full contact between the surfaces.

Thanks!

The surfaces on the intake lifters are like () so those are bad to.

What is the most likely reason for this wear, bad oil, high milage or...?
Why did it happen only at the intake lobes/lifters and not at all at the exhaust ones?

/Lars S
larss

What is the most likely reason for this wear, bad oil, high milage or...?
Why did it happen only at the intake lobes/lifters and not at all at the exhaust ones?

and also:

Is this a common and typical Type4 issue...?

/Lars S
Dave_Darling
Tom Wilson's book tells us that this is the typical wear pattern. Not sure why it would only happen on the intakes.

--DD
914werke
agree.gif hi-mileage. actually pretty typical wear.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.