Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT what new car to buy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Ricard
If you set your limit at 30K what car would you buy. Wife still wants a Mini Cooper S with Jon Cooper works package.

What other alternatives are out there. really want to stay new or nearly new 2003 - 2005.
Joe Bob
Honda S2000? 32K start
Nissan 350Z? 26-34 depending on trim....
Audi TT? 33K

Notice I did not include the Boxster or the Miata....girlieman cars
JmuRiz
The above stated cars and I'd add a WRX and Evo 8 to your list. They're cool cars as long as you take the wing off of them. I like the G35 Coupe too, that might creap over $30k with the good options. I do like the JCWMini though, looks like a blast.
Ferg
Rx8, slightly used (by an adult) WRX STI, Cobra Mustang, mazdaspeed miata,
If it were me, I would buy a svt focus, and have 10k + left over for another 914
biggrin.gif
Ferg
TROJANMAN
mercedes c230 sport coupe. i bought my '03 for almost a 1/3 off of the original sticker price with 5k miles on it. they are giving these away. it doesn't have a traditional mercedes interior, but it does get 34 mpg on the highway.

here's one on ebay

the sunroff is awesome
Joe Ricard
Hey everybody did you here that. They are giving away Mercedes.

sort of like the Porsche 928. one hell of a car just nobody liked them for some stupid reason. (not a 911) Took me 13 years to get rid of mine.

Maybe a R32 VW, but that is some sucky gas milage. I could buy a Mustang for that and be like everyone else barf.gif

EVO 8 ????
iamchappy
Buy the wife what she wants, if shes happy your going to be happy. My wife wants to trade her lexus ls 400 in on a mini, give the girls what they want.
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Jul 19 2004, 09:17 AM)
Buy the wife what she wants, if shes happy your going to be happy. My wife wants to trade her lexus ls 400 in on a mini, give the girls what they want.

spoken like a true husband who wants to drive his wife's mini...... biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
Yup, buy what ever it takes to shut her up.

EVO 8 and WRX barf.gif Butt ugly car, even if they go like stink.

Oh I want to thank Rob Watson for starting this bug anyway. ar15.gif He brought his 2.0L motor to the house in in his PT cruiser. This was like kicking the preverbial snow ball down hill.

Then she sees that the Mini is cool and not many around. Then she sees the the JCW option has the same performance as her 928 did. headbang.gif
mightyohm
What do you need from the car?

Practical, fast, ??

How many passengers? Is reliability a concern? Are high insurance costs an issue?

I looked around for about 8 months for a relatively new car that was cheap, fast, and could carry stuff but was not an SUV. I didn't want a pickup either. I ended up deciding on a 2004 WRX Wagon. It was about $23k out the door with all the discounts and rebates and stuff they have now for the 04 models. It's true they are aggressive looking cars but the Wagon is a lot nicer looking than the sedan IMHO.

Other alternatives in the same price range that I seriously considered were a used 99 BMW 328i, a 97-98 M3, or a 99+ Audi A4 Avant. I looked at the larger Subaru wagons too. The 2005 Legacy GT is nice (250hp) but I didn't want to spend the money.
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Jul 19 2004, 11:17 AM)

I agree with iamchappy.

Forget all the other sensible or practical reasons. It's her choice. Even if it's a bad choice (which it's not), it will be her remorse not yours. BTDT laugh.gif

My wife now wants a 550 Beck Spyder. Someday I hope she gets one. beerchug.gif
seanery
Dodge Magnum Hemi
Cap'n Krusty
$30K? Without hesitation, the new VW Golf R32. The 928 of hatchbacks ...................... Fast, handles, AND it won't beat you to death after a day of driving. Next choice, for me anyway, an A4 quattro avant, but it's somewhat over the budget ......... The Cap'n
redshift
Your wife needs a 2.8 RSR motor for your teener, if she loves you... even a little bit.

smile.gif

M
airsix
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 19 2004, 11:41 AM)
$30K? Without hesitation, the new VW Golf R32. The 928 of hatchbacks ...................... Fast, handles, AND it won't beat you to death after a day of driving. Next choice, for me anyway, an A4 quattro avant, but it's somewhat over the budget ......... The Cap'n

He he... I should have guessed the A4 Avant. Cap'n has a penchant for Audis and cars with "avant" in the title. biggrin.gif A4 Avant was a sure thing. wink.gif

I like the Cap'n's suggestions, and I'll add another one, but it's more complicated and requires more patience. Drive whatever your already driving for the next 18 months all the while making monthy payments to YOURSELF. At the end of the 18 months you'll have enough in your budget for an Elise with sport package.

-Ben M.
vortrex
there is a dealer in south florida selling NEW R32's for $26,995, a crazy deal. I would be all over that if I didn't have a '03 GTi VR6 I'd be losing so much on.
75boxster
Along the lines of the Mini I would choose

R32 Golf

Another car not out yet, next year I think would be that
new Mazda 6 with the 275hp turbo motor with AWD.

I like the looks of the regular 6 and this new one really
looks good to me. Also I am guessing it will be more like
the R32. A much softer car you can live with on a daily
basis compared to the Mitsu or Subaru.
Joe Ricard
I'll bet 35 years ago people were making the very same decisions about 911 or914-6. Hmm Go fast or go faster. Good thing they didn't buy a 70 chevy COPO wouldn't that have been a bad investment.
Joe Ricard
the verdict is out. Showed wife pics of R32. It has been deemed UGLY faster than the car can do 0-60. Actually it took about .5 seconds. Next comment was "don't care how fast it is, it's still ugly". grouphug.gif
Joe Ricard
done deal ! Just won the Blue Cooper S JCW on EVIL bay.

That ought to do it.
redshift
Some of those parts go right on a teener too!~

Nice job!

M
soloracer
Let me get this straight.....this is ugly.....
soloracer
...and this is not?
PatW
No, this is ugly. I love it anyway. Best bang for the buck I would think..

Pat
vortrex
yeah this black R32 is so ugly, would never want it!
soloracer
No offense but I'm thinking of sending the nude shots from my avatar to Playgirl. I think I might have a shot of making the cover!!! happy11.gif
boxstr
After the Goodguys show in Puyallup this weekend. This is my wifes new dream car, sorry a little more than $30k.
CCLINGOODGUYDMEMBER
Joe Bob
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Jul 19 2004, 08:44 AM)
If you set your limit at 30K what car would you buy. Wife still wants a Mini Cooper S with Jon Cooper works package.

What other alternatives are out there. really want to stay new or nearly new 2003 - 2005.

My project rebuild on the house is near finished.....so the '00 Dodge Dakota that I bought for the job is up for sale.....just a little under 400hp with the Vortech Blower and 5.9 Liter engine (360).

Lot's of room, 32,000 original miles, new snugtop cab high camper, four doors seats five comfortably, cruise control, electric everything. $18,000.00

Rocketship, baby "vette killer.....with room for the dogs in the back.
mightyohm
Should have gotten one of these...
Joe Ricard
It's all in the eye of the beholder. The real question is what will it look like in 35 years. Should be paid off by then. If'n the Cooper is anywhere near my 70 914 1.7L then I think we got a winner.

The sticker shock is starting to set in, slap.gif need more of these beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif
boxstr
Gregor is correct the Mercedes are at a very good buying price point. My wife got the one with the really BIG sunroof.
CCLINAMGCLK
Joe Bob
So....what does the Reverend Tightass say when he hears that yer wife drives around town topless? mueba.gif
boxstr
To the Reverend. :finger2: pissoff.gif bootyshake.gif bs.gif New topless shop truck.
CCLINHOTRODSFROMHELL happy11.gif
boxstr
Leather interior.
boxstr
Rod built in the 60s and 70s. Very much a period ride.
boxstr
Hot Rod Heaven
seanery
29 roadster truck? still got the other one?
boxstr
Actually it is an original 31 Ford roadster pickup. Still have the 29.
CCLINRODHEAD
campbellcj
The Audi A4 1.8T's are very nice cars and you could potentially get a "leftover" new or low-mile lease return with a bit of hunting. I would lean towards the Quattro as the FWD Tip's are a bit underwhelming. For that matter you could probably find a low-mileage previous generation S4 in the same ballpark.

For me the Audi's are a nice "sweet spot" between the Mexican-built VW's and the overpriced and understyled (IMO) small Bimmers. Audi has some of the best interior designs and materials in the industry, and in 45K (fairly hard) miles my car is still tight and rattle-free. I have always been bored with Benz's styling and dynamics, although an E55 or S55 would be a different ballgame (@ 2-3X the price).
JmuRiz
I dont' know how I forgot to mention the A4...I got one brand new for a few hundred over $30k in late 99 (at the end of the model year). Loaded with all the goodies and the v6. You should have no problem wheeling and dealing on a 1.8T A4 at the end of the year (november and later, if you can wait that long).
rhodyguy
craig, you sand bagged us a bit by not pointing out the new purchase. the magnums are pretty massive, and seem bulky up close and personal. impo d/c blew it, but what do i know? i like both the versions of the scion. i'm saving my nickles for the new "shop" with 10' ceilings to replace the carport.

kevin
boxstr
Kevin Hello I did'nt have all the details until later in the day. Sorry we didn't get more time together looking at all of the rods and kustoms. Lots to see. I will stay an extra day next year, plus I will drive something up to put in the show.
I looked at teh pics from the dinner Sunday nigth, I noticed that it looked like yopu drove your white truck, the one with the 24's. happy11.gif
CCLINHOTINPD
rhodyguy
do you have to retrieve the new vehicle? the cars were pretty impressive. i kind of shuddered seeing the asking prices for some of the for sale cars. as in the bath that the folks were going to get. it started rainning around 3. the scramble was pretty funny. i need a hair cut and the fish and chip portions were small mad.gif .

kevin
Rusty
QUOTE(boxstr @ Jul 20 2004, 07:50 AM)
Actually it is an original 31 Ford roadster pickup. Still have the 29.
CCLINRODHEAD

That 29 pickup is still original owner, right? w00t.gif
jandro62
The WRX has a lot of bang for the buck in terms of capabilities, performance and functionality. For a little bit more money, a nicely outfitted BMW 3-series can be had. It should also retain its value a little better (as should a Benz).

I love my WRX, but its still based on a cheap platform.

The Audi A4 is a beautiful vehicle, inside and out.

I kind of like the lead sled, chopped look of the new chrysler 300C & Magnum

350Z roadster is a lot fun too! Interior is kinda clunky by my standards though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.