Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: California Smog Question.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ClayPerrine
In California does a car have to pass a visual test for inspection? How do they know what was supposed to be on that car? Do they have a big book or some database that shows the required parts for a particular make and model of car?

Reason I was asking is.... Why can't we take a stock D-Jet system and gut the computer and put the Megasquirt inside? You could run a small piece of tubing down the harness sleeve so it would look stock. Basically just hide the megasquirt components in the D-Jet parts. From the outside it would look stock, but it would be completely programmable and thusly able to pass smog with ease.

What do y'all think? I know it wouldn't be "legal" but woud it work?
Joe Bob
Visual test yes....big book yes........

Hiding the megasquirt in the box.....like they will open it up?

Only the 76 needs CA smog anymore....and the creative 914 owners can get around that....
sj914
From what I've seen on how the test is done, i don't think they would be able to tell the difference if you hide it really well.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mikez @ Jul 19 2004, 09:01 AM)

Only the 76 needs CA smog anymore....and the creative 914 owners can get around that....

Didn't that new amendment pass in California to repeal the 25 year rolling exemption? If so, y'all may need this trick.

Also, with this you can change the cam out and really get some more oomph. Just create a program to pass smog, and upload it beore taking it in to test.
Allan
As it stands right now, the senate has voted to remove the rolling 30 year exemption finger.gif . It still has to go through the appropriations committee and the Governor. I suggest that if you want to keep things like they are you need to start notifying the appropriation committee members and the Governor. As far as the current smog requirements, depending on the year of the car as long as you have the big pieces like the cat, air pump and pulley you should be okay. Oh yeah, anybody know where I can get the air pump pulley for a '76 2.0 that isn't broken?
Joe Bob
Yup....30 year rolling exemption. The law that passed would be 76 and up required to pass smog.

The Governator is expected to veto it and there are not enough votes to overide. Also if there is an amendment added by any of the commitees it would need to go back and get approval on the changes....not a done deal as yet.
Dave_Darling
...And frankly, most smog shops can't tell an MPS from an ECU anyway. As long as there's some kind of obvious fuel injection on it, most places will check off the "OK" box.

A "test-only station" (AKA referee) might check the type of FI, but I really doubt they would check it thoroughly enough to find an MS system hiding in a stock ECU box.

--DD
lapuwali
The database only says "fuel injection". It doesn't specify what kind. I'm not certain even a referee station could or would tell the difference. You'd not even have to go out of your way to hide it. There's no picture, no name, just "fuel injection". Unless the inspector just happens to know a 914 should have D-Jet or L-Jet, you could fit anything that looked like fuel injection and it would pass.
lapuwali
Hey Mike, where'd you hear Ahnold was going to veto? I obviously haven't been following the news closely enough...
Mueller
With the MS, one could even leave an empty case with a partial wiring harness connected to it and have the MS located inside the cabin.

A few people on the MS yahoo site have installed the MS on cars from the 80's and 90's which require a much tougher smog inspection...done correctly, the MS can meet or better the numbers that the smog station is looking for. Of course the car will still have to have the cat. if needed and the motor be in good mechanical condition.

At least here in CA, the only reason I see for someone trying to do a total "stealth" MS install is if that person is competing in an organization and class that does not permit aftermarket FI...and the only benifit of the MS then would be if they are running a much more aggressive cam or engine combo. (i lied, there are other benifits such as the MS being cheaper and having more easily available parts compared to the OEM FI...in some cases that is)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.