Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuel pump not running
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
effutuo101
I am working on the 914 today.
When you turn the key on, I get about 1.5 seconds of fuel pump sound. I can then start the car. IF it stays running, the idle goes very high then cuts out. You can hear the fuel pump start again and the car revs high again.
Today, the car starts, but as soon as it is running, the fuel pump does not stay running and the car shuts off.
Any thoughts?
tod914
You can rule out a bad pump by running wires directly off the battery to it. Disconnect the battery, unplug the pump, then run the + and - wires to the pump and battery, and see if it runs without cutting out.
effutuo101
Yep. Did that. New pump. So that is good.
messix
l or d jet?
tod914
The AAR on D-jet, not sure about L, shares the same fuze on the relay board. You can try disconnecting the AAR and cleaning the contact for the fuze. See if that makes a difference. Usually the fuze blows though. One more thing to rule out.
effutuo101
Hi Troy! It is an early 2.0
messix
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Sep 24 2011, 06:49 PM) *

Hi Troy! It is an early 2.0

fuel harness connections or at the ecm.

sounds like it's starting on cold enrichment and has nothing after that

try dif ecm
70_914
Ignition switch intermittent? Is there power to your fuel pump when the car dies?
swl
Chris do you know that the fuel pump is shutting off electrically? If it runs during the first 1.5 seconds of prime it is not likely that it will shut down once the car is running.

Could it be something as simple as a blocked fuel supply? Have you done any other work on the fuel plumbing that might have wound up changing the direction of fuel flow? What was the source of the new fuel pump. IIRC there is a chinese knock off of the three port out there that has the ports reversed.
effutuo101
Checked the fuel pump and routing. That is all good. I am going to try a new ECM today. I will report back in.
I did find that the car would start and run as long as I was pumping the gas. As soon as the car would die, the fuel pump would run. Almost like there is an ignition issue.
effutuo101
ok, swapped out the ECU and the car runs now. I just have to sort out why the idle is so high and I should be good.
tod914
Double check the wiring on the coil. The car will still run, but over time it will fry the ECU. Glad your up and running again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.