Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heater handle on floor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jgiroux67
Do all 914's have a handle on the floor near the shifter? I have a 73 2.0L and it doesnt have a handle there, but I have seen other cars with it. Is it necessary?
lapuwali
It's necessary if you ever want the heat to come on. That lever controls the "flapper boxes" that direct hot air from the heat exhangers either into the heater tubes in the longs (and into the car), or out onto the ground. No lever, and the flappers are in one position or the other.
jgiroux67
Ah crap! The PO took out pretty much every thing that had to do with heat. Does anyone have pics of everything that is needed to make the heat work again and the instalation and hooking everything up.
lapuwali
Do you still have heat exchangers, or just headers? At a minimum, you need heat exchangers, the pipes from the HE's to the flapper boxes, the flapper boxes, the pipes from the flappers to the firewall, the cables from the lever to the flappers, and the lever. That will get you heat on your feet. There's also a fair amount of stuff under/behind the dash you'd need to ensure the three-lever controls on the dash work, and if you wanted to have defrost capability. If all that's been removed, you've got a lot of parts hunting to do...
ruddyboys
Were suposed to have heat rocking nana.gif
lapuwali
The heat may not be sufficient to cope with a New England winter, but it's adequate for demisting the screen on a cool, humid evening, or keeping your feet warm down to 45dF or so. All too many idiots in warm climates remove the heat thinking they'll never need it, not realizing that the person they sell the car to later may not be quite as willing to do without, and finding all of these parts is often quite difficult.
Bleyseng
If you run the SSI Stainless steel HE's you will have plenty of heat, more than a stock setup. Just post for all the parts you need in the classifieds as I have sold these pieces to other guys without heat before (off parts cars). The other way is to call HPH and ask for Rich B and find out what he would sell everything to you for. 877-914-4you

Geoff
jgiroux67
I do have heat exchangers. I believe that I have the flapper boxes and dont know if i have the blower motor (where is it located?) I know I can get the heater floor lever but how do you hook it up.
Thanks for all the feedback

-Josh
lapuwali
The blower motor is nice, but optional. The engine fan provides some air pressure, you just have to keep the revs up. On the lever and cables, you can see the cable tubes in the firewall, near the shifter. Small tubes, not the big parking brake cable tubes.
ruddyboys
The blower motor is located on top in the center of the engine with two flex hoses going out of each side to the tin in older cars (70-72) Newer models (73-76) have the blower motor mounted on the left hand side. The 73 and 74 only have 1 tube for the driver side while the 75-76 they put in a Y fitting to get heat to both sides. The impeller gives heat only when the RPMs are high, at idle you need the blower to get the air moving.
Dave_Darling
I've got a post (with photos) on the Bird board showing how the parts fit together. Do a search over there on "flapper" and it will probably turn up.

--DD
jgiroux67
Let me get this straight, the only way to get heat to defrost the windows when you first get in th car is if you have the blower?
Could someone post a pic of the blower installed in a 73.
lapuwali
Yes and no. The FRONT blower motor (the one in the fresh air box near the fuel tank), at least on the early cars, will provide some hot air along with the cold "fresh" air, and this will work at demisting. The REAR blower motor (one in the engine bay) will push a lot more hot air through when the revs are low. My rear blower motor has never worked (as is no longer in the car, making engine access easier), and I get plenty of heat w/o it. The front blower (which works) does the job for me. The later cars (I have a '71) may have a different arrangement.
rhodyguy
there is a wire that connects to heater lever base that provides the ground for the engine compartment fan when the lever is pulled all the way up.

kevin
rhodyguy
oh, here's the fan. hoses off for the summer. some have one hoses going to the black round cap(covering j-tube) some cars have a splitter coming off the fan with a hose going to both j-tubes.
jgiroux67
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 20 2004, 10:12 AM)
there is a wire that connects to heater lever base that provides the ground for the engine compartment fan when the lever is pulled all the way up.

Is this a cable or an electric wire?
Dave_Darling
There's one of each, actually... There's a pull-cable that opens both the "flapper valves" up, which actually goes through the bottom of the lever. There is also a separate electrical contact that grounds the wire going to it. That grounds the heater blower relay, which switches it on, sending power to the heater blower fan.

When you pull up on the lever, you open the flaps up. When you pull it further, you switch on the blower.

--DD
jgiroux67
Oh I see now. So how do you run the cable and wire then. Anybody have pictures of the whole flapper set up?

Oh yeah, I couldnt find that thread on pelican parts that you were talking about, but I found many other usefull heater threads.
rhodyguy
the flapper wire runs through a hole in the bottom of the lever into 2 tubes that should be visible on the back side of the lower firewall (engine side). it's quite a long wire as it runs to both sides from the lever. it's a stiff wire, not electrical. pull the center cushion and the access plate you should see the tubes. in my picture the connector with a green and brown wires is what you plug the fan into. when you have the cushion out look around in the center tunnel for the green wire.

kevin
rhodyguy
this should give you some idea. the gray piece attaches to the fan housing.
jandro62
I live as far south as Houston, TX and wish I had the heater for those winter (nov/dec/jan) drives. PO removed the flapper boxes, HE's, everything.
JohnB
Reviving old thread on this topic.

I'm looking at a '75 car, restored but the control cable from the floor lever to the valves on the HE's is missing. Is this cable available or would any kind of cable material work? From what I read in this thread it's not terribly difficult to install.

I tried to find DD's article/thread he mentioned being on the PP BBS but to no avail. Does anyone have the pointer for it?

Thanks!
wilchek
the cable that attached to the handle in the car and then to the flapper boxes I believe is available. I have been told that there are 2 differnent lengths. The cable is like a throttle cable without the plastic other sheath. it is one solid piece and is bent perfectly in the middle So you have to slide one end throught the hole in the handle and then slide the two ends together through the left and right small conduit where the handle bolts to. The conduit exit the bottom of the fire wall (left and right) in the engine bay. Run the ends to the flapper boxes and put in the hole with screw on both sides(see pic 19 on link). Next attach the electrical wire to the male prong on the handle in car and bolt the handle to the center tunnel down with 1 10mm bolt and 1 12mm bolt. The electrical wire runs the fan motor in the engine bay but as people have said it is not needed. I have mine and it seems to blow a lot better with it on. Check out the link below it kind of gives u and Idea of what you have to do, look at step 19 thru 22. Oh ya for the handle/lever use a straight handle for center console and bent handle/shaft for no center console.good luck

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...ter_console.htm
JohnB
Perfect, this is exactly the guidance I was looking for. Thanks!

john
jgiroux67
Wow this is an old thread, ha damn I ask alot of questions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.