Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where can I get something to fill this hole?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
root
Anybody got a plug for this huge hole in my case?
or where to get a new one?
and what size thread is it?
Lost the damn thing somewhere in my garage.confused24.gif
Click to view attachment
mark21742
If your in a hurry, you might try Lowes or Homedepot in the morning......do you have any clue what size and thread pitch you need? I'm almost sure they will have it for you
root
QUOTE(mark21742 @ Sep 24 2011, 07:14 PM) *

If your in a hurry, you might try Lowes or Homedepot in the morning......do you have any clue what size and thread pitch you need? I'm almost sure they will have it for you

It's 20mm dia. or 0.788".
So I could prolly retap it for a 1/2" NPT and get a pipe plug for it.
Just wandering what others normally use.... blink.gif
Valy
That hole is originally plugged with a pressure plug.
Somebody removed the plug, tapped the hole and plugged it with a threaded cap.
You must measure the size and look for a new one. Usually, people use plumbing caps for this.
type47
ignore the green arrows, pic I had of plugs with something in your hole huh.gif
Click to view attachment
root
QUOTE(Valy @ Sep 24 2011, 07:33 PM) *

That hole is originally plugged with a pressure plug.
Somebody removed the plug, tapped the hole and plugged it with a threaded cap.
You must measure the size and look for a new one. Usually, people use plumbing caps for this.

Yep... good call!
I just tried a 1/2" pipe plug and she went right in!
Somebody already tapped it for me.
That one was way to easy. beer.gif
root
QUOTE(type47 @ Sep 24 2011, 07:43 PM) *

JimBo! I already got the other galleys plugged!
I'm still way ahead of you and I bent my crank!

Click to view attachment
nathansnathan
I've tried finding a replacement for that plug when I'd lost 1, cost me about $20 when I finally found it. The thing I got was a drain plug, and I had to break the magnet off of it. It is a metric straight thread, they will not have it at home depot. It's probably best not to remove that one at all, but it is too late for that. beer.gif
Valy
Happy you found the plug size but I think that the one you have now will interfere with the engine mount. The oil port out of the type 1 oil pump might make trouble with the other motor mount.

I'm looking for an oil pump for my motor. Which oil pump you got there? is it steel or aluminum body?
mark21742
Hate to say it, but that almost seemed too easy of a fix......if it was mine I'd have issues for days trying to find something that fit it right lol
root
QUOTE(Valy @ Sep 24 2011, 09:03 PM) *

Happy you found the plug size but I think that the one you have now will interfere with the engine mount. The oil port out of the type 1 oil pump might make trouble with the other motor mount.

I'm looking for an oil pump for my motor. Which oil pump you got there? is it steel or aluminum body?

26mm Type 1 oil pump (plugged) for remote filter (as I'm putting this engine on a bike). The pump is aluminum from Aircooled.net.
Since I know the thread size now I'll order a stainless hex plug
from mcmaster: http://www.mcmaster.com/#stainless-steel-p...nd-pipe/=e7qy6p $2.40. biggrin.gif
nathansnathan
QUOTE(root @ Sep 25 2011, 05:40 AM) *

26mm Type 1 oil pump (plugged) for remote filter (as I'm putting this engine on a bike). The pump is aluminum from Aircooled.net.
from mcmaster: http://www.mcmaster.com/#stainless-steel-p...nd-pipe/=e7qy6p $2.40. biggrin.gif

The difference is that the plug I got actually fit the threads. McMaster doesn't sell very much metric stuff. Also, stainless is not your friend when it comes to stuff like this, expands too much with heat.
Cap'n Krusty
I'd use an aluminum plug. Earl's Supply has 'em.

The Cap'n
nathansnathan
The size is 20mmx1.5 straight thread. I only saw NPT at Earl's.

This looks nice
http://equipmentcity.net/catalog/product_i...roducts_id=3426

They have seals that would work for the head flange.
http://equipmentcity.net/catalog/index.php...e=1&sort=3a

This plug is for the low pressure side so this is probably overkill, but I like overkill, especially since they swage that plug at the factory(?) and taking it out will mess up the threads some. You would have to grind some off that plug as the original is actually very thin and the threads don't go very deep in the case. There's not a lot of metal there for the threads either is why I wouldn't use a tapered npt plug.
JStroud
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 26 2011, 06:43 AM) *

The Cap'n

I thought there was a problem using aluminum plugs, not being able to remove them without destroying the threads. Now I'm confused
mark21742
QUOTE(jsconst @ Sep 26 2011, 10:35 AM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 26 2011, 06:43 AM) *

The Cap'n

I thought there was a problem using aluminum plugs, not being able to remove them without destroying the threads. Now I'm confused

I use a dab or two of liquid thread sealer....makes it a lot easier to get things back out too
Valy
QUOTE(root @ Sep 25 2011, 05:40 AM) *

Check the thermal expansion qualities of aluminum and other materials.
Aluminum would be your're first choice. It expands the fastest but may lock in place after some time.
Copper is your 2nd choice.
Any steel is not so good

See this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_expansion

Dr Evil
Shit, I better get on it if I am to beat you to finishing my bike first tongue.gif

Looking good thumb3d.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.