Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Higher volume oil pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jporsche914
I am getting my 1972 1.7L rebuilt back to stock except for the 40% more volume oil pump. The reason i am getting it rebuilt is because one of my bearing went out so i thought more oil would be better than stock. Did i make the right choice picking more volume and a little more presure or will it just give me problems? Is 40% overkill??
Thanks
Jake Raby
More volume is better, but what pump did you choose?? The easy way out is the Melling cast iron pump, but they have leakage (internal and external) problems..

Retrofitting a Type I pump is the best way to do it!
jporsche914
I ordered the Heavy duty oil pump from the perfomance products website. I am not sure who makes the pump.
Jake Raby
It has to be Melling, its the only one thats a drop in.
jporsche914
What should i do?? Should i have them pull the motor and get a rebuilt original pump put on?? Or will this be ok??
rick 918-S
I'm always concerned about the oil pump when a motor spins a bearing. Could be the cause of the failure. I would do what ever Jake say's.
jporsche914
So Jake what should i do.
Thanks
Jake Raby
What cam are you using?? This makes a big difference in what can be done, as the gear needs modification.
jporsche914
I am using a stock cam but the bearings on the cam where bad and they have not determined if the cam is still good. So do i have to get a different cam??
Jake Raby
The gear is the main thing for the oil pump install.. Trash that stock cam, and up your efficiency, even if the old cam checks good. I'll bet a radius check on the lifters would prove them to be flat, or flattening anyway..

The whole package should be updated. Your heads will run cooler and the engine will have a smoother power transition to the upper revs.
Korijo
who makes the CB Maxi pump?
Cap'n Krusty
Done right, a rebuild using the stock oil pump should last for years and a hundred thousand miles and up. Way up. The limiting factor is the lifespan of the heads. Over the last 31 years of wrenching on 914s, I've seen VERY few T4 motors that even needed the crank ground, much less the cam bearings and align bore work. The oil system is a phenominal improvement over previous VW engines, and the aluminum cases are relatively bulletproof. The Cap'n
Jake Raby
The bottom end is pretty much bulletproof.. But adding oil volume and a few oil system upgrades is always a good thing. Many stock pumps will no longer pass inspection these days. The Type I pump upgrade is something every engine that I build gets and it has definately helped with my higher revving engines along with modifying the oil passages and changing all running clearances. We picked up 12 HP on one engine just by changing the oil system for higher volume and less pressure at higher RPM!

With the DLC coating the liofespan of valves and guides may be doubling, even running .600 lift with my new roller cams!
SpecialK
Any tech articles on this Type I oil pump mod you speak of? idea.gif My spankin' new 2.0L has yet to be installed, and I can easily get to the pump with it on the stand. Now would be the time to do it.
Jake Raby
Gotta do it while its disassembled.. The cam gear needs modification for clearance purposes..
I just had some special bolts made for this purpose that makes it easier but all parts must be compatible.
Korijo
So who makes the CB Maxi pump?
Jake ?
Jake Raby
CB as far as I know...
Korijo
is the CB Maxi pump Any good?? 26mm gears confused24.gif
Carrera916
Jake,

If the cam gear area needs to be modify, in terms of bolts, is it possible for us to do the work or it needs to be send out to you?

What are the cost involve to get the cam gear, T1 oil pump and modified oil passage done?

jerry
Korijo
mine actually has 32mm gears w00t.gif cant find it on CB's website, tho confused24.gif
Jake Raby
If thecase is together its all guess work for clearance since you cannot get inside to see.. If you start from scratch I have a whole kit to make it work correctly.
thomasotten
Jake:

I think it would be helpful if your website listed the prices for these specialty kits that you offer.
Jake Raby
I stay away from selling my parts as a general rule... If I have plenty of something in stock I will sometimes sell some items..

I am not set up for individual sales, just bad ass engines!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.