Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: earnhardt shunt
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
anyone see jr's crash this past weekend? Was in practice, driving one of the pratt and miller built C5's.

I imagine that these cars are built with no expense spared and by some of the best builders in the world (P&M).

The fuel cel either was punctured or burst, there was a major fire, the car came to a stop and after about 3 seconds it ignited.

Now I don't feel so good about my fuel cel in my admittedly low $$ racecar. Guess I am going to buy some new double layer nomex underwear and balaclava.

dr
nine14cats
I feel the same way...I thought that the car's fire system would have done a better job...but it seems that the issue was too much for it to handle....scary...
TimT
The fuel cel either was punctured or burst, there was a major fire, the car came to a stop and after about 3 seconds it ignited.

I saw a corvette team manager say(on national TV) that the off occured right out of the pit on cold tires, the filler neck was filled to the quick release valve with fuel.

When the car backed into the wall it broke the filler neck off, and a few quarts of fuel were slung around

Ever notice the Corvettes have the fuel filler in an odd location? like halfway up the height of the car as opposed to top fueling like 99% of the other cars...I Heard that they did this for some reason for lemans.

Even so....this was a World Class car that went up in smoke...

so lets all triple check ours before we hit the track agin..
machina
QUOTE(TimT @ Jul 19 2004, 05:47 PM)
When the car backed into the wall it broke the filler neck off, and a few quarts of fuel were slung around

If that is what a few quarts of fuel look like when they ignite, it can really make you re-think your entire safety system, from your nomex socks to the cage.

Please, no lectures about this is a dangerous sport etc. I know that.

dr
Jake Raby
Thats what he gets for doing anything more than left turns...
TimT
oh no lectures, my friends car went up in smoke at Pocono last year. It was aTurbo look 911, that had been reboidied with a wide body 993 kit. 3.8 clone RSR motor, all the bells and whistles

The cars owner had a falling out with my friend (the builder) and brought the car to another shop for the syncros to be replaced.

His second time out with the car after the tranny work, and up in smoke it went!!!!! the AN line to the fuel pressure regulator was only hand tight.

Still had my friends shops graphics on it though unsure.gif

The fuel cell is supposed to have a disciminator valve that prevents fuel from draining if the car is inverted...In this case it appears the filler neck and vent were ripped off, and the fuel ignited on the exhaust, but the one way valve was open because the car was still upright! So the path for the flame led right to the full fuel tank..

I wonder how closely ALMS is going to look at this?

from the TV replays, Dale Jr was motionless for a few seconds AFTER the fire was started, then was barely able to get himself out of the car.

I need to get a fuel cell for my 914... now is as good a time as any!

BTW this is the car that burned last year
seanery
I know this wouldn't have helped jr. but does anyone use the inertia cut-off switch?
From Smart Racing:
IPB Image
Inertia Activated Fuel Pump Cut-Off Switch
One of man's most simple, yet brilliant designs. In a hard accident, if the driver is unconscious or unaware, ruptured fuel lines can spray pressurized fuel with potentially bleak consequences. Oil pressure activated switches will not shut off the fuel pump if the engine continues to idle. We have tested these switches on a G production SCCA car, PCA GT4 car and a Porsche 962 (at rough Sebring) without a single miss-trip. A smart and wise investment.

Inertia Switch: part #935100 $59.95
Randal
I thought that the car's fire system

Check the video. He hit that wall hard and I don't think was conscious when he stopped. Can't hit the bottle like that!

I was talking to Rich, who knows Sears like the back of his hand, and Brad at lunch and everyone thought it just seems crazy that he'd be pushing the car on that corner (*) with cold tires.

If you listen to the video it sounded as if the tires spun, for a few seconds, before he lost traction and went off.

Rich wondered if the fuel was leaking on the tires before he went in to that corner….

My guess is that the accident was mechanical.

This wasn’t his first trip around Sears on cold tires with a big V8.

(*) anyone who drives lots of tracks will tell you that the S's at Sears are as technical as it gets.
URY914
I saw the replay run during the race. The on camera showed the gas splashing around just before it ignited.

I also heard he did not pull the on-board fire system. He was in too a big hurry to get out.

(can't blame him, wasn't his car.)

Paul
machina
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jul 19 2004, 06:26 PM)
I saw the replay run during the race. The on camera showed the gas splashing around just before it ignited.

I also heard he did not pull the on-board fire system. He was in too a big hurry to get out.

(can't blame him, wasn't his car.)

Paul

I hope his injuries are as minimal as they are saying. Seems like in situations like this the spin would be to downplay and injury.

You never can tell how someone will react in a situation like he was in. Remember that this guy has racecars in his DNA, a true professional, and he barely had the time or presence of mind to release the harness and GET OUT.

Fire is a good motivator but maybe a little emergency egress practice is a good idea. After you've got a good bump on the head, you don't want to be thinking "in a spin both feet in" and all that crap. I'm sure fighter pilots practice emergency drills so they know what to do when the shit hits the fan.

dr
dinomium
We had a small fire in the RSA 911 at Rose Cup. I DONT LIKE THE FIRE!!! As soon as I popped the bonnet, I was on the radio for the driver to get outta the car out of the car!
Just the plastic around the abs unit and the battery was in flames... right next to the Fuel Cell!
Frankenstien is right FIRE BAD!
TimT
Sean that fuel pump cut off is a great safety enhancement....something I should get <_<

Rich wondered if the fuel was leaking on the tires before he went in to that corner….

When they fill the tank, you fill until you see fuel coming out the vent (return)

again the fuel fill location on the corvette is suspect, on the side of the car? so if the quick release valve doesnt seat properly on release, then the fuel in the fill and return can dribble down the side of the car, and right onto the rear wheels..

If the fuel/fill return is on the top ( like most other cars in ALMS) if the quick releases dont seat after fueling, the fuel level just goes down...

and if you have impacts with top mounted fuel fills I think there is less chance for it to be compromised than if its mounted on the mid height side of the car..
Randal
time or presence of mind to release the harness and GET OUT.

I still wonder if he was intitally conscious. He looked like he was just sitting there, with his head down.

BTW normally that is a 120 plus corner, so how fast was he going during the practice lap? Even if it was only 70mph or 80mph, that would be how fast he hit that tire wall.

That's got to unsettle your lunch as bit, going from 80mph to 0mph in about two feet of tires. That would knock anyone silly.

I'm just glad he recovered and got out.
smg914
When I saw this happen while watching Speed Channel, the corvette had a camera mounted facing out the rear of the car. When the car hit the tire wall, you could see quite a lot of liquid splashing around. The announce commented that it was gas. I thought to myself, "That's not gas, that's water inside the tires". A few seconds later the car was in flames. I still think the visible liquid from the initial impact was water.
URY914
New this fall-

Speed Channel CSI, watch the replay for yourself and try to stump the experts.

biggrin.gif

Paul
TimT
I still think the visible liquid from the initial impact was water.

could be , if you were at a track in a less arid area... notice there is almost no vegetation around that track!, and they had water trucks in the earlier races watering the spectator areas...( yes I watched alot of racing this weekend) That "diiferential cam" or whatever showed fuel being spread...

A few weeks ago my student decided I should see a Lime Rock tire wall up close and personal....I wore some of that mung infested mosquito ridden water... I changed and showered asap
TimT
Heh Paul its my story and Im stickn to it
URY914
rolleyes.gif

I think the liquid is piss coming from inside Jr's suit.
I bet he pissed himself.

Paul
Levi
QUOTE(Randal @ Jul 19 2004, 04:19 PM)
time or presence of mind to release the harness and GET OUT.

I still wonder if he was intitally conscious. He looked like he was just sitting there, with his head down.

he was looking down to try and see the belt release, you couldn't see his hands but I'll bet they where real busy... w00t.gif
Eric_Shea
agree.gif

I also heard a fuel "line" broke but that may have been the filler. This is getting a lot of attention because it was "Little E" and quite the spectacular crash (big fire makes good TV). I'm glad he's OK because it could have been much worse but hey... if it was anyone else... confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.