Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any way to recover/save a clutch disk that....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
I have a clutch disk that was covered with trans fluid from a leaky seal. I assume it's not salvageable, but I wanted to check. It's not that old, so I figured I'd ask.

TIA.
rick 918-S
I would toss it. You could wash it in solvent but the gear oil is likely soaked into the fiber. I will work but when it gets hot the oil will seep out and cause the disc to chatter on release and slip under load.
pcar916
Long ago I used a poultice of lacquer thinner and fuller's earth to leech it out. But I made up a totally random 15-20 minute time limit just to be kind to the resins and binders in the disk material. Then used sand paper on a flat surface to smooth out the "feathers". Never had one fly apart on me and they worked fine.

Used the same method with bleach to remove mold and mildew from granite and marble. Works like a charm.
Mike Bellis
My disc is a copper composit. No fiber. It would be easy for me biggrin.gif Sorry to hear about your disc. Replace it... sad.gif
Ductech
mine is a fiber stock type clutch, coupled to an ej22 subaru it was covered in oil when i got it, Cleaned it well with brake clean. sanded slightly with sand paper. It currently holds well. I don't stomp on it to much.
underthetire
I re-used mine after the trans seal leak. Brake clean, then covered it in baby powder for 2 days, rinsed and still in the car.
76-914
Not that I would try this in a 914 but........When I was a kid I would back my 56 Chev to a phone pole and let out the clutch w/ some power and burn it off. But that was poor Texas Kid mechanics.
Dr Evil
You were a KID in 56? That was old enough to DRIVE? Man, how old are you? poke.gif tongue.gif
r_towle
bury it in kitty litter...keep changing the kitty litter.
Give it a day or two and that should leach out any moisture that it can.
Then clean it off and drive it till it explodes....someday it will.

Rich
messix
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 26 2011, 07:47 AM) *

Not that I would try this in a 914 but........When I was a kid I would back my 56 Chev to a phone pole and let out the clutch w/ some power and burn it off. But that was poor Texas Kid mechanics.

sounds like a good way to prep a flywheel to explode!
Bills914-4
It's a 50-50 crap shot , my Kevlar disc got contaminated (gear oil) I tried the brake
cleaner (2-cans, $10.00) It looked like it was good, but for me it didn't work mad.gif , I ended up buying a new disc ( 4-puck sprung ) . I was getting good at dropping the the trans & changing the discs biggrin.gif , Bill D.
914Mike
The VW idiot book said to get some white gas, (what used to be the fuel for lanterns and camp stoves), soak overnight, then light it off. Tried that once with a bug disk, worked OK.
IronHillRestorations
Do yourself a favor and just get a new one. Unless you have an unlimited amount of free time, and like to pull the engine in your 914. How many times do you want to do the job?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.