Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Show me your late model factory installed front mounted fuel pumps
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
I have a box mount that looks like this one in the photo. I was thinking of using it to mount the fuel pump for Sandy's Ravenna car. Show me you factory hole and dimensions for locating this thing.

Click to view attachment
SLITS
That cover plate is the fuel pump mount on a '75 - '76. Pump attaches with a screw clamp to the backside of that plate. Remove the 4 screws and pull the cover.

Oops ... I'll measure the hole today when I get to the office. Will post dimensions tonight.
jaxdream
Don't forget to use high pressure lines through the tunnel if using F.I. , the early cars's lines weren't meant to be presurized from the front . Good Luck...

Jack
rick 918-S
Thanks guys, I have Chris Foley lines installed. The car is a 73 so the pump was in the rear.

I need to cut the hole so measurements for the hole in a 75-76 car would be great! The black box is a nice clean look.
jpnovak
I mounted a Ford F150 external pump in that location for my Suby swap. Worked out nice and clean.

I can get measurements tonight.
TheCabinetmaker
Here ya go Rick, I was just fixin to change my filter.
IPB Image
IPB Image
TheCabinetmaker
Holy crap! those look like Andy pics.

It says 6- 11/16" X 2- 5/8"
914werke
try this perhaps a bit clearer biggrin.gif
Rick Ive got a car that Im about to sawzall-smiley.gif so if you want this section cut LMK

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
r_towle
Rick,
Put the spare tire in the front and the board that goes over it.
Make sure the little bump out piece is below that line.

Rich
Tom_T
.... or, just do what the factory/VoA service bulletin recco'd & mount it to the L of the round front tunnel access (R pass side sitting in car) on lower front firewall up behind the ZF steering rack, with FP wiring either along Pass rocker cover space or inside tunnel. Then the steering rack cover covers it & gives you access without cutting up her front trunk bulkhead.

rick 918-S
Thanks all! Lots of good info here again.

Tom, I was thinking of mounting it under the car as discribed bu it would be nice to service the pump without going under the car. That's my only game changer.

Rich, I have a spare but I don't have the cover. It was smashed in the front collision and I haven't got one from a parts car or purchased one off the classified. That's why I was looking for the measurments.

r_towle
Call EASY in SFC CA...
He probably has a crate of them...

Rich
SLITS
Here ya go Rick ...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

The pump is a CIS pump for the Grey Ghost. A /4 is a bit smaller in diameter.
tod914
Rick, just a tidbit of info.. the late style feed nipple (7mm) fits on the early tanks. You'll just need the smaller opening compression nut. Same one as the return.
Spoke
I fabbed the fuel door by hand leaving enough room to remove the pump.

First cut the hole about 4in by 8in

Click to view attachment

Used the cutout to size the door and welded a bigger piece onto it to overlap the opening.

Click to view attachment

Used 4 bolts to hold the door in place.

Click to view attachment

Welded the nuts onto the firewall with the door in place so everything fit.

Click to view attachment

The pump is held in with hose clamps. Made the slots for the hose clamps with a Dremel.

Click to view attachment

Rubber pipe coupling was used to buffer the pump from the wall. I had an original fuel pump mount but it was too tall to fit in this space. This is why the original door was recessed. Mine wasn't recessed to I had to use the rubber couplings and hose clamps.

Click to view attachment

Pump in place.

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Lots of great info here. We have had discussion threads in the past about relocating the pump but I don't recall seeing any photo how-to's.
r_towle
see if the tank fits now...I think they left the pump hanging out for a reason....dunno

Rich
914werke
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 26 2011, 03:39 PM) *

Thanks all! Lots of good info here again.

Rich, I have a spare but I don't have the cover. It was smashed in the front collision and I haven't got one from a parts car or purchased one off the classified. That's why I was looking for the measurments.

Rick I got u covered shades.gif
Ill send you the cover assembly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.