Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I bought 1.7L heat exchanger
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jporsche914
I bought SS Heat exchangers from a fellow 914 owner that are supposed to fit a 1972 1.7L and the exchanger are too short. What does this mean are they 2.0L Heat exchangers??
Thanks
Joe Ricard
What does it look like. Do the tail pipe ends swoop up or go straight. Those are the only two styles out there unless it was modified by some one.
jporsche914
Here is a picture of them.
jporsche914
Here is the back side
jporsche914
Are these 2.0L Heat exchangers
nebreitling
QUOTE(jporsche914 @ Jul 19 2004, 03:04 PM)
Are these 2.0L Heat exchangers

yup
jporsche914
How can you tell the difference.
Ray Warren
These are 1.7 HE's.
You will need a 2.0L muffler and hanger to use the ones you have.
bondo
The 1.7 heat exchangers have an s curve in them, that positions the outlet higher up than the part of the HE that has the sheet metal wrapped around it. 2.0 heat exchangers may be worth more, you might be able to sell them, buy the right ones, and have money left over smile.gif You can also use them as is, but you'll need a 2.0 muffler hanger and muffler.
SirAndy
1.7/1.8 SSI exchangers, see the upward bend at the end?
2.0 exchangers are straight ...

IPB Image
Joe Ricard
Hey Andy them are Stainless Steel No need to oil them to keep em from rusting laugh.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Jul 19 2004, 05:06 PM)
Hey Andy them are Stainless Steel No need to oil them to keep em from rusting laugh.gif

ha ha, very funny ... biggrin.gif

i didn't know they were SS SSI's until i cleaned them ...
icon8.gif Andy
jporsche914
I think i might keep the SS heat exchangers and convert to a 2.0L exhaust. What exhaust would you guys recomend (bursch, Sebring, ect) i put on.
SirAndy
QUOTE(jporsche914 @ Jul 20 2004, 08:46 AM)
I think i might keep the SS heat exchangers and convert to a 2.0L exhaust. What exhaust would you guys recomend (bursch, Sebring, ect) i put on.

put on a bursch. the 2.0 will make your engine flow/breath much better.
plus, the SSI 2.0 is even bigger than the stock 2.0 ...

wink.gif Andy
SLITS
The 2.0 is a larger diameter pipe and freeer flowing. To convert you would need a '73-'74 transmission exhaust hanger to make them work. Your 1.7/1.8 won't work (doesn't line up). As you already know, you will also need a different muffler - mounting flanges are different.

If you need a set of 1.7/1.8 SS, I have them and could do a trade. biggrin.gif
newdeal2
Here it goes again...bad advice [from a local shop]. I picked up some 1.7 HE in SS for a song on eBay in perfect condition and swapped my 2.o Bursch for a 1.7. Is the decrease in "flow" all that noticable considering we are dealing with a wopping 95HP on the 2 liter?

Just tired of bad advice [not from this group mind you].
jporsche914
About how much horsepower should i expect from converting my stock 1.7L exhaust to 2.0L SS heat exchangers and a bursch exhaust.
SLITS
I have no dyno information. A SWAG would be 1 maybe 2 HP.
jporsche914
sad.gif Thats it!! I was hoping i would get 3-4 HP. I am sure it will sound awsome anyway. Would the conversion be good for the engine since it can breath easier??
SirAndy
QUOTE(jporsche914 @ Jul 21 2004, 09:37 AM)
sad.gif Thats it!! I was hoping i would get 3-4 HP. I am sure it will sound awsome anyway. Would the conversion be good for the engine since it can breath easier??

3-4 seems likely. that's a 5% increase in HP on a 80hp motor!

if nothing else, you'll have more heat now!
Andy
jporsche914
83 HP makes me happy mueba.gif heat is a good thing also.
Thanks for the help everyone!
SLITS
QUOTE(jporsche914 @ Jul 21 2004, 09:37 AM)

The volumetric effeciency of an engine is a combination of many things with the exhaust only being one part of the chain. A change in one item does not necessarily mean a boost and, in fact, could be a detriment to increased horsepower. I doubt that this is the case in going from a 1.7/.8 exhaust to a 2.0.

Get the hanger and muffler and do it.
maf914
If you can't find a 2.0 hangar, you can get one from Engman on the 914 Parts forum. All you'll need is a muffler and some new stainless nuts, washers and bolts and you're done.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=ST&f=4&t=12704
newdeal2
I have a hanger you can take for free [just postage].

Peter
jporsche914
That would be awsome peter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.