Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jacking Etiquette
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
I have a question regarding the proper use of floor jacks and jack stands. How do you get jack stands under the donuts if you are using them for the jack. I have heard that you can use the engine crossbar to raise both wheels at the same time but I don't know if this is acceptable. How do the rest of you do it?
URY914
It depends on your jack if you can get under the crossbar to jack the whole back in up. A lot of us place the jack under the tranny and than jack up both wheels. I do.

Or you can get one of those jack plate that slide in the jack hole. They work well.

Paul
Allan
So no problem with crossbar integrity? And the tranny will bear it as well?
bondo
I jack up from the donuts and then put the jackstand under the longitudinal as close as possible to the jack. Then if I can I leave the jack under there as additional support. This is also a great way to check your longitudinals for rust.. if the jackstand hits your door, you have rust smile.gif
URY914
Cross bar is cast iron and will hold the weight fine. So will the tranny and the tranny is easier to get to and is more stable. With the cross bar, your jack may not be in the center and could slide off. Not good.

Paul
bondo
Paul: Do you even need a jack? biggrin.gif
Allan
Thanks alot. Should I use protection for the cup on the jack, i.e., wood block, etc?
URY914
I just took these...
URY914
The block of wood keeps the jack away from the speedo drive.

All the white crap is fiberglass dust.

Paul
Allan
Is that all stock bracing under there? What's the supports that run up and back?
URY914
Bondo,
I use the jack when I'm working by myself. If my 9 year old is home, she'll pick up one end and I'll postion the stands. biggrin.gif

Paul
URY914
Thats the struts that hold the oil cooler. Since this pic was taken I've flipped the cooler so it doesn't drain down.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.