Check these out
fuch toy
More
fuch toy
two more
fuch toy
OK last one.....
tryan
thermostat controlled? two speed fans? cfm? looks good. what car is it for? cooling tin mods?
rhodyguy
i would think that avoiding the parasitic loss of power from the crank driving the fan is a real + with this setup, but swaping the sparkplug wires could be a pain.

kevin
fuch toy
These were modified for the "cool" look, then a door was added to get to the plugs.....thermostat for the fans....I have to look up the CFM, but they WAY exceed the single squirrel cage they replace....
914werke
Nice! clap56.gif
Are they One-Off, or are they FG molds for production?
Dosent look like they would work with the stock Djet hardware though.
EFI ... Hmmm.

Rich
fuch toy
Carbs only....they are prototypes....
Aaron Cox
looks pretty cool....is that a 2L or a 1.7 0r 1.8?
airsix
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 25 2003, 06:31 AM)
i would think that avoiding the parasitic loss of power from the crank driving the fan is a real + with this setup, but swaping the sparkplug wires could be a pain.

kevin

There is no shuch thing as free work. Whatever work you have taken away from the crank has just been transfered to the alternator.

Ok, it's time for resident math wiz's Jeff and Andy to step up to the chalk board and show the class how these little electric fans can NOT move as much air as a type-I, Type-IV, or 911 fan. (FYI it takes about 12hp for a 911 fan to move the air it does, and it is an efficient fan. How many hp are these little fans drawing? 0.5? 0.25?)

I very well could be wrong, but paint me sceptical.

-Ben M.
fuch toy
Going on a 2.4. The alternator is a 90 amp GM single wire unit.
rhodyguy
doesn't the battery provide the dc voltage and the alt provide the voltage to recharge? the inertia to drive the alt is most certainly less the stock fan, and the associated resistance the fan produces while pushing air.

kevin
Aaron Cox
i have seen those somwhere before.....
what do you think of the 911 style conversions
CIP1 type IV 911 fan shroud

are theses of comparable quality/benefit/cooling?
airsix
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 25 2003, 08:17 AM)
doesn't the battery provide the dc voltage and the alt provide the voltage to recharge? the inertia to drive the alt is most certainly less the stock fan, and the associated resistance the fan produces while pushing air.

kevin

The power required to spin the alternator is directly proportional to the load placed on it. One of the most enlightening (no pun intended) science demonstrations I participated in as a kid was spinning a hand-cranked generator while various loads were applied to it. No load, easy to turn. Flip on a single 60w light bulb and it gets hard to turn. Turn on 3 x 60w lightbulbs and you can't even turn the crank there is so much resistance. Your engine experiences the same thing when you apply electrical loads to the alternator.

A 90amp alternator can output 1,125 watts at 12.5 v.
Even at 100% efficiency that would require 1.5hp off the crank. (I don't know how efficient automotive alternators are, but it's not 100%)

-Ben
Aaron Cox
The power required to spin the alternator is directly proportional to the load placed on it. One of the most enlightening (no pun intended) science demonstrations I participated in as a kid was spinning a hand-cranked generator while various loads were applied to it. No load, easy to turn. Flip on a single 60w light bulb and it gets hard to turn. Turn on 3 x 60w lightbulbs and you can't even turn the crank there is so much resistance. Your engine experiences the same thing when you apply electrical loads to the alternator.

A 90amp alternator can output 1,125 watts at 12.5 v.
Even at 100% efficiency that would require 1.5hp off the crank. (I don't know how efficient automotive alternators are, but it's not 100%)

very well put, but.....are the newer equipment(ALTENATOR and FANS) more efficent, because they have better designed bearings etc- better manufacturing than 30 years ago?

in the race world- some people even use electric waterpumps instead of crankshaft driven ones.
cha914
Isn't this the setup made by a guy in Aussie land? I have seen a copy of this setup in person...looks interesting...

Tony
Mark Henry
Sorry but I'm totally with Ben on this one.

Also if one fan fails, be it a short, a blown fuse, etc. you'll cook the engine. One thing about the fan on the crank, if the engine is turning so is the fan. The same can be said about a belt driven fan/alternator combo if the alternator is working so is the fan.

I would want real CFM comparison values at all 'real world' RPM levels. Hey if you want to do the back-to-back testing, fry-up a couple engines and get me the data, maybe I'll 'think' about taking a look at one.

BTW competitive Drag racers in the VW beetle aircooled scene, including myself, have been using a set-up with two big squirrel cage fans for years.
The purpose is they run on the battery, we use no alternator (= more HP), you do your run down the 1/4 and shut down the engine leaving the fans on. Drag racers all know that if tried to drive on the street with this set-up, you would fry your engine within a few miles.

I don't give a rat's ass how cool it looks! Does it get you home? Looks like red chrome to me.
fuch toy
That's what extra fuses and temp gauge are for.... rolleyes.gif
Jeroen
Hey Zois,

Isn't that the Fiberwerks setup?

cheers,

Jeroen
fuch toy
Yup....they are not really selling them retail due to a lack of product liability insurance. I am buying "prototypes".
Mueller
You can convert those to mechanical fans:
This is an aircooled V8

IPB Image
airsix
QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 25 2003, 02:50 PM)
You can convert those to mechanical fans:
This is an aircooled V8

Where in the crap did you find that? What is it? I've never seen anything like it. From the fans it looks like it spins counter-clockwise. Wierd stuff.

-Ben M.
Mueller
Here is another way to cool your motor:
I like this design...yes, it is a Corvair engine, the Webers are supposedly GM castings with Weber parts. Prototype

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.