Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is my motor worth more parted or
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine14cats
What is the resale value of my 2.7 race motor? This is the one that I overreved last month at Buttonwillow and either bent a valve or smoked a piston. If I sell it to get a bigger motor, is it worth more to me as the seller to rebuild it as a new rebuilt unit or part it out?

It is:

2.7 6 cylinder
Weber 40's
Webcam 120/104 camshalfts
JE 10.5:1 compression pistons
Headers
headwork and all kinds of other goodies to keep the 7R mag case from flying apart
reworked distributor for additional advance

I'm going to tear her apart this weekend, but if I decide to go bigger in engine, what is the most value to me as the seller to do?

Thanks,

Bill P.
Andyrew
Cant you use your headers on whatever bigger six you go with or are they diff?

Parting vs building and selling I think would be based on, do you need the money for the other engine? Or would you mind holding the parts for maybe a year trying to sell it all at topish dollar (unless you ebay'd)

Dont know the values... So this is my in general statement...

andrew
nine14cats
I think if I went 3.2 I might be able to use my headers...but I believe anything bigger will require larger headers....
nine14cats
I could hold the parts. It's more space and time than actual cost of getting rid of the engine. But I'd prefer to not hold onto 2 engines worth of stuff....

Bill P.
J P Stein
As you are aware, the 2.7 doesn't have the greatest reputation. A blowed up 2.7 .....with unknown damage is worth maybe 2-3K with carbs.

If you rebuild it and don't have it running so's a buyer can see/hear/feel it run......maybe 3500-4500....hard to say. Done by a respected engine builder maybe 6-7 K.

Parting it....the way I figure...depending on the damage...3500-4500 for the bits.....it's worth more in pieces than whole. confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.