Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Identifying engine tin
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bondo
My roller came with 2.0, 1.8 and bus engine tin. Is there any easy way to sort it out? I can take pics of each piece if necessary.
type47
location of spark plug holes should identify the top 2 cover pieces; high holes=1.8, lower=2.0. all the rest of the pieces are the same, i'm pretty sure. look at any parts diagrams to make sure (PP, AA, catalog, factory parts books, etc...)
SLITS
agree.gif 1.7/1.8 spark plug holes are on top of the cylinder cover. 2.0 spark plug holes are on the side. Bus tin - no clue as to difference. Could only tell you 2.0 912E tin is different.
davep
Maybe a quick way to sort is to sort out the pieces where the spark plug location is the same: that is the bus and 1.8; the rest should be 2.0. The 2.0 and 1.8 should have the same outer shape to fit the 914 engine shelf, whereas the bus should be different.
Dave_Darling
The 2.0 top tin has the plug holes mostly in the vertical side part. The 1.8 tin (and Bus tin) has them in the top horizontal part. Check the shape of the sides; I think the Bus has a different shape to the part of the tin that goes out to the engine shelf.

The stuff that bolts to the bottom of the heat exchangers will be different from a 73-74 914 to a 75-76 914 to a Bus.

Can't think of any other differences offhand.

--DD
Cap'n Krusty
ALL bus top tin has the plug holes in the top, even the 2 litre engines. ALL bus tin has a sharp edge on the perimeter, with a serious wavy elevation change all the way around. 914 tin has a rolled edge, and conforms to an engine compartment that is (more or less) flat on 3 sides. Bus tin takes a clever foam seal that goes around the entire engine in one cheap and convenient piece. 914 tin conforms to a bunch or outrageously priced rubber "profiles" that rot and go away after a while. The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.