Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: 2002 BMW 328 Security System
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Carl
I'm curious about the stock BMW security system on a 2002 328. One was stolen from a nearby apartment development this week and I wonder what a thief would have to do to drive off with a relatively current beemer.

I wouldn't suppose they can simply be hotwired. Do they have a security system with a chip imbedded in the key so the ignition switch have to be bypassed?

Does anybody here know how they work?

Thanks,
Carl
Andy
I don't know of any specific vulnerability to them but I was talking with a friend of mine a couple days ago who reposseses cars. Talking with him he doesn't bother messing with hotwiring newer cars, if they don't get a key from the leasing agent (I guess relatively common) they just cruise in with a flatbed and roll it on the truck - they can be in and out in less than a minute. Made me feel a little less confident in my alarm, chipped key and kill-switch. sad.gif

'Course I prefer a line of work that will NEVER get me shot at...
seanery
This is interesting. My buddy who lives in Hancock Park (just south of Hollywierd) had 2, yes 2 Chevy Avalanches stolen. Those vehicles have security devices, plus on-star and neither were ever found. The police believe that it was an inside job at the dealer on La Brea- Local Guys Beware! as there were about 30 Avalanches stolen in the area in a 4 month period.
Carl
there were about 30 Avalanches stolen in the area in a 4 month period.

Maybe they're doing us a favor. I think they're pretty ugly (personal opinion).

That aside, this beemer was taken from a parking garage that was fairly secure from the outside. It's not very likely that a tow truck got in there.

It appears that the thief broke open a patio gate to get access to the garage, got into the car, started it and drove it out. All of the garage and parking gates open automatically in the exit direction to comply with fire codes so no other devices were needed to get out of the building.

I'm wondering if a 2002 328 comes with a security system as a stock item? If so, is bypassing the secure key just a matter of ripping out the ignition switch and jumping connections on the back? I thought the key code was something the computer wanted to see but if it only relies on the keyswitch for verification then it seems like a weak security measure.

It is odd that with OnStar that the Avalanches weren't found. It must have been a pretty experienced group that took them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.