Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can I remove EGR stuff ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
johannes
In my country, Cat converters are not mandatory on old cars and NOX is not mesured neither.
On my 75 1.8 the cat converter has been replaced with a bypass tube but now I want to know if I can safely remove all the EGR stuff (valve and tubes).
What has to be plugged or keeped open. Something to rewire ?
confused24.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Yes.you can remove it all. You well need to plug the holes in the heads, or leave the tubes and plug or crimp the ends of them.
jcd914
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Sep 28 2011, 03:42 AM) *

Yes.you can remove it all. You well need to plug the holes in the heads, or leave the tubes and plug or crimp the ends of them.

agree.gif
Except there are no hole in the heads on 1.8L, no air injection.
Plug the vacuum line to the EGR valve, plug the port where the EGR enters the intake tube & plug the outlet on the muffler.
Box it all up and save it or sell it to someone over here that still has to get theirs smogged.

Jim
johannes
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Sep 28 2011, 07:41 AM) *

QUOTE(vsg914 @ Sep 28 2011, 03:42 AM) *

agree.gif
Except there are no hole in the heads on 1.8L, no air injection.
Plug the vacuum line to the EGR valve, plug the port where the EGR enters the intake tube & plug the outlet on the muffler.
Box it all up and save it or sell it to someone over here that still has to get theirs smogged.

Jim

That sounds even easier ...
No chance the distributor will be fooled ? There is a yellow line going from EGR to distributor confused24.gif

IPB Image
Cap'n Krusty
EGR is used to control combustion temperatures. In my rather extensive experiences with late T2s, engines without EGR wipe out heads even faster than those with it. Good rebuilders won't warranty a T4 engine in a bus application if the EGR system is inop. Think about it ...................

The Cap'n
r_towle
Thankfully we are not pushing aerodynamically challenged, overweight and underpowered buses around with our little motors.

I would suggest you track down the proper early Heat exchangers and muffler if you are going to remove the system....

The 75/76 heat exchangers retain to much heat under the motor bye directing it forward first....

backdating the HE system has more benefits than just the additonal HP you will obtain...it will make the motor run cooler.

Rich
Drums66
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 28 2011, 02:26 PM) *

Thankfully we are not pushing aerodynamically challenged, overweight and underpowered buses around with our little motors.

I would suggest you track down the proper early Heat exchangers and muffler if you are going to remove the system....

The 75/76 heat exchangers retain to much heat under the motor bye directing it forward first....

backdating the HE system has more benefits than just the additonal HP you will obtain...it will make the motor run cooler.

Rich

.....I'm inclined to agree!! idea.gif
bye1.gif flag.gif
johannes
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 28 2011, 01:26 PM) *

Rich

I agree with you but this is quite a big investment. Heat Exchangers, + Muffler + J tubes + L tubes + Hanger. We are talking about 1000 Dollars... icon8.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 28 2011, 02:26 PM) *

Rich

Remember, I said "combustion chamber temps". While somewhat related to overall engine temps, there is a difference. '75 1.8s run REALLY lean, and that makes 'em have high combustion chamber temps, resulting in an increased possibility of dropping a valve seat or breaking off a valve. Obviously, it makes sense to do all you can to drop overall engine temps by doing the things you suggest, but it's not likely to cool the CCTs as much as you'd like, IMO.

The Cap'n
johannes
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 28 2011, 02:51 PM) *

Remember, I said "combustion chamber temps". While somewhat related to overall engine temps, there is a difference. '75 1.8s run REALLY lean, and that makes 'em have high combustion chamber temps, resulting in an increased possibility of dropping a valve seat or breaking off a valve. Obviously, it makes sense to do all you can to drop overall engine temps by doing the things you suggest, but it's not likely to cool the CCTs as much as you'd like, IMO.

The Cap'n

Would tweeking the combustion to make it rich solve the issue ? confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.