Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: a subtle wing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vortrex
ebay
eeyore
Is that a Ferrari in the garage?
Cap'n Krusty
What, you never watched Magnum, PI? It's a 308 of some sort. Figures a 308 guy would have a 914 with a wing like that ........................... The Cap'n
F4i
Somewhere there is a dodge superbird looking for that. ohmy.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 20 2004, 04:14 PM)
It's a 308 of some sort.

could be a 328 as well ...

one wonders how good that wing will hold up at 120mph, bolted onto the deck-lid and all.
trick setup, it'll change angle depending on the flex of the lid!

icon8.gif Andy
ejm
Wonder why his neighbor put up such a high fence rolleyes.gif
scotty
trick setup, it'll change angle depending on the flex of the lid!

Yeah...that's probably why it's for sale: he got protested at his last race for having a movable "aerodynamic device" rolleyes.gif
thomasotten
His neighbor put up the high fence because he was sick of looking at that bastard of a rear spoiler.
Brad Roberts
The wing is actually a very nice piece sold by Randy Beck (Chuck Becks son..of the "Beck 550 Spider"

We have a car at the shop with a similar setup.

B
Andyrew
I really do like that car...

Andrew
URY914
GT flares only on the rear??

Strange. wacko.gif

Paul
Freedom
the car is good looking but to bad the wing and the mirrors do not compliment its fine lines.
ablose58
No, Don't like it. At least it matches the color of his neck! laugh.gif laugh.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif monkeydance.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif icon8.gif icon8.gif
Trekkor
If I had disposable income, I'd buy that car...Tonight.

I'd make the wing removable for track use only. cool_shades.gif

I want a race car. unsure.gif

Trek Man
MattR
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jul 20 2004, 05:55 PM)
GT flares only on the rear??

Strange. wacko.gif

Paul

I saw a car with flares in the rear only in a junkyard today. It had stock wheels too barf.gif . yeah, i know they wouldnt put nice wheels in a junkyard car... but still.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 20 2004, 05:52 PM)
The wing is actually a very nice piece sold by Randy Beck (Chuck Becks son..of the "Beck 550 Spider"
We have a car at the shop with a similar setup.

so, master, please, explain to us unworthy "clueless masses" how a wing that is bolted to the rear decklid can be a good thing, build and sold by "Randy Beck" and endorsed by your highness himself ???

this seems like a awfully bad spot to put a *few* pounds of pressure against (thin sheetmetal) ...

what are we missing?
confused24.gif Andy
J P Stein
I clicked on that evilbay link at work last night and got a virus warning.....puter went bonkers.

.......the red accents look like shit.....said the guy with the primered fenders. laugh.gif
GWN7
I remember reading when Dodge came out with the roadrunner super birds that their wings did not have any effect on the cars until they reached 150+ mph.....

Price seems right for a 3.6 car. I'd loose the red accents and mirrors.
Mueller
it needs front flares..........914's just look plain silly with stock front fenders and GT or 911/SC (sorry Cap'n) rear flares. 1st thing I think of when looking at a rear flared only 914 is "damn, it got rear ended and insurance only covered the back half of the car" smile.gif

Andy, I'm just guessing here since it's hard to see the bottom of the rear trunk, but maybe he has supports that once the lid is closed, the supports come in contact with the trunk floor giving it support unsure.gif smash.gif
Brad Roberts
Andy,

All the wings sold by Beck come with custom supports that bolt in directly under the uprights. I dont agree about his uprights.. the one at the shop is done different (you have seen it many times) I cant comment on whether or not this guy installed the extra braces.. I tend to give people some credit until they prove me wrong. He did a decent job on the car.. cant imagine why he wouldnt have installed the extra bracing for support of the uprights.

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 21 2004, 08:49 PM)
but maybe he has supports that once the lid is closed, the supports come in contact with the trunk floor giving it support

i might be getting old (and blind) but for the life of it, i can't see any support for the uprights in here ...

confused24.gif

IPB Image
Brad Roberts
Upper right hand corner of pic. They are flat pieces of steel to distribute the load of the wing where the uprights mount. The uprights are not "just" mounted to the decklid.

Oh.. that particular area is VERY strong. The frame of the decklid triangulates right there.

B
Andy
Not to be a jerk but is the reinforcement just a sandwich plate on the decklid?

FWIW The Superbirds and Daytona RTs that had functional wings that big ran solid aluminum stock to the frame.
maf914
I would question the two parallel uprights. It appears that there is no lateral stiffness and that you could push the wing from the side and it would fold down parallel to the deck. It looks like an angled cross brace, or two, is needed to triangulate the assembly.

By the way, flexible wings are a hot topic again in F1. Everyone is accusing each other of using them to reduce drag at high speeds.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.