Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What color for engine tins?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stugray
So I am planning on having my engine tins powder coated, and I cant decide what color would look the best.

This is for a stock looking vintage race car so there is some desire to keep it looking original.
It will have dual webers.
However the stock semi-gloss would make the engine bay look darker and make it harder to spot oil leaks.

The outside of the car is currently silver.
The engine bay is currently gold/champagne.

I eventually plan on painting the entire car viper green, or Chevy Synergy Green like Mikey914s sawtooth but probably not for a few years.
So a color that is compatible with all three would be desirable.

Also, for the fan shroud, should I have it painted to match whatever color the tins are, or leave it looking stock?

I have one fan shroud that looks like it just came off the showroom floor.
Maybe have that one clear coated?

Thoughts?

Also, any pictures of engine bays with different paint schemes would be great.

Stu
ripper911
Polka dots.
zymurgist
I was going to say red until you said that the car will eventually be green. Too Christmasy.
yeahmag
Black. Black sheds heat better...
RiqueMar
I went for wrinkle black back when I had a /4. It looks really clean in the engine bay, and has a nice texture to it. These pictures don't really do it justice.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Sep 28 2011, 09:25 AM) *

agree.gif Smooth, gloss black is easier to clean.
Spoke
Painted the tin to match the car.
MartyYeoman
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Sep 28 2011, 10:28 AM) *

QUOTE(yeahmag @ Sep 28 2011, 09:25 AM) *

agree.gif Smooth, gloss black is easier to clean.

That's the way I've always done it.
Gloss black engine paint on the tins.
Ford gray engine paint on the intake runners.
rnellums
Chrome it for the bling factor!
yeahmag
I was ALWAYS taught "chrome don't get ya' home". Chrome holds heat...
stewteral
QUOTE(stugray @ Sep 28 2011, 09:10 AM) *

So I am planning on having my engine tins powder coated, and I cant decide what color would look the best.

This is for a stock looking vintage race car so there is some desire to keep it looking original.
However the stock semi-gloss would make the engine bay look darker and make it harder to spot oil leaks.

I eventually plan on painting the entire car viper green, or Chevy Synergy Green like Mikey914s sawtooth but probably not for a few years.

Also, for the fan shroud, should I have it painted to match whatever color the tins are, or leave it looking stock?

Thoughts?

Stu

Hey Stu,

I went with Flat Black powder coat on my metal and like the look. If you want the "Stock look" there is always gloss black.

Take a look at my pic and see what you think.

Best,
TerryClick to view attachment

McMark
I prefer satin, instead of semi-gloss. Black is my choice, 100% of the time.
76-914
Click to view attachmentI haven't seen purple, yet. Mine looks like one of Carman Miranda's hats. I did it to be defiant. happy11.gif
'73-914kid
IPB Image
Ford red Baby! happy11.gif

Scott S
One of this clubs fiberglass guru's should try and make an amber set of tins for the 4 cylinder cars. I love the look of the raw amber on the 911 motors. Wonder how or if it would effect cooling?
stugray
Thanks for all the pics & advice.

I think I have decided on plain old black, However, I thought it would be cool to do "Black Chrome" which is usually a plating job but can be approximated with powdercoat.

Looks like this:

IPB Image

The powder coating guy said he could do it, but would double or triple the cost.

Here is a cool link that shows the difference between: Gloss & satin.

http://www.chromedomemotorcycleproducts.co...amp;cPath=66_83

I think I will go with the gloss-black as it looks the most like black chrome:

IPB Image

Guy said ~$200 for all tin pieces including the small ones you typically dont see from the top.

Next question: I have a 100% perfect factory looking fan shroud (I think it still has a factory sticker). It is very clean and un-molested.
Should I leave as is, polish, or get it clear coated?

And finally, anyone want a complete type-1 fan shroud, fan, engine tins, rebuilt-generator & generator stand? Some are powdercoated black, shroud is zinc plated.
That was all that is left from my Ghia building days, just takin up space in my garage.

Stu
r_towle
QUOTE(stugray @ Sep 28 2011, 12:10 PM) *

Exactly why Black is the right color.

Rich
70_914
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Sep 28 2011, 10:49 AM) *

I was ALWAYS taught "chrome don't get ya' home". Chrome holds heat...

But a little bling won't hurt a thing...
Drums66
.....Yeah, black......you won't be able to see the oil&grease idea.gif
bye1.gif shades.gif
stugray
"But a little bling won't hurt a thing..."

Actually, if I could do all the tins to look like Eric's brakes I would go for it...
Shiny Yellow Zinc. drooley.gif

I'm sending my calipers out this weekend. Hmmm.....

What do I do with the fan shroud? Paint the nasty one I have and save the pristine one?
Or clearcoat the pristine one?

Here is the good one:
IPB Image

The crappy one would need sand/sodablasting.

Stu
stugray
Ok, never got an answer about the two fan shroud options above.

However, I decided that powder coat was not in the budget, but the shrouds are stripped down to the original plating and ready for paint.

I bought the "High temp engine paint" (usually used for headers) in flat black and am getting ready to paint today.
Any suggestions? I had the option of "engine paint" which said it was good to 500 degrees, but that sounded a little close to air cooled engine temps for me to trust.

I have been told that charcoal lighting fluid is the best for removing grease & wax, but I have almost any other paint prep chemical to be found.

What does everyone consider the very best to clean the metal with right before paint?

Stu
reharvey
Gloss black and silver. It's the best!
my wife hates my car
QUOTE(stewteral @ Sep 28 2011, 12:51 PM) *

QUOTE(stugray @ Sep 28 2011, 09:10 AM) *

Thoughts?

Stu

Hey Stu,

I went with Flat Black powder coat on my metal and like the look. If you want the "Stock look" there is always gloss black.

Take a look at my pic and see what you think.

Best,
TerryClick to view attachment

Terry, how do you get the engine case /fan shroud so clean & shiny? I am in the middle of rebuilding my 2.0 (in pieces laying on the garage floor) & just wondering, is it just clean, or do you guys spray something on there? WTF.gif
IronHillRestorations
I don't like flat black. It's harder to clean and always looks like primer to me. Like McMark, I prefer satin black. Duplicolor makes a pretty decent high temp satin black.
StratPlayer
I'm going to coat a set of tins in black chrome will post the pics when their finished
euro911
Then tins on my new 2056 are powder-coated semi-gloss black. After going through all the trouble bead-blasting everything, I thought it was worth the extra cost over paint.
Fan shroud and transaxle are high-temp gray paint.

Click to view attachment

Some nice looking engines out here smile.gif

Use a drill motor with circular wire brushes on the case if you want to get it looking nice and clean. It also gets rid of the spiderweb casting marks.

QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Sep 28 2011, 08:29 AM) *
I went for wrinkle black back when I had a /4. It looks really clean in the engine bay, and has a nice texture to it. These pictures don't really do it justice.

Click to view attachment
I remember us hoisting that out of there poke.gif
Ed_F
Like what others have said, black is your best bet. I learned this many years ago from T1 people who were dumping aftermarket chrome engine tin to go back to black.
ellisor3
I did black chrome tins in powder coat, and body color for shroud and love it
ellisor3
I did black chrome tins in powder coat, and body color for shroud and love it
CG-914
Just make sure you powder coat!
Everything else does not work in the long run!
StratPlayer
Everything here is powdercoated
Mikey914
BK-08, semigloss black nice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.