Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '76 carb repairs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Radmacdaddy
As explained in the thread I just posted, this '76 2.0 914 engine is in a VW vanagon I am purchasing.

The carb has a little movement in the shaft which hooks up to the throttle linkage. My understanding is that it works, but is getting some sort of blow-by.

Does this sound like something that could be easily fixed, or a part replaced, or do I need to put in another carb? I see that dcauto.com has a good listing of stock parts, but not sure exactly which part it is. Anyone have any thoughts on all of this?

Thanks for looking.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Radmacdaddy @ Sep 28 2011, 11:33 AM) *
Anyone have any thoughts on all of this?

No US 914 came with a carb from the factory. So, without knowing what kind of aftermarket carb you have, it's hard to answer your question.

Post a pic of your engine bay, that'll help trying to figure out what you have ...

welcome.png
Radmacdaddy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 28 2011, 02:45 PM) *

No US 914 came with a carb from the factory. So, without knowing what kind of aftermarket carb you have, it's hard to answer your question.

Post a pic of your engine bay, that'll help trying to figure out what you have ...

Thank you for your comments SirAndy. & For the welcome.

I don't have access to get a pic at the moment. So what came on the engine? Forgive my ignorance, but I think I will know a lot about these engines REAL soon!
jcd914
QUOTE(Radmacdaddy @ Sep 28 2011, 11:54 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 28 2011, 02:45 PM) *

Thank you for your comments SirAndy. & For the welcome.

I don't have access to get a pic at the moment. So what came on the engine? Forgive my ignorance, but I think I will know a lot about these engines REAL soon!

welcome.png

All US 914's came with Fuel Injection, all 2.0L 914s came with D-jet FI, a manifold pressure controlled system.
It is common to call the type 4 engine used in the VW bus & Vanagon a "Porsche" engine which can then be translated to "914 engine". The Vangaon may just have a carb on the original 2.0L type 4 engine that came in the vanagon.

Jim
GeorgeRud
On the four cylinder cars, there were some rest-of-world cars that had dual carbs, but I've onle seen one in my life so far.

More commonly, the fuel injection was replaced by some dual carbs (various kits are/were available), or by a single carb on top of the engine. Most folks feel that the single ncarb doesn't work well no matter what you do to try to make it run properly. For an otherwise stock engine, the original fuel injection works best.

There is another thread on this forum where a microsquirt system is being developed. That would be a wonderful upgrade when a kit is available, as today's fuels don't like car zany ore, and fuel injection will make the car run much better.
r_towle
The answer is yes, you can fix it.
The method for each carb is similar, but different.

To fix it you would disassembled the carb body, drill out the section where the shaft is and press in a bronze bushing.
Then you can ream out the new bushing to match the old shaft.

its a common fix on the expensive 6 cylinder carbs but it may be cost prohibitive to do this work on the 4 cylinder carb unless its a real weber or dellorto.

Art Thrian (sp) is the man to track down...he rebuild these 4 cylinder carbs and will guide you in a good decision.

Rich
Art Thraen
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 28 2011, 03:07 PM) *

The answer is yes, you can fix it.
The method for each carb is similar, but different.

To fix it you would disassembled the carb body, drill out the section where the shaft is and press in a bronze bushing.
Then you can ream out the new bushing to match the old shaft.

its a common fix on the expensive 6 cylinder carbs but it may be cost prohibitive to do this work on the 4 cylinder carb unless its a real weber or dellorto.

Art Thrian (sp) is the man to track down...he rebuild these 4 cylinder carbs and will guide you in a good decision.

Rich

[size=5] I would have to see them, But If they are to far gone, Better to replace because of cost..
Art @ ACE
www.aircooledengineering.com
360 W. 6100 So #A
SLC, UT. 84107
801-943-1234
Cap'n Krusty
You sure it's a 914 motor? It would surprise me if I saw a Vanagon with a 914 or earlier VW T4 engine installed. The cases are distinctly different and would present installation issues that could be a PITA to overcome. Height would be a factor, as the oil filler/breather of a 914 sticks up pretty far. Adding a carburetor would interfere with the engine cover, besides suffering from all the Holley/Weber driveability issues. Trust me, fixing that little intake leak at the shaft isn't gonna make the thing run well.

The Cap'n

Radmacdaddy
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 29 2011, 10:18 AM) *

You sure it's a 914 motor? It would surprise me if I saw a Vanagon with a 914 or earlier VW T4 engine installed. The cases are distinctly different and would present installation issues that could be a PITA to overcome. Height would be a factor, as the oil filler/breather of a 914 sticks up pretty far. Adding a carburetor would interfere with the engine cover, besides suffering from all the Holley/Weber driveability issues. Trust me, fixing that little intake leak at the shaft isn't gonna make the thing run well.

The Cap'n

Definitely a 914 engine. I understand it is a common mod. I'm hearing it is also possible with a subaru Legacy engine, which surprises me much more! I don't have it in front of me yet, but recon that the carbs are somehow offset.
Radmacdaddy
Ok, so this is interesting... it is a 3236DFAV23A carb, which is the same carb in a '73 pinto!

How odd is that? I found pics of it here: http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20182
and the numbers match and visually it looks exactly the same as the pinto carb, so I picked one up on ebay for $50! vs. $400 as a Porsche carb.

I have a 14 day return on it, so if it's not the same, well then, it'll jut go back.

Based on the thread the rebuild kit for the carb is the same as the pinto, thus I made the connection. Turns out webercarbsdirect.com has the original rebuild kit for $15.

I'll let you know how it goes when I get to the car next wed. I'm flying to AZ from Vermont! Wish me luck! cheer.gif
TheCabinetmaker
" how odd is that?" Not odd at all. that carb is used on a lot of different applications. Its a cheap carb, and a lot of 914's have them. That does not make it the right carb or even a good one. In fact, its the worst carb you can use. BTW, there are no "porsche" carbs.

You gonna drive it back to VT? Plan your route and post it here so you can get some cantact numbers on your route for a little help along the way. Not trying to be negative, just realistic. I'll bet your gonna need it.
DBCooper
There's a kit with that carb sold for every VW aircooled engine. It's a cheap and common carburetor so your best option will be to replace it instead of repairing. You could actually just get a rebuilt one at any auto parts store and turn in that leaking one as a core (switch the jets first). That's cheap, but if you love the car think about putting the original fuel injection back on.

The loose shaft won't hurt much unless it's really really loose. There's vacuum under the butterfly, so that shaft will let in a little extra air that will lean out the mixture. That's the worst thing for an aircooled engine that already needs to shed a lot of heat, but will probably get you home. I've seen really badly leaking shafts that had been driven that way for years without the owner even being aware. I'd just check it after some time on the highway, see how hot it gets. It isn't mid-summer so I'd guess you'll be fine. If not then your engine will melt, but it will be pretty easy to tell if that happens.
Radmacdaddy
I'm thinking...installing a temp gauge is a good idea, eh?

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Sep 29 2011, 12:47 PM) *

There's a kit with that carb sold for every VW aircooled engine. It's a cheap and common carburetor so your best option will be to replace it instead of repairing. You could actually just get a rebuilt one at any auto parts store and turn in that leaking one as a core (switch the jets first). That's cheap, but if you love the car think about putting the original fuel injection back on.

The loose shaft won't hurt much unless it's really really loose. There's vacuum under the butterfly, so that shaft will let in a little extra air that will lean out the mixture. That's the worst thing for an aircooled engine that already needs to shed a lot of heat, but will probably get you home. I've seen really badly leaking shafts that had been driven that way for years without the owner even being aware. I'd just check it after some time on the highway, see how hot it gets. It isn't mid-summer so I'd guess you'll be fine. If not then your engine will melt, but it will be pretty easy to tell if that happens.

Radmacdaddy
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Sep 29 2011, 11:56 AM) *

You gonna drive it back to VT? Plan your route and post it here so you can get some cantact numbers on your route for a little help along the way. Not trying to be negative, just realistic. I'll bet your gonna need it.

That's a great idea! I would love to know I have some support if needed... then, when I get back to N. Ireland... where this Van will end up, I'll gladly do the same if anyone is out there! beerchug.gif with guinness included beer3.gif wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.