Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tow Dollies for 914's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
avidfanjpl
Is a tow dolly on a 914 some kind of problem?

I wanted to find out.

Towing a platform trailer is the next choice up, but we are talking 6 miles on flat ground with 3 turns on local streets. 6 miles there, and 6 miles back.

The front wheels would be put in the dolly and towed by a pickup.

I will change to a trailer if I have to, but I don't want to unless it is a real issue.

Real world comments and/or experiences?

Thanks!

J
Tom_T
/6 racer probably not an issue, but for Orangina I'd opt for flat trailer to preserve any F&R Valance pan damage & extra miles winding through the transaxle.

My 2 cents from past experience John.

PM me on how the CHT resistor worked for Orangina.
Beach914
J, I have have towed six 914's around the SoCal area> Mostly rollers on a U-Haul Dolly and have not experienced any problems. Against their advice I have towed them backwards on city streets. I have had to do this because of the half shafts hanging down. Make sure the car has decent same size tires on the front wheels and unlock the steering wheel. I only tow with front wheels when freeways are involved and its probably advisable because of the rear window. I've used the U-Haul trailers so much recently that I must be a major shareholder now.

David
damesandhotrods
If you’re registration isn’t paid up, if you’re caught you will be cited. In California, if there isn’t a current paid license plate, then no wheels can be on the street.
hot_shoe914
I have used a tow dolly to tow from Memphis, Tn to Los Angeles and back. Memphis to Pennsylvania, and even towed from Memphis to Richmond, Va backwards. Yes, I said backwards. I have never had a problem.
Beach914
QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ Sep 28 2011, 01:33 PM) *

If you’re registration isn’t paid up, if you’re caught you will be cited. In California, if there isn’t a current paid license plate, then no wheels can be on the street.

I understand this to be true also as the trailers themselves are not required to be licensed, which seems kinda weird since they have lights and safety items.
avidfanjpl
OK

Going for a full registered trailer and pickup truck.

THANK YOU ALL!

J
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Beach914 @ Sep 28 2011, 07:06 PM) *

I understand this to be true also as the trailers themselves are not required to be licensed, which seems kinda weird since they have lights and safety items.

Where do you live that a trailer requires no registration & license plate?
Appears to be California, in which case - "I don't think so..."
Every state I've been in (i haven't been to them all yet) has required license plates & registration for a trailer...
TheCabinetmaker
You haven't been to Oklahoma I take it?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Sep 28 2011, 07:37 PM) *

You haven't been to Oklahoma I take it?

Been there, never towed anything there.
If car-carrying double-axle trailers don't require licensing there - good for you.
Most other states view them as revenue opportunities and want the opportunity to collect registration. In PA, they even require inspection, probably annual like motor vehicles, although I haven't had to jump through that hoop yet. Still need to attend to some lighting issues on mine before I go for registration.

Not sure I'd try to take a no-plate trailer out of OK into another state, even if you are sure it's legal there - sounds like a ready-made invitation for a traffic stop...
TheCabinetmaker
Well, i'm very sure it is not required here rich.lol. Some states have reciprocal aggrements in regards to traffic laws as long as the vehicle is properly registered in its home state. We are talking priviately owned trailers, not hauling for hire. If you and you're car are both legal you should not fear a traffic stop any way? I'm sure it would be a good idea to check with the state you will be traveling in before youre a trailer there. Just like traveling with my concealed firearm (and I do).
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Sep 28 2011, 08:01 PM) *

...If you and your car are both legal you should not fear a traffic stop any way...

You know that - I know that...
But bring a no-plate trailer into PA or CA and I think it'd be an intense time.
(Have a copy of your home state vehicle code in the car kind of thing...)

The state guys might know this stuff, if you stay on the Interstates.
I wouldn't trust the locals to know it.

PA has some CCW reciprocity - been a while since I've checked.
I have checked NY - there is -none-.
TheCabinetmaker
One should always know the laws in another state, just like another country when visiting.
Beach914
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Sep 28 2011, 04:31 PM) *

QUOTE(Beach914 @ Sep 28 2011, 07:06 PM) *

Where do you live that a trailer requires no registration & license plate?
Appears to be California, in which case - "I don't think so..."
Every state I've been in (i haven't been to them all yet) has required license plates & registration for a trailer...

I just noticed that there weren't any license plates on the last two u-hual dollies I rented so i was thinking that it was why the car needed to be registered. I would stand corrected if I mistated anything.

Dave
speed metal army
I hate trailering my car..But ive got a good reason! biggrin.gif
avidfanjpl
My mechanic insisted for a number of reasons that an unregistered track car has to be on a full trailer.

So, I rented a pickup and a full trailer for 60 bucks for the day.

The AX car can drive up onto the trailer. No sides.

I am not sure about CA licensing, but the car has to be fully trailered or else you can get a ticket for a vehicle having wheels on a public thoroughfare.

Better yet, my neighbor is a CHP officer and told me as well today.

So it goes. No unregistered wheels allowed to touch CA roads. BIG TICKET AND POINTS!

John
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Beach914 @ Sep 28 2011, 09:46 PM) *

I just noticed that there weren't any license plates on the last two u-haul dollies I rented so i was thinking that it was why the car needed to be registered.

Originally you said trailers, hence the confusion...

Tow dollies seem to be kind of a special case, in part for being a "two-wheeled conveyance" but mostly because in use, they are used between two licensed vehicles (as you observe).

Even in PA there seems to be a distinction between 'vehicle' and 'tool.'

Example - every year we rent a big chipper. It's a two-wheeled carriage with lights, but no brakes. They're not licensed (here) either.

I've transported cars with dollies and I do not recall if the dollies had plates or not. I thought I remembered so, but it's been a long time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.