Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Testing an Ignition switch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
What will be the easiest way to verify the ignition switch works ? Don't want to remove it, want to use my test light and meter and get the answer in 5 minutes.

My thought is: Verify fuse panel gets 12v when key is on; test starter wire for voltage when key is turned.

It's a '75 L-Jet
Dr. Roger
LOL, if you think you have an ignition switch problem, you do.

Seriously.

But to answer your question, disconnect the spade connector at the starter solenoid and have a friend watch a volt meter as you turn the ignition switch to the start position.

Even that can be a false positive because that old-ass switch can make contact but not deliver the amperage required to trip that solenoid and start the car reliably.

That was my experience and I know many others have had the same experience.
Cap'n Krusty
Use a volt meter, at least on the starter test. Put it right on the "trigger" terminal of the starter. A test light will tell you only that there's voltage, it won't tell you how much. some '75s have the seat belt logic relay under the passenger seat. If your's has one, make sure it's properly bypassed.

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.