Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Differences in VW Bus 2.0 and 914 2.0 engines?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
amphiduck
I am in the process of pulling the engine on my '74 2.0 and the closer I get to pulling it, the more worried I am about the engine being a VW bus 2.0 engine. I just bought a D-Jet fuel injection system (thanks Bob!) and a clutch kit for the engine, now wondering if they will work. What are the differences in the engines? If it is a VW 2.0, would I be better off finding a 914 2.0? My car has the single down draft weber. While I'm at it, what fuel pump do you guys recommend for the fuel injection set up? I see on evilBay some of these fuel pumps going for big bucks. This car is just a normal driver, so I wouldn't need anything fancy.

As always, thanks for all the help!
mgphoto
QUOTE(amphiduck @ Sep 28 2011, 04:31 PM) *

I am in the process of pulling the engine on my '74 2.0 and the closer I get to pulling it, the more worried I am about the engine being a VW bus 2.0 engine. I just bought a D-Jet fuel injection system (thanks Bob!) and a clutch kit for the engine, now wondering if they will work. What are the differences in the engines? If it is a VW 2.0, would I be better off finding a 914 2.0? My car has the single down draft weber. While I'm at it, what fuel pump do you guys recommend for the fuel injection set up? I see on evilBay some of these fuel pumps going for big bucks. This car is just a normal driver, so I wouldn't need anything fancy.

Bus motor has 4 stud heads, only the Porsche 2.0 heads have 3 studs, take a peak at the manifold where it connects to the head, look closely.

Stock fuel pump works fine, some new Chinese made are available (1 inlet - 1 outlet) cheap but some say they don't last long.

Also take a look at the FI you are going to install, the manifolds must match.

Good luck,
Mike
70_914
Bus oil fill (the case itself) and dipstick are different. Cranks are the same, so your clutch will be fine.
jmill
Bus pistons have a lower CR and a different cam.
Dave_Darling
I think the pilot bearing is different in a Bus as well, so you might need to check that.

The heads are different, the pistons are different, the valves are different, the cam is different, the oi fill and dipstick are different, the engine tin is different, the fan is marked differently, the intake system is different, the exhaust is different, the distributor is different...

The crank and rods are the same, at least. And the cylinders, I think.

--DD
amphiduck
Thanks for all the info. I took a few pictures of the engine in the car and it appears that the PO took the intakes out of a VW bus, drilled new holes, and mounted them on the engine. I'm leaning towards the engine being a 914 2.0, but if anyone can tell anymore from the picture, please let me know.Click to view attachment
mgphoto
QUOTE(amphiduck @ Sep 28 2011, 08:44 PM) *

Thanks for all the info. I took a few pictures of the engine in the car and it appears that the PO took the intakes out of a VW bus, drilled new holes, and mounted them on the engine. I'm leaning towards the engine being a 914 2.0, but if anyone can tell anymore from the picture, please let me know.Click to view attachment

Check location of serial number, 2.0 914 should be behind the oil filler, there are 2 basic engine codes for the 2.0 914 in the USA, the GA used from 1973 to 1974 and the GC used in the 1975 - 1976 model years. GB code was used in the rest of the world with the carb engines.
Type 4 cases bus or Porsche are pretty much the same except for the dipstick location and the oil filler neck, yours looks to be 914, dipstick should be between the oil filler and the drivers side of the engine.

Prospectfarms
QUOTE(amphiduck @ Sep 28 2011, 07:31 PM) *

While I'm at it, what fuel pump do you guys recommend for the fuel injection set up? I see on evilBay some of these fuel pumps going for big bucks. This car is just a normal driver, so I wouldn't need anything fancy.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=145361
Dave_Darling
The single-carb setup is aftermarket--period. It was usually "universal" to fit the three-stud heads and the four-stud ones.

You have 914 heads, three intake studs and the tilted spark plugs.

BTW, the GB motors also had D-jet FI, not carbs.

--DD
Niklas
Tha cam are all the same on 914 and bus.

Niklas
Bleyseng
QUOTE(Niklas @ Sep 29 2011, 03:33 AM) *

Niklas

No, the bus cam peaked at 4200hp vs the 914 2.0L peaked at 4900rpms...
Al Meredith
Bus rods are heavier as well
fitsbain
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Sep 29 2011, 04:01 AM) *

QUOTE(Niklas @ Sep 29 2011, 03:33 AM) *

Niklas

No, the bus cam peaked at 4200hp vs the 914 2.0L peaked at 4900rpms...

I want me one of those 4200hp bus motors. Johnny Force here I come.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Al Meredith @ Sep 29 2011, 10:42 AM) *

Bus rods are heavier as well

That's just not true. They're the same rod, the same part number, the same.

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.