Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT Hydraulic clutch issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tradisrad
maybe you guys can give a little insight for me. the other forums dont seem to have people who work on their own cars...

history: Subaru outback wagon 1999 5 speed hydro clutch. 50k miles on clutch, pressure plate and t/o bearing. clutch master, slave and connecting hose replaced 60k ago.

driving home yesterday in stop and go traffic my clutch pedal feel changed instantly and the clutch started to release at the top of the pedal stroke, not near the low to mid way point that I am used to. it seemed to take more effort, felt stiffer and the release is an inch from the top (or less) the clutch feels like it is still engaged and did not feel like it was slipping.

this morning the clutch felt normal until I got to work and it had the symptoms back (about 15 shifts between home and work and 25 miles). It has remained the same through out the day and with a million shifts in traffic.

I am confused as to why the pedal would suddenly start to release at the top. When the original slave failed the release got lower to the floor.

I was thinking that the slave cylinder was not depressing back in when the clutch was released. Maybe the pressure plate has gone bad?

any one have any ideas?

IanJ
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Sep 29 2011, 09:07 AM) *

maybe you guys can give a little insight for me. the other forums dont seem to have people who work on their own cars...

history: Subaru outback wagon 1999 5 speed hydro clutch. 50k miles on clutch, pressure plate and t/o bearing. clutch master, slave and connecting hose replaced 60k ago.

driving home yesterday in stop and go traffic my clutch pedal feel changed instantly and the clutch started to release at the top of the pedal stroke, not near the low to mid way point that I am used to. it seemed to take more effort, felt stiffer and the release is an inch from the top (or less) the clutch feels like it is still engaged and did not feel like it was slipping.

this morning the clutch felt normal until I got to work and it had the symptoms back (about 15 shifts between home and work and 25 miles). It has remained the same through out the day and with a million shifts in traffic.

I am confused as to why the pedal would suddenly start to release at the top. When the original slave failed the release got lower to the floor.

I was thinking that the slave cylinder was not depressing back in when the clutch was released. Maybe the pressure plate has gone bad?

any one have any ideas?

When did you last change the fluid? Have you tried bleeding it? Any leaks?
Out of interest what pedal are you using?
tradisrad
no leaks, fluid is a few years old, will bleed, clutch pedal. Curious, why ask what pedal? I need time to get to it, but the sudden change seems to be more than old fluid.
-Rob
IanJ
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Sep 29 2011, 11:43 AM) *

no leaks, fluid is a few years old, will bleed, clutch pedal. Curious, why ask what pedal? I need time to get to it, but the sudden change seems to be more than old fluid.
-Rob

Could be a leak. Sorry the reason I ask is i'm looking at the subaru conversion too and pedal is one of the things I'm still wondering about.
tradisrad
oh, this is actually in my Subaru; not a conversion.

admin, shold this be moved to the sandbox?
wobbletop
You've asked on NASIOC right?
tradisrad
i've checked their forums and have posted other items there, but I've never gotten good answers for the issues I've raised. I figure that there are more mechanics here and someone must have an idea. I'll get it solved and will start with the basics and work my way through. I am hoping for an "I know what is wrong" answer.
thanks
-Rob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.