Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Damn V8 guys. Now got me thinking
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Dr Evil
To stay with the concept of our cars and drive train, I am looking, only out of curiosity dry.gif , for suitable V8 engines.

The 3.5L Rover engine seems like a decent fit, but I want smaller and higher revving. Red line at 6500.

What I found, BMW 3.0 V8 from 1992.
M60B30
3.0 L (2,997 cc (182.9 cu in))
160 kW (218 PS; 215 hp) @ 5800
290 N·m (214 lb·ft)) @ 4500
Red line 6500

Anyone know about these? Availability? Cost? Other options? Ideas?
VOX
i dont know about smaller... but the lexus 1UZ-FE V8 with VVTI, 4.0 liter, 300hp/310tq. should be cheap.
speed metal army
Bah!An all aluminum Chev SB is the path to righteousness.Tons of options,Tons of horsepower.

If I ever go V8,Its this route for sure.I dont need any hard to find bullcrap.Djet is bad enough!!!! biggrin.gif
Rand
Dude, LS. Period.
The most modern and advanced development with all the latest FI and every other important genius, with the lightest weight to power per dollar out there.....

Which LS will you choose?

I'll be quite happy with LS1.

Show me anything better.
dlkawashima
Hartley V8 ...

http://www.h1v8.com/page/page/1562068.htm

IPB Image
speed metal army
QUOTE(Rand @ Sep 28 2011, 09:49 PM) *

Dude, LS. Period.
The most modern and advanced development with all the latest FI and every other important genius, with the lightest weight to power per dollar out there.....

Which LS will you choose?

I'll be quite happy with LS1.

Show me anything better.

Word...

I hate that expression,but..Word.
Dr. Roger
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Toyota-Y..._Motor_Show.jpg

Or the highest winding production car engine to date...,,, found in the LFA
TC 914-8
I must add the chevy 302 (327 block w/283crank, 69 Z-28 engine) is a great canidate, short stroke High reving. Rod Simpson Hybrids has a deicent web site on how to pick a V-8 for your Porsche.
I reciently updated my engine with roller lifters and cam, I can peg my tach @ 7000rpm. Originally my engine was dyno'd 416 hp 375 ftlbtq.
The Technolgy is a bit antiquated compaired to the LS and Lexus engine but it fits the 914 well. the only thing I wish I had is a fuel injection and fuel management system. Good Luck
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
wingnut86
I'm not sure how this would stand up to track rigors, but it would be fun as hell, with low end torque AND replacement motors abounding at every junkyard. Not a V8 - just half that from a Detroit Iron perspective, with a hornet strapped to its ass happy11.gif

http://www.bostig.com/index.php?option=com...&Itemid=254

Click to view attachment
BajaXJ92
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 29 2011, 12:05 AM) *

I am looking, only out of curiosity

Lies/Fabrications. IPB Image
SUNAB914
I feel the same way, I want one also, but I think 200-275 hp would be more than enough.
injunmort
early m60 engines had nikisil cylinder liners that did not hold up to hogh sulphur in us fuels. they would prematurely wear and grenade. bmw recalled them and replaced with alucil blocks. iirc.
dflesburg
I had a 2003 Cobra convertable.
It had a 4.6 Supercharged 32 valve motor in it.
Similar to the ford GT

I always thought that would be super bad ass in a 914.
mark21742
How about big and high reving? I vote for the ls motors too......my 408 ls stroker put down a little over 600 HP and revs to over 8,000 rpms
jimkelly
v8 914's have been around since i was a kid - and everyone should own one - but i now think that a 914 with a suby engine and suby trans - is also a must own. scott, yes, this is a heads up : )

mrdkrantz
LS motors are the way to go with light and cheap. But I would like to see a grand national turbo 3.8l buick motor swap with the TA Performance all alum block and champ heads
Brett W
For lightweight V8s the LS is pretty much it unless you can get your hands on some nice race V8s. But I don't see anyone putting a Judd V8, Cosworth V8, Acura V8, etc in their street car. The LS is the best solution for the street. They can get down below 400lbs with the right parts and they make tons of torque. Plus you can get the HP way yo there, well beyond the capabilities of most Porsche Transaxles.

The nice thing with the Suby whether you choose the four or six cylinder version is you get to toss the crappy Porsche Gearbox option. Personally I can't stand driving a car with a 901, 915, or even a 930 box. They shift like a dump truck. The Suby swap gets you a modern gear box with good syncros and better gearing right out of the box. Plus you still come out lighter than a V8 anything
rohar
Somebody's got to say it. Audi 3.6l v8. You can do a solid lifter conversion using aftermarket 1.8l 16v parts to push the redline up quite a bit. Aluminum block and dirt cheap. And as Brett W mentioned, tranny issues are a problem with V8 conversions, but the Audi FWD transmission is a fairly easy solution.
BIGKAT_83
There is a running 4.2L Audi V8 powered car here in Atlanta. I don't know what transaxle he is using but my guess would be Boxster/Audi.
I'd like to see this. Seems like it would make a great car.

My vote goes for the Subaru with the transaxle makes a great combo makes a honest 215HP and gets 30MPG.

Bob
Click to view attachment
eric9144
So out of curiosity, how much does a 'good, complete' used LS1 run $$$? idea.gif
mark21742
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Sep 29 2011, 11:02 AM) *

So out of curiosity, how much does a 'good, complete' used LS1 run $$$? idea.gif

Salvage yards around here, $700 for 4.8, or 5.3, $1,100 for a 5.7, or 6.0. Or you can find a wrecked F-body or truck for around $1,500-2,500 and get all the sensors, wiring, small parts.
mark21742
I think I've decided turbo charged Honda 4 cylinder with a Honda 5 speed tranny for mine.....since I already have one laying in the garage smile.gif
mark21742
The iron block 6.0 truck motors run 87 lbs more, but if built right can handle boost over 1,000 HP smile.gif
Brett W
The inline four is not really the best choice for these cars. I think the inline four with a transverse transaxle is going cause packaging problems. If it were me I would either sell the Honda drivetrain by itself or buy a Honda and swap in the good motor and drive it. If you want to stick with a four cylinder the Suby motor, if you must have a V8, the LS seems like the only one that makes sense.

With the LS you have access to a huge aftermarket support, engine control, knowledge base, etc. There are good foreign options but they are limited in the support and parts availability. In many cases you will have to work out the options for making the foreign engine work, not in the original car. At least with the LSX you have the full blown standalones that plug right in. GM has already done the work on installing these engines in many different applications. (BTW, I hate GM because of their politics).
Dr Evil
Jeez, everyone missed my intention. I would like a readily (not ferrari or lambo) available, small displacement (3.5 or lower), lower HP (<276) V8 to throw into a stock 914 for some fun. I am not trying to build a rocket ship, just a fun car. No LS, that is the opposite direction.

An E60 could be re-nickasiled. The 911 cylinders were of this make.
Rand
Just pull a couple spark plug wires off the LS. poke.gif laugh.gif
andys
Dr. Evil,

You could do a LR4 4.8L LSx V8 to keep the torque somewhat in check. Depending on the year, 270HP to 290HP or so. It's basically a free revving short stroke (long rod) 5.3L.

+1 to everything Brett W said; huge knowlege base, etc.

Transaxles will always be an issue, however that's what makes the Subie engine/trans combo so appealing. Also a huge knowlege base.

Andys
bohalrantipol
QUOTE(VOX @ Sep 29 2011, 12:23 AM) *

i dont know about smaller... but the lexus 1UZ-FE V8 with VVTI, 4.0 liter, 300hp/310tq. should be cheap.

idea.gif $300 from your local scrappers all day. LS...good luck finding one of those in good shape for the prices listed, I looked all over the place and found crappy ones for $1000. If you do start that project let me know! I would love one of those with ITB...Sexy.
Ductech
I second or third the thought on the subaru drivetrain. I currently am running a EJ22 coupled to a 901 sideshifter. I think a subaru trans would give a more new drivetrain feeling but for example check this link to tiger jdm motors.

http://www.jdmtigerjapanese.com/subaru/ej2...twin-turbo.html

ej20 twin turbo for $650... I wonder how much shipping is? stock power for this motor (EJ20H) is "245" Bhp according to wikipedia

Most single turbo ej20's from this site are (EJ20G) 197 Bhp to 217 Bhp These Cost a little more at 790 right now.

http://www.jdmtigerjapanese.com/subaru/ej2...ngle-turbo.html

Now go get your self a wrx six speed trans
DBCooper
Fourth or fifth vote for the Subaru, specifically the EZ30R 3 liter six. It has only two numbers switched from the 911 firing order, so with 911 exhaust you have the same sound. And 250 naturally aspirated horsepower in a package only 75 lbs heavier than a 4 with all the boxer weight down low, so no change in handling dynamics. It's a natural.
Ductech
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Sep 29 2011, 03:09 PM) *

Fourth or fifth vote for the Subaru, specifically the EZ30R 3 liter six. It has only two numbers switched from the 911 firing order, so with 911 exhaust you have the same sound. And 250 naturally aspirated horsepower in a package only 75 lbs heavier than a 4 with all the boxer weight down low, so no change in handling dynamics. It's a natural.

The slightly less common subaru motor, But a good NA motor non the less. To bad there isn't a turbo'd version I don't think
wingnut86
Uh Oh, who's gonna rebuild those Subie Trannies happy11.gif
Brett W
I have been down the Lexus route. Had one, started building a car around it. Engine is amazing. Stout. Could make an easy 500hp completely stock with a couple of turbos stuck on it. The problems came when trying to get a trans axle that could hold up to any power and didn't shift like a lawn mower or feel like stirring a bowl of potatoes. The other problems were the odd patterns for the timing triggers. Although I think MSD now offers a plug and play ECU. Can't find the info on it though. Then you start looking at headers, or lack thereof, decent intake manifolds, etc. While neat the Lexus is heavier than many other V8s right out of the box and at 260hp its not very powerful for all that extra weight.

The LSX is the easiest solution. Yes you will pay for it, but as the old saying goes, "You get what you pay for". To properly do a conversion and not have the common hack jobs you will have to put some money into the project. The Suby is a reasonably priced conversion that doesn't screw up the car the way so many other hacked up swaps.
BIGKAT_83
I really want to see the Audi V8 swap here in Atlanta. I have not seen a Audi engine out of a car yet. I can't see how it can be much small than a LSX engine. Here are a couple of pixs comparing the LSX to a Porsche 6cyl

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
I give up. headbang.gif
wingnut86
...quit'cha belly'akin and install EV batteries EVil chair.gif
messix
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 29 2011, 03:31 PM) *

I give up. headbang.gif

just quit being stupid! slap.gif

the 3.0 beemer is a big package for a small motor.

i think you should weld two subie 4's to gether for a flat 8! aktion035.gif

just might fit!

small displacment v8's [sub 4.0L] become ineficient with a small bore and small valves to fit the bore, short stroke makes a weak torque curve and that is not what is being desinged now days.

get a crank, rod, piston set from a 4.8 and throw them into a alloy 5.3 block!
BajaXJ92
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 29 2011, 06:31 PM) *

I give up. headbang.gif

If my car is ready we'll go for a spin Saturday. sunglasses.gif
Dr Evil
I was looking for a V8 that would be a good match to the 901 so you can drop it in. I wanted a discussion on such and everyone pooped in my thread with other ideas.

I have thought of mating two flat 4 together smile.gif I will try some day, but likely when I am old.
messix
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 29 2011, 04:33 PM) *

I was looking for a V8 that would be a good match to the 901 so you can drop it in. I wanted a discussion on such and everyone pooped in my thread with other ideas.

I have thought of mating two flat 4 together smile.gif I will try some day, but likely when I am old.

the 4.8L woul;d be a good match, near 300hp and 300ftlb.

will rev happy to 7k with a good cam and springs, and head change. and in the allloy 5.3 block it will be "lite"!
Rand
Hey man, sorry for bringing up the LS. Didn't mean to piss on your thread. I just think it's a sweet setup. Renegade was installing a specially "detuned" version of them and raving about the good match to the car.

I don't know of too many options that are cheap aside from the Buick/Olds 215 / Rover.
That Hartley would be interesting, it's tiny. But BIG dollars.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(messix @ Sep 29 2011, 07:42 PM) *

will rev happy to 7k with a good cam and springs, and head change. and in the allloy 5.3 block it will be "lite"!

That is the kind of info I was looking to get smile.gif Thanks. I am V8 limited so was looking for info here from those who know for what I was interested in dreaming about.
dlkawashima
The Hartley engine meets your specs to a T:

264 rear wheel hp at 7500 rpm
200 lbs.

As small as a Ford Zetec 2.0 engine
IPB Image

Okay, so it costs $30,000 ..... you're just dreaming anyway, right?
scotty b
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Sep 29 2011, 04:26 PM) *

The Hartley engine meets your specs to a T:

264 rear wheel hp at 7500 rpm
200 lbs.

As small as a Ford Zetec 2.0 engine
IPB Image

Okay, so it costs $30,000 ..... you're just dreaming anyway, right?

Pish posh. He's a doctor. He has plenty of money to blow now rolleyes.gif
messix
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 29 2011, 04:55 PM) *

QUOTE(messix @ Sep 29 2011, 07:42 PM) *

That is the kind of info I was looking to get smile.gif Thanks. I am V8 limited so was looking for info here from those who know for what I was interested in dreaming about.

the bore is the same on the 4.8 and 5.3 motors so thats why you can stuff the 4.8 rotating assembly in to the 5.3 block.

edelbrock makes a carb intake that comes with the ingition system to run the coils off the crank trigger, pretty slick! http://www.jegs.com/p/Edelbrock/Edelbrock-...755239/10002/-1
Ductech
This is when I would normally say that you should Megasquirt said ls motor but Messix has a good point of suggesting the carb msd kit which Is kinda trick to keep the COP's
Nice find Messix simplicity can be nice.
bohalrantipol
If you want a mid engine V8 just get one of these....probably cheaper in the end.

IPB Image
Brett W
There really is no V8 for reasonable money that will work well with the 901.
messix
QUOTE(Brett W @ Sep 29 2011, 06:30 PM) *

There really is no V8 for reasonable money that will work well with the 901.

the 901 is good for up to 300 ft lb any thing that fit that spec will work great.

you might need to go flipped h to get the hwy rpm down
bfrymire
I was thinking you like the sound of a small displacment, high revving V8.

So, for some oddball ideas: Daimler V8 or the Jaguar V8. (The daimler might be hard to find, but the Jag should be easy. The Jag should
sound good, is small displacement, and never been done. Might be hard to find an adapter....)

Daimler V8 (Info from Wikipedia.)

Daimler Majestic Major Technical Data (1959 - 1968)
Numbers built - 1180
Weight - 1880 kg
Engine - 90° V-8
Displacement - 4561 cc
Bore/Stroke - 95.25 mm x 80 mm
Valvetrain - 2 valves per cylinder, OHV , Hemispherical Head.
Fuel feed - 2 SU Carburettors
Gearbox - Automatic
Drive - Rear wheel drive
Engine dimensions (with fan) - 31.25" long, 25.5" wide, 31" high Weight 498 lb (226 kg)
Performance figures
Power - 220 bhp (160 kW) @ 5500 rpm
Torque - 283 ft·lbf (384 N·m) @ 3200 rpm
Top Speed - 120 mph (190 km/h)
0-60 mph Acceleration - 10.3 seconds
Or a Jaguar V8

AJ26
The 4.0 L (3996 cc) AJ26 engine was introduced in 1996 It has a square 86 mm (3.4 in) bore and stroke. It was updated in 1998 as the AJ27 with continuously variable valve timing. The AJ-V8 was updated again in 2000 as the AJ28. The naturally aspirated version produces 290 hp (216 kW) in the 2004 XK8.
Vehicles using this engine:
Daimler V8
AJ26
1997-1998 Jaguar XJ8
1997-1998 Jaguar XK8
AJ27
1999-2004 Jaguar XJ8
1999-2004 Jaguar XK8
AJ28
2000-2002 Jaguar S-Type 281 hp, 287 ft·lbf

How's that for different! smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.