Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Trunk Release Solenoid - where to find one?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ptravnic
I have the rear reflector and have drilled a small hole in the middle of the "S" that I can push a coat hanger (actually have a perfect sized allen wrench) through to manually release. The manual cable release don't work b/c I have a trailer hitch mount that would interfere with the cable routing.

I'd prefer to have an electric option that operates from the cockpit. Who sells the solenoid setup? Are there other solenoid's that can be customized to work?

Thanks in advance!

-pt
Rand
You can have the one I removed from my car for the cost of shipping and a beer. smile.gif beerchug.gif
proto31
I had a brand new one and never installed it b/c it was pretty iffy. I'd keep the stock setup or run a cable instead of this electronic version. If it fails your SOL.

Dan
ptravnic
QUOTE(Rand @ Sep 29 2011, 04:02 PM) *

You can have the one I removed from my car for the cost of shipping and a beer. smile.gif beerchug.gif

Sounds great! I'll shoot you a PM.

-pt
76-914
QUOTE(proto31 @ Sep 29 2011, 02:20 PM) *

I had a brand new one and never installed it b/c it was pretty iffy. I'd keep the stock setup or run a cable instead of this electronic version. If it fails your SOL.

Dan

agree.gif He is right; unless you think ahead and add a hidden trip wire. I learned the hard way on a Karmann Ghia 10 yr's ago. No more lock outs for me. One other thing. If you adjust the tension too tightly or put too much in your trunk, someone will need to apply a downward force on the lid whilst you actuate it from inside. The solenoid isn't powerful enough to pull under much load.
ptravnic
QUOTE(proto31 @ Sep 29 2011, 04:20 PM) *

I'd keep the stock setup or run a cable instead of this electronic version. If it fails your SOL.

Dan

QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 29 2011, 05:32 PM) *

agree.gif He is right; unless you think ahead and add a hidden trip wire.

Perhaps you both missed where I've already sorted out the emergency release? confused24.gif
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Sep 29 2011, 01:27 PM) *

I have the rear reflector and have drilled a small hole in the middle of the "S" that I can push a coat hanger (actually have a perfect sized allen wrench) through to manually release.

76-914
I can read reading, I just can't read writing.
ptravnic
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 29 2011, 08:48 PM) *

I can read reading, I just can't read writing.

No worries. I have a used solenoid on the way from a board member.

FWIW - I don't have any real beef with the small hole drilled into the middle of the "S" on the reflector - fairly easy to push in the lock mechanism to get the trunk to open. But I'd like give it a try and set it up so that it releases via a cockpit mounted solenoid activating button. We'll see...

-pt
Bartlett 914
I never had any luck with that solenoid. The power is too weak when the plunger is raised. I have a couple here if needed. I don't recommend drilling a hole in your reflector. I made a wire through the trunk floor and I have a pull cable behind the rear valence. You really need something. If the electrical setup fails, you are locked out. I have toyed with the idea of hinging my license plate and having it pull the cable. This way I won't burn my hands on the hot muffler (again). Maybe a winter project!
Steve73
I'm The SOL that everybody else is talking about! headbang.gif

I got this car as a non runner as well. But now it starts smile.gif

The last time I had i running I meant to try hitting the button to see if it would have a little more juice and open. At one point I could hear it trying to open but after I crossed the wrong wires I hear nothing coming from the servo anymore sad.gif

BTW there seems to be no emergency cable release installed on this trunk sad.gif

This trunk hasn't been opened in over 5 years.....I wonder what it looks like inside, and what is in it?
jaxdream
QUOTE(Steve73 @ Sep 30 2011, 04:37 PM) *

I'm The SOL that everybody else is talking about! headbang.gif

I got this car as a non runner as well. But now it starts smile.gif

The last time I had i running I meant to try hitting the button to see if it would have a little more juice and open. At one point I could hear it trying to open but after I crossed the wrong wires I hear nothing coming from the servo anymore sad.gif

BTW there seems to be no emergency cable release installed on this trunk sad.gif

This trunk hasn't been opened in over 5 years.....I wonder what it looks like inside, and what is in it?

Don't mean to hijack the thread , there seems to be some differing opinions about the subject of electical trunk release - not working well........
Steve , there was some threads back a few months on a method of opening the rr trunk when the solenoid failed . IIRC it descrbed the use of a long wire ( coat hangers together ??) and a flashlight . Basicaly reaching into the trunk with the wire to hook and pull the release. But if there is someting in the trunk in the way that would be a problem . Unbolting the trunk lid would be iffy when the hinges started to lift up from the force from the hinge bars and rollers , but may be an option. Good Luck....

Jack
Steve73
piratenanner.gif

Thank you so much jaxdream for visiting me today, making a tool that unbolted my trunk and taking some time to go over the car with me!

Video of trunk getting opened!

Steve
jaxdream
No problem dude , just glad it worked out . Had a blast , just really like these old cars .

Jack
Brett W
So what is so hard about finding a modern electric trunk release. There are many modern cars with a similar mechanism that have electric trunk releases. How hard can it be to find a reliable release?
ptravnic
QUOTE(Brett W @ Oct 9 2011, 09:42 PM) *

So what is so hard about finding a modern electric trunk release. There are many modern cars with a similar mechanism that have electric trunk releases. How hard can it be to find a reliable release?

If you have a line on a modern mechanism that will work I'm all for it - whatchyagot?
Brett W
No ideas yet, was just thinking about my Wife's old 350Z. You just hit the button and it unlocks the trunk and pops the latch. Surely the same can be done with our cars. It would be kinda nice to have that on my new car.

Just a quick look on Goggle, shows this kit for doors, but i bet you could get the same solenoid for your trunk.

http://www.a1electric.com/popdoor.htm

There are other companies out there as well that can supply aftermarket kids. Tie it in with the alarm and you could pretty much have a modern arrangement.
majkos
On the Green machine, I used a bike cable and cover,run it up from rear to engine bay,driver side,where I have a small loop to pull.

sorta more theft proof smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.