Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission Level
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
7TPorsh
Pardon my ignorance. i read Andy's 31 pages and used search as well as Haynes. i can't find a simple explanation on how to check/fill the tranny oil.

901 tranny. thx
stugray
Just fill it till it wont stay in any longer ;-)

Stu
balljoint
There's an important rule about changing your tranny oil.

Something like, make sure you can get the fill plug out of the hole before you go and drain the transmission by pulling the drain plug.

As far as how full I believe you want it up to the bottom of the fill hole.

biosurfer1
You should see two hex plugs on the driver side of the tranny, one near the top and the bottom. The bottom is the drain plug and the top the filler...make sure you can take the top off BEFORE taking the bottom one off just in case the top is stuck.

like Stu said, drain the old and fill with new until it starts to come out the top. Some guys even jack up the drivers side to get a little extra in there.
budk
Yep, fill it from the upper hole until it starts to come back out. beer3.gif
Rotary'14
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Sep 29 2011, 11:42 AM) *

Pardon my ignorance. i read Andy's 31 pages and used search as well as Haynes. i can't find a simple explanation on how to check/fill the tranny oil.

901 tranny. thx

There are 2 17mm drain plugs on the right side of the transmission case. One is low, we use this one to drain the gear oil. After draining the oil, you should wipe up any bits of shaving on the magnetic plug and re-install it. The other "upper" drain plug is used to fill the transmission. You would pump in gear oil until the oil is level with the upper drain hole.

You need a 17mm hex key to loosen the drain plugs,, I recomend using one of these,,,

Richard Casto
All good info except that I don't agree about trying to overfill. I see no advantage overfilling some and you can get leaks at the seals around the output flanges if it is overfilled.

Make sure it's level, use the right tool. Make sure you can get the fill plug out before you remove the drain plug. Don't overtighten when reinstalling the plugs.

Richard
7TPorsh
Great info. Just need to get that hex tool. Any one have an image handy? Knowing me I'll loosen the wrong thing and have the engine fall on me. thx
7TPorsh
Also i've seen some debate on oil to use. What's the easiest to obtain?

Don't want synthetic; i'm still old school. Is it like gear oil where you squeeze it out of the bottle?
Valy
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Sep 29 2011, 01:35 PM) *

Great info. Just need to get that hex tool. Any one have an image handy? Knowing me I'll loosen the wrong thing and have the engine fall on me. thx

Since I'm cheap I use a 17mm hex head bolt with 2 nuts locked on it. My special $1 gear oil cap tool biggrin.gif
jaxdream
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Sep 29 2011, 01:00 PM) *

Also i've seen some debate on oil to use. What's the easiest to obtain?

Don't want synthetic; i'm still old school. Is it like gear oil where you squeeze it out of the bottle?

Dino oil , 80-90 gear oil, no less than GL-5 rating. What I'll be using once the transmission goes back together.

Jack
Dr Evil
GL-5 80-90 is the recommended. Dont over fill, that is dumb.
Cevan
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Sep 29 2011, 03:07 PM) *

You should see two hex plugs on the driver side of the tranny, one near the top and the bottom. The bottom is the drain plug and the top the filler...make sure you can take the top off BEFORE taking the bottom one off just in case the top is stuck.

like Stu said, drain the old and fill with new until it starts to come out the top. Some guys even jack up the drivers side to get a little extra in there.

Plugs are on the passenger side.
Dave_Darling
Swepco is also a good option, but it is much more expensive.

If you have a local parts place that specializes in old Bugs, get the transmission fill plug wrench from them. Bugs use the same plug on the trans.

Or better yet, get it from Pelican and make my boss happy. wink.gif

Here's an exploded pic of the transmission housing:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/Parts/Tran...earings_big.htm

The drain and fill plugs are #1 and #2 on that diagram. The picture there is taken as if from the right-rear corner of the car. The back of the trans is facing you, and is pointing slightly to your left. You're looking at the passenger's side of the trans there. That's where the plugs are, in front of the intermediate plate and behind the diff cover.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.