Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My car is becoming a race car...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
It may take a while, but it will.

I've seen many nice cars in person recently.
I'm inspired to modify. It's a transformer, if you will. wink.gif

Andy Schmidt's , Martin Baker's, Bill Pickering's , Randal Barrick's, Rich Bontempi's, Steve Nieslony's, Rob Ways', Darren Dowd's, The Jagermeister GT, etc.

I have many items on the wish list...Don't you?

My six in the car
Five point harness
Killer exhaust
Freaky trans
Crazy big brakes
Rear flares ( like that e-bay thing )
Front spoiler
Misc fiberglass
5 lug coversion
Slicks ( track only )
Roll cage
Removable track wing

...and keep it street legal. Ouch...

I'm outta control. wacko.gif

T Racer
Joe Ricard
Well don't look in your mirror long as I will be there soon also.

What's the saying? "Porsche only makes race cars, But some of them can be driven on the street." or something like that. My co-worker and are always poking fun. I tell him it is easier to drive a Porsche on the street that a Ford on the track.
watsonrx13
Yea, me too. All I need now is a LOT of MONEY and a LOT of TIME.
nine14cats
Trekkor....

Do it smilie_pokal.gif Do it smilie_pokal.gif Do it smilie_pokal.gif

laugh.gif Welcome to the dark side...muuuhahahahahah

Bill P.
Randal
When you first start modifying that pretty little car a voice goes off in the back of your head that says, "Don't change that beautifuf little car, you'll ruin the value and everyone will think your stupid."

But after the first (or "Nth") modification you don't pay attention to that voice anymore.
Once you start you never go back.

I love race cars.
DougC
T Racer, I just lowered the price on the 5 point harness I'm offering in classifieds - $70

Doug C
J P Stein
Hay, Doug, do you have a pic and/or some dimensions on that fuel cell?

Mines becoming a race car also confused24.gif
nine14cats
Hey JP,

I just got the pics from doug... ohmy.gif I'm looking at that thing too...I just haven't measured around the trunk yet to see how much room I've got left for my oil cooler setup...i'm upgrading to a "BIG" cooler...

laugh.gif
Trekkor
Oh yeah, I need racing seats, too. ohmy.gif

T to be fast
dinomium
If I could just find where my wife hid the check book, one of mine would be heading that way...
still might
wink.gif
GaroldShaffer
When you first start modifying that pretty little car a voice goes off in the back of your head that says, "Don't change that beautifuf little car, you'll ruin the value and everyone will think your stupid."

But after the first (or "Nth") modification you don't pay attention to that voice anymore.
Once you start you never go back.

I love race cars.

I know what you mean. My car keeps saying do it, the PO has it off to a good start already so might as well finish it devil.gif Did I say that out loud ohmy.gif biggrin.gif
theol00
I am with you guys - started out with just a 6 conversion for the street...
ahhh well..this weekend off to Sears Point (I still can't say Infineon Race Way) smilie_flagge24.gif
Brad Roberts
T,

I would first invest in a decent seat. It will be worth 1-2 seconds at the end of the day. The body starts to fatigue when you are trying to hold yourself in place around every corner.

I say run the car as is.. sell it.. then buy someones elses "project". It will be cheaper in the long run.

B
Randal
I say run the car as is.. sell it.. then buy someones elses "project". It will be cheaper in the long run.

Mr. T... Dr. Brad is right. You've done more in 6 months than most of us in 3 years.

Rich Bontempi told me day one, when I first went in to his shop, to drive the car for at least a year just to get seat time.

Say after me, what is important, "SEAT TIME"......
Rich Bontempi
Repeat after Randal----SEAT TIME!!!
Mueller
I think that a time trial or road course type class in your 914 will make a huge difference as well........you have more time to "think and learn/practice" than on the auto-x course......
nine14cats
Watch out Trekkor. Once on the tracks...you're really screwed...money flies out of the pockets then!

But I like it an order of magnitude over Auto-X!

And if you're willing to spend the money, building your car from scratch is fun. Expensive. But fun!

Bill P.
URY914
I like building my car but I REALLY like driving it.
Buy a running project car so you can drive it and work on it.

Paul
Randal
Mr. T.

Seat time not only gives you the experience to become a better driver, it also helps you decide where you want to compete.

With all the classes and options before you it's easy to spend a lot of time and money on your car and then turn around and do something completely different, when you finally figure out what you REALLY want to do.

Bill's suggestion to take a drivers eductation course is a good one. For $250, a motel room, gas and some safety equipment, you'll have a ball over the 3 day event. But heed his other warning, as it is seriously addicting.
Trekkor
Well, 8 months have passed. I've run 14 a/x's and one night of drag racing.

The season has just started and the WCC track day should be amazing.

My suspension is dialed, I'm on race tires, the SIX is monsterous, what can I say? Things are working out in my favor. mueba.gif

KT
J P Stein
Well, yes.
I can no longer drive mine on the street...legaly....so it must be a racin' type vechical...or a pile of parts. I like the former. biggrin.gif
Thorshammer
I drive mine on the street all the time, but the open exhaust and the lack of a license plate pisses the cops off.

Erik M
Joe Ricard
14 Autocross event is 8 months? pray.gif Damn you are my hero. I guess I better get my shit together and get racing. I think I have 8 or 9. since end of August. I missed 2 because of weather and schedule conflicts. Do I get double credit if my son co-drives at each event?

I guess I will let him keep driving my car until he beats me. then it is alfred.gif Get your own damn car. I'm going to AX school Friday and Sat. racing the 20th. mueba.gif
grantsfo
Yeah I'm starting to slip down the same slope as well. HPH is putting some headers on the car now and I'm going with brake pads more suited for track as well. I'm hoping to have race wheels with r compound tires coming together this week. Recent installations include 5 point harnesses, lightened flywheel and 911 clutch. Oh yeah tuna can going on since I'm trying r compound for the first time.

I'm planning on the following over the next year

Cage - this is a tough one for me. I need some sort of extension that I can bolt on since I dont fit in the car top on with my helmet.
Carbonfiber or fiberglass hoods, bumpers
I'll probably stay with a 4 cylinder but dump my wimpy 1.8 in favor of a 2.0 or larger.
5 lug conversion
Bigger brakes
More aggressive suspension
Probably bigger fenders and bigger wheels/tires too.

xitspd
QUOTE (trekkor @ Jul 20 2004, 10:22 PM)
It may take a while, but it will.

I've seen many nice cars in person recently.
I'm inspired to modify. It's a transformer, if you will. wink.gif

Andy Schmidt's , Martin Baker's, Bill Pickering's , Randal Barrick's, Rich Bontempi's, Steve Nieslony's, Rob Ways', Darren Dowd's, The Jagermeister GT, etc.

I have many items on the wish list...Don't you?

My six in the car
Five point harness
Killer exhaust
Freaky trans
Crazy big brakes
Rear flares ( like that e-bay thing )
Front spoiler
Misc fiberglass
5 lug coversion
Slicks ( track only )
Roll cage
Removable track wing

...and keep it street legal. Ouch...

I'm outta control. wacko.gif

T Racer

Oh yes, Trekkor! You have been bitten. Brisk Confidence still best with woman copes: / Pique her and sooth in turn - soon Passion crowns thy hopes.
Trekkor
compare the two. Taken about 16 months apart.
user posted image

KT
McMark
QUOTE (trekkor @ Mar 30 2005, 08:34 PM)
compare the two. Taken about 16 months apart.

The first picture has a targa top. confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.