Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Rear Springs #
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nebreitling
Hi gang

i've got the ax bug. i need WAY more seat time, but like everyone else, i'm throwing some $$ at the car anyway.

doing my "stage 1" suspension upgrade on the cheap, and just bought Randal's Bilstein shocks.

with stock t-bars and a 21mm Welt (w/ adjustable droplinks), how stiff should the rear springs be? i'm thinking 150? i'm young, so i don't mind a rough ride.

Brad, Rich, you got any springs in stock or laying around?

also, how $$ would it be to slap on a threaded collar set up to these? is it worth it?

all input welcome.

nathan beerchug.gif
Brad Roberts
Nathan,

Eibach 175's will run you 125.00
Collars,Perches,Tops will run you 119.00

Bring the yellow Bilstein buy the shop. I bunged up the threads on it when removing it. I'll clean it up with a die.

Most of the BP guy's are on 200's unless they have a rear bar (then 175's) This works fine if you have a 21mm front bar and say 22mm torsion bars (the 200's) If you only have a 21mm bar then I would stick with the 175's.

Recently I'm subscribing to the large bar soft torsion theory. Buying new torsion bars is getting tougher for the 914 splines....so run a larger front bar to compensate. The ride quality is MUCH better.

B
Randal

Bring the yellow Bilstein buy the shop

I'll bring them by on Friday morning Brad.
nebreitling
awesome. thanks guys.

i like the idea of the 175's, if they're not too much for my stock tbars (don't feel the need to upgrade these just yet) and 21 sway.

i've got a stock rear bar right now that i can play with/without.

n
nebreitling
see you tomorrow. you good for 10, randal?
Randal
Should be OK for 10:00AM.
Brad Roberts
Come by at 11:30 and you guy's can take ME to lunch :finger2:

B
Dave_Darling
If you want to be in the Improved category (I forget if you have a header; if so you're out of B-i) 140s are the max. If you're going to Production, springs and torsion bars are unlimited.

--DD
Randal
you guy's can take ME to lunch

Found a great Taco place on Woodside Road if your interested.
nebreitling
that sounds good, actually.

Randal, wanna make it 11.30 to appease sir Brasshole's appetite?

chowtime.gif
Brad Roberts
Dave,

he already has a race header. He was in BP and didnt know it..

Randal,

I think we have 20-30 Taco places within 3 miles of the shop.

B
seanery
I like the taco joint right up the street. UMMMM, YUMMY! get an orange Jarritos while you're there, too.
J P Stein
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 21 2004, 08:18 PM)

Recently I'm subscribing to the large bar soft torsion theory. Buying new torsion bars is getting tougher for the 914 splines....so run a larger front bar to compensate. The ride quality is MUCH better.

B

Since we're talkin' theory, here's mine.

I wanna run the car as low as possible.
Ax venues are a bit rough....even the best of em'...mine are rougher than a cob (but that's my problem.) I could get another 3/4 inch of travel at the front with dropped $pindle$.

To run it low, stiffer springs and/or t-bars are necessary to keep the thing from bottoming out the shox. Stiffer t-bars will cause the car to push. Stiffer front AR bar will cause the car to push. Running on the front bumpstops will cause push. biggrin.gif

Stiffer rear springs will cause oversteer....softer front AR bar will cause oversteer.

Front & rear tires of the same size will not necessarly be an advantage either way......less weight on the front (and some gratitius wheel spin) keeps the fronts cooler than the rears...and thus less sticky.

With the front bar at full soft, I'm now unweighting the inside rear tire occasionally.....makes that tire nice and warm. It still pushes a bit, but is gettin better. I'm gonna go to stiffer rear springs
to increase the roll stiffness without using a rear bar.
Prolly to 275 (from 225). Then (maybe) I can
I can add stiffness to the front bar without makin' it push.

It would be nice to have a simple theory/solution, eh? confused24.gif

JPIII.....seeking balance in all things, but specially in AX laugh.gif
Brad Roberts
I'm still thinking about this JP. Dont give up.

Something you didnt mention: cornerweights.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.